Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I get two 30 min breaks. It's quite nice. Definitely makes a 10 hour shift go a heck of a lot faster =/

New contract starts on Sunday, woohoo! Shame I'm losing about £300 a month but hoping my rent, tax etc goes down a little so in reality I won't lose that much. After tax, rent bills etc I am "only" left with about £400-£500 anyway lol. Any idea how to work out how much tax/ni I'll pay on £618 a month?
    Well NI is unaffected by tax, so you'll pay the 11% contributions on anything over £110/week, which converts to £440/month.

So £618-440 = £178 * 0.11 = £19.58

£618 - £19.58 = £598.42

Then it depends if your paying tax? If your in the personal allowance 647L tax code, then you won't. But if you are, it will be 20%

£598.42 - £119.68 = £478.74

It's more complicated if you exceed your personal allowance in the month of being paid...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by otu1987)
    Well NI is unaffected by tax, so you'll pay the 11% contributions on anything over £110/week, which converts to £440/month.

So £618-440 = £178 * 0.11 = £19.58

£618 - £19.58 = £598.42

Then it depends if your paying tax? If your in the personal allowance 647L tax code, then you won't. But if you are, it will be 20%

£598.42 - £119.68 = £478.74

It's more complicated if you exceed your personal allowance in the month of being paid...
    Yep I'm on 647L tax code. Only started paying tax for the first time in April. Wasn't paying tax [just NI] til then Currently I'm paying £86 tax, £54 NI a month...

Thanks very much for the NI calculations!

ReputationRep:
    A certain someone cannot wait for the day they can hand their notice in!!! - Bad day !
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh I can't wait for that day either lol. But it'll do for now

ReputationRep:
    Hey what would you guys suggest wearing on the induction days?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I did have a look through the thread and couldn't find anything plus I got bored going through it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Hey what would you guys suggest wearing on the induction days?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I did have a look through the thread and couldn't find anything plus I got bored going through it
    Formal but not over the top. It's just signing forms again and again but they want you dressed smart anyway. In saying that, I was told I could turn up in a t-shirt tomorrow so...

My first day of induction I went in jeans and a hoody. Most people dress smartly but it really doesn't matter - you have the job and you're going to be sitting in the training room all day. The second day we were all in our uniforms.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I recently started a night shift position and I really want to switch to days.

I was wondering when the best time to ask would be. Would it be when I am made permanent (it's very likely that all of the new night staff will be made permanant) in October or after my probationary period, which is mid-December?

It's been making me quite ill and I feel like my weeks are disappearing because of sleep.

Ideally I'd want to switch my days too and have more days to make up the loss of money from the night shift premium. Reckon I'd be able to do this?

ReputationRep:
    Quick question:

Is it considered fraud to take a customers Nectar card and then spend their points?

I've not done this, but I ask because I'm trying to work out the reason why someone was dismissed
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tykkylumi)
    Hi, I recently started a night shift position and I really want to switch to days.

I was wondering when the best time to ask would be. Would it be when I am made permanent (it's very likely that all of the new night staff will be made permanant) in October or after my probationary period, which is mid-December?

It's been making me quite ill and I feel like my weeks are disappearing because of sleep.

Ideally I'd want to switch my days too and have more days to make up the loss of money from the night shift premium. Reckon I'd be able to do this?
    Welcome to night shift! Didn't anyone tell you that was going to happen? lol.

Depends on:
    a. if they have any spaces
    b. if they have enough shifts going spare.

You probably won't make up losing the night shift premium. We have had three people go onto days and they all said they've lost a lot of money :dontknow: It was also very hard for these people to get a day job in our store because there wasn't any space for them. I'd personally ask now before they hire xmas temps, worse they could do is say no. As for switching days, again, it'd depend if they have any shifts spare...

As much as I hate nights, I definitely wouldn't want to go on to days.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Quick question:

Is it considered fraud to take a customers Nectar card and then spend their points?

I've not done this, but I ask because I'm trying to work out the reason why someone was dismissed
    I would say yes. That's a pretty **** thing to do to be honest haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview for customer service assistant, im just wondering how many people will they be interviewing for the post.
    The store is still being built and I cant seem to find the opening date anywhere..
    Also, one of the shifts is due to start at 6 on a Thursday evening but I have a lecture until 6 up until Christmas on a Thursday, what would they be like if i asked them to start an hour later and finish an hour later, I just don't want this to jepourdise my chances of getting the job.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just had my interview. I was told on the phone that my interview would consist of a one to one and a dvd test but I only had a one to one? It was for the night shift and the man just filled in a form whilst asking me questions which took about 20mins all in all.

Can someone tell me what is going on here?

He said I'll know by friday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I would say yes. That's a pretty **** thing to do to be honest haha.
    It turned out the person was dismissed for fraud and possibly harassment to a person of the opposite sex (Colleague).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Just had my interview. I was told on the phone that my interview would consist of a one to one and a dvd test but I only had a one to one? It was for the night shift and the man just filled in a form whilst asking me questions which took about 20mins all in all.

Can someone tell me what is going on here?

He said I'll know by friday?
    That doesn't sound right. I'm sure the dvd is part of the recruitment process. Depending on how well you score in that will determine if you are successful as everything is done from a central HR.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I dont understand. The man seem very positive? Im thinking to call HR or should I wait to see what the store comes back and tells me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    This is what I dont understand. The man seem very positive? Im thinking to call HR or should I wait to see what the store comes back and tells me
    I would wait til Friday. I had my interview on a Wednesday and knew by Friday morning.

If you are not successful, contact HR and explain what happened. Perhaps there is perfectly good reason why you didn't get the dvd but if you are unsuccessful, raise your concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Quick question:

yep, i'd say so

was an article about a customer being banned from sainsbury's for using someone elses card
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20100813...r-107bc4a.html
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As LordOfTheIsles said I'd wait til Friday. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.