Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    As LordOfTheIsles said I'd wait til Friday. Good luck.
    Cheers mate
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Cheers mate
    There's not that many of us here that do night shifts. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    hey.

so i've been working in sainsbury's for a week. this morning i was having my till training. the checkout leader had me putting stuff through in training mode for a while, then after a while he took the till out of training mode and watched me serve some customers. he said i was doing fine so he left me to do it myself. i wasn't feeling too confident so i put the till back in training mode (he'd given me his log on number cos i haven't got a log on number of my own yet) and i was just looking through all the fruit and veg on the PLU button to try and memorise it, lol.

anyway a customer came along and so i put their shopping through and they paid with card. they were in a rush so typed in their pin, took their card and then left before the receipt printed out. when it did print out i went to put it in the bin but i noticed that it had TRAINING MODE written all over it - i didn't realise it was still in training mode!

the guy only bought 2 bottles of coke (£1.50 or something) but i'm absolutely terrified that i let someone go without paying - i mean, he put his pin in exactly as normal and the box came up on screen like "correct pin accepted" or whatever it says, and then the sale finished and the receipt printed, so it was like authorised with the card company and everything, but it was in training mode, so did it actually charge his card or not?!?

i didn't say anything to the checkout leader because it was only my first day on the till and i've only been hear a week and i was so worried that i'd made a huge mistake and i'd get in trouble (he'd been really nice and patient all day and i didn't want to mess it up) but what if they find out and i get sacked??? i really need this job!

so does anyone know whether or not the customer would have been charged or whether i let him go with free stuff? oh my god i'm so scared, please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devon-la-la)
    hey.

so i've been working in sainsbury's for a week. this morning i was having my till training. the checkout leader had me putting stuff through in training mode for a while, then after a while he took the till out of training mode and watched me serve some customers. he said i was doing fine so he left me to do it myself. i wasn't feeling too confident so i put the till back in training mode (he'd given me his log on number cos i haven't got a log on number of my own yet) and i was just looking through all the fruit and veg on the PLU button to try and memorise it, lol.

anyway a customer came along and so i put their shopping through and they paid with card. they were in a rush so typed in their pin, took their card and then left before the receipt printed out. when it did print out i went to put it in the bin but i noticed that it had TRAINING MODE written all over it - i didn't realise it was still in training mode!

the guy only bought 2 bottles of coke (£1.50 or something) but i'm absolutely terrified that i let someone go without paying - i mean, he put his pin in exactly as normal and the box came up on screen like "correct pin accepted" or whatever it says, and then the sale finished and the receipt printed, so it was like authorised with the card company and everything, but it was in training mode, so did it actually charge his card or not?!?

i didn't say anything to the checkout leader because it was only my first day on the till and i've only been hear a week and i was so worried that i'd made a huge mistake and i'd get in trouble (he'd been really nice and patient all day and i didn't want to mess it up) but what if they find out and i get sacked??? i really need this job!

so does anyone know whether or not the customer would have been charged or whether i let him go with free stuff? oh my god i'm so scared, please help!!
    The customer was not charged. Since it wasn't a massive transaction, nothing major will happen so just tell someone straight what happened. It was human error, they'll understand.

If you make a mistake always tell someone at the first instance otherwise you'll get accused of putting stuff through, without charging them for your own benefit etc.

In future, only use your own number. You could have looked through PLU on your won cashier number in "normal" mode. Your Team Leader gave you his number so he was technically in the wrong.

Again, just tell someone and be honest and say you was afraid of the consequences.

Don't worry, we've all done similar things. Yesterday I think I may have given a £20 shop away for free by accident. I told the duty manager, simply to cover my back about what happened.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview for customer service assistant, im just wondering how many people will they be interviewing for the post.
    The store is still being built and I cant seem to find the opening date anywhere..
    Also, one of the shifts is due to start at 6 on a Thursday evening but I have a lecture until 6 up until Christmas on a Thursday, what would they be like if i asked them to start an hour later and finish an hour later, I just don't want this to jepourdise my chances of getting the job.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuvyLauren)
    Hi,

I have an interview for customer service assistant, im just wondering how many people will they be interviewing for the post.
    The store is still being built and I cant seem to find the opening date anywhere..
    Also, one of the shifts is due to start at 6 on a Thursday evening but I have a lecture until 6 up until Christmas on a Thursday, what would they be like if i asked them to start an hour later and finish an hour later, I just don't want this to jepourdise my chances of getting the job.

Thanks
    I don't have experience with a new store opening (My store opened a year before I was born!), but in older stores they usually allow people to change the advertised shift times slightly.

With a new store I suspect that they advertised those hours because you are needed exclusively between those hours, so chances are slightly lower that they'll allow you to change the advertised shift times.

Just go to the interview and ask them. Can't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I just started my induction at sainsburys but I need to change my hours. I only need to change one of my shifts to half an hour later because in september i won't be able to make it in time. When i first went for an interview i told the person that and they said it should be fine but i'd need to speak to my department manager. I then got the job, but i've been doing my training at another store so i wont meet any of my managers til next week and by then i'll need to of changed my hours by the following week. She said it should be ok at my interview because its during the week so not a busy period but now i'm kind of fretting about it. Do you guys think they'll be ok about it and let me change it? Sorry, i'm a bit of a worrier haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuvyLauren)
    Hi,

Thanks
    You will find that you will have an interview slot with a 5-10 other people and about 2 interviewers (mine was store manager and customer service manager). You'll wait for everyone to get there, take the DVD test as a group and then wait to be called in for a 1 on 1 interview.
    If it is a new store, the interview will take place at a nearby store. When you're there show your interest and ask when the store opens ect...

They will ask you if you can work the advertised shift patterns in the interview. From experience, they like you to be able to do the advertised shifts. You can always ask!

ReputationRep:
    Is USDAW (workers union) really worth joining?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    I suppose it depends if you feel you'll need them. My boyfriend joined them and up until now hadn't needed to use them, but he had a massive problem with pay and sickness and they've really been fighting against management about it. So, I guess they are pretty good... I don't plan on staying at Sbury's for that long so I didn't see the point in joining but if you are then I'd say it's probably worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    If your job has a degree of risk to it i.e - you can be easily accused of something something when you haven't - such as being a team leader, or even a supervisor on checkouts, it may be worth investing in it.

I personally haven't joined it, and if I do run into trouble, i'm mates with the USDAW rep so I can get him to come in with me ^_^

ReputationRep:
    Do you get paid any extra for working bank holiday?

(Original post by odriscoll)
    Do you get paid any extra for working bank holiday?
    Yeah but it's only 1.5x.

ReputationRep:
    why is the questionnaire so hard to get through?
    why do they have "matrix" mind blogging questions?
    is it so hard to stack shelfs and use the checkouts?

i always put customers first. i treat em' like gold.
    but...enough is enough. i have failed the questionnnaire four times.

four bloody times.

can i please have feedback and tips? below are some examples question. thank.

"there are many customer waiting to be served...the phone is a ringing...what do you do?"
    a. check the phone and serve
    b. ask ur team leader you need more help
    c.serve first and answer the phone

i would put C!

another mind fking question.

it is a busy christmas day and u see a child looking lost with no parents and playing with a toy what do you do?

a. keep a eye on them until their parents come back
    b. leave them
    c. go and announce "a lost child etc"

i would put A

another question that really confuses me is...

"you are doing a busy shift restacking but u know you cant finish it tonight what do you do?"
    a. tell ya team leader that u can't finish it
    b. work at ur own pste and not finish it
    c. tell tya manager u will do it 2m

i would pick A

a customer comes up to u at a busy time and tells u there is a pile of broken vase, (they found it like that) they also want the same vase but not broken...

u go and find her the vase and clear the glass
    tell her it's not her fault and she won't have to pay
    clear the glass as others may trip and find her the vase
    tell her you have no idea how it got broken

i;d put the first one.

plus. i've never had a job before. do sainsbury want to employee someone with more experience?

(Original post by Plimbu23)
    You're the sort of person they're trying to weed out with the questionnaire. If you're that narrow minded about it, you aren't going to be able to convince them you can deliver good customer service.

Or, to answer your question another way, because what you said could be construed as degrading those of us who do work at Sainsburys, clearly it is difficult because you can't do one simple questionnaire.

And yeah your answers are wrong - and we can't tell you what the correct answers are. You don't need experience, just common sense (and a bit of courtesy... and know what Sainsburys would expect from you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordOfTheIsles)
    I would wait til Friday. I had my interview on a Wednesday and knew by Friday morning.

If you are not successful, contact HR and explain what happened. Perhaps there is perfectly good reason why you didn't get the dvd but if you are unsuccessful, raise your concerns.
    Yep, received an email this morning telling me I was unsuccessful. I am going to contact HR because I do not see how they made this decision without me taking the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plimbu23)

i always put customers first. i treat em' like gold.
    but...enough is enough. i have failed the questionnnaire four times.

four bloody times.

can i please have feedback and tips? below are some examples question. thank.

"there are many customer waiting to be served...the phone is a ringing...what do you do?"
    a. check the phone and serve
    b. ask ur team leader you need more help
    c.serve first and answer the phone

i would put C!

another mind fking question.

it is a busy christmas day and u see a child looking lost with no parents and playing with a toy what do you do?

a. keep a eye on them until their parents come back
    b. leave them
    c. go and announce "a lost child etc"

i would put A

another question that really confuses me is...

"you are doing a busy shift restacking but u know you cant finish it tonight what do you do?"
    a. tell ya team leader that u can't finish it
    b. work at ur own pste and not finish it
    c. tell tya manager u will do it 2m

i would pick A

a customer comes up to u at a busy time and tells u there is a pile of broken vase, (they found it like that) they also want the same vase but not broken...

u go and find her the vase and clear the glass
    tell her it's not her fault and she won't have to pay
    clear the glass as others may trip and find her the vase
    tell her you have no idea how it got broken

i;d put the first one.

plus. i've never had a job before. do sainsbury want to employee someone with more experience?
    Read through this thread (And the original one before it got closed), and you'll see that I and a number of others have said the customer is not always right.

And what FXX said is right. With the wrong attitude, your not going to get far. You need good multi-taking skills. For example, on checkouts (When running them), you need to be collecting the returns, managing breaks and monitoring the queues, then you'll get someone who has forgot something and you'll need to get that. While doing that your more than often asked by another customer on the shop floor where xyz is.

During all this, you can get a phone call from your manager asking for the number of trolleys of returns there are.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My store better start looking for an entire new night shift at this rate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Yep, received an email this morning telling me I was unsuccessful. I am going to contact HR because I do not see how they made this decision without me taking the test.
    Sorry to hear that. Yes, definatly contact HR because something wasn't right and hopefully they can arrange for a proper interview for you. Let us know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my induction and I can't believe how fake it all is. The actors speak to you like you're stupid and Sainsbury's is the greatest place ever that you can possibly ever work.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.