The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

inksplodge
Welcome to my life :awesome: I have worked night shift since October, and I still can't sleep properly :tongue: I generally go to bed an hour after I get home, and have eaten etc. Then I sleep for 8hours if I can, get up etc.

D: It's already messing with my social life.

How soon can I enquire about switching shifts do you think? And who to? Also, if I see a job on the website I want, how would I go about that already being an employee?
AdamLeliel
D: It's already messing with my social life.

How soon can I enquire about switching shifts do you think? And who to? Also, if I see a job on the website I want, how would I go about that already being an employee?

You'd hate to work weekends then; I work Thursday/Friday/Saturday, I can't remember the last time I actually did something... What days do you work? Are they in a row?

You could go and ask them about it now but I don't think they'll be very happy about it! Ours wouldn't anyway hah. There may not be any space for you to move immediately... one of the guys on our shift had to wait a couple of months :dontknow: Speak to your manager I suppose :smile:
I need some advice. I'm trying to get a transfer for uni. I've spoken to my HR who's said that there are no vacancies and its unlikely there will be in the near future at the store's i'm trying to get a transfer for. They've said that come September i'll have to resign as they can't jusitify me taking unpaid leave for that amount of time. I really don't want to leave Sainsbury's and at the very least i was expecting to be granted unpaid leave.

However, i've discovered that the store's i'm trying to get a transfer to have been recruiting in the past couple of days. I went to my HR about 2 weeks ago. Why was they recruiting externally when they had been contacted about a possible transfer that could work the hours advertising. It wouldn't let me apply for these jobs as i was already employed by them. I really don't know what to do but i feel slightly cheated out of a job.
inksplodge
You'd hate to work weekends then; I work Thursday/Friday/Saturday, I can't remember the last time I actually did something... What days do you work? Are they in a row?

You could go and ask them about it now but I don't think they'll be very happy about it! Ours wouldn't anyway hah. There may not be any space for you to move immediately... one of the guys on our shift had to wait a couple of months :dontknow: Speak to your manager I suppose :smile:

I work Fridays/Sundays/Mondays (:

Yeah, I wasn't planning on asking until maybe my probationary period was over or something.
Reply 5624
Does anyone know if you can access connect from home? If so what's the website. Thanks guys :smile:
I will soon be joining you all in this thread...induction days are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Sort of looking forward to it as it's money I suppose.
I'll have been working at Sainsburys Melksham for 10 months on Sunday, but I'm happy because my last day is the Friday following! Woop bring on uni and no work!

/end of useless addition to thread
Just over a month and I'll have been at Sainsbury's a year. Really??? Time flies.
Reply 5628
welshliz
Does anyone know if you can access connect from home? If so what's the website. Thanks guys :smile:

No, it's only an internal intranet site, so you cannot access it on a non-JS pc
What's on Connect? Me being a lowly checkout girl, nobody has ever told me it existed. :P Am I missing anything interesting?
Reply 5630
connect is one crazy place for information, there is even a forum on there where colleagues from stores can have a whinge, ive posted once on there :biggrin:. just a few weeks ago i found a recruitment page for head office jobs, shame i dont qualify for any. you can find a nice plan of all the stores and where things are on there, find out what goes on every plinth, news for every department, and a lot more.

other than that it is not much fun, it is hard to navigate your way round.
Reply 5631
fotcmel
Anyone worked in a small local store and a supermarket. I work in a local one and just wondered if it is worse or better? as i hate it..

I worked in a Sainsburys Local, currently working in a main supermarket Sainsburys. I preferred the Local in pretty much everyway, and if I were to transfer again it would be to a Local.

What is it about working at the Local that you hate?
What are the final interviews like? I did my DVD test last week and passed, this Tuesday I have an interview. What exactly are they looking for at an interview or what aren't they looking for?
we don't even have pcs at work so its not like any of us could look on it aha
kyle_y
I worked in a Sainsburys Local, currently working in a main supermarket Sainsburys. I preferred the Local in pretty much everyway, and if I were to transfer again it would be to a Local.

What is it about working at the Local that you hate?

Used to work in a main supermarket and now in a local. I absolutely love the local, it's so much more chilled out, fewer stupid rules, better people at this store. Just generally less ****.
Reply 5635
BeesKnees
Used to work in a main supermarket and now in a local. I absolutely love the local, it's so much more chilled out, fewer stupid rules, better people at this store. Just generally less ****.

:ditto:

And a hell of a lot more overtime! And a more friendly environment.
i kinda want to move to the petrol station or something i'm fed up of my store :mad: and their crap!
what do you put in a notice letter?
gunners r us
what do you put in a notice letter?

Something like,

Dear whoever,
I am writing to inform you that I am handing in my notice. My last working day will be *date*. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of your team, yours sincerely, *name*.

Sunds a bit short but I don't think anything else needs to be said.
teh_samby
Something like,

Dear whoever,
I am writing to inform you that I am handing in my notice. My last working day will be *date*. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of your team, yours sincerely, *name*.

Sunds a bit short but I don't think anything else needs to be said.

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending