Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't tell them, but don't spend it yet. Wait a few weeks and if nothing is said, then spend it. Then if they ask later on say you didn't realise but agree to pay it back in installments - you can pay it back at a fiver a week so you don't really miss out.

ReputationRep:
    hello, i have recently started working at sainsburys and can anyone tell me about the plu menu. How do you get the screen up where you can type in the plu code because at the moment i am always having to find them on the plu menu and it would be so much easier if i could type the code in...thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    I have a rule.

Only moan if i get underpaid :yep:

Ive never been overpaid though.
    Haha so true. You can be damn sure I'd be straight down there if they'd underpaid me!

(Original post by FXX)
    Don't tell them, but don't spend it yet. Wait a few weeks and if nothing is said, then spend it. Then if they ask later on say you didn't realise but agree to pay it back in installments - you can pay it back at a fiver a week so you don't really miss out.
    Sounds like a plan, might just put the extra money in a seperate account for now and see if they ask for it back.
    My contract finishes in a couple of weeks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie.)
    Haha so true. You can be damn sure I'd be straight down there
    if they'd underpaid me!

Sounds like a plan, might just put the extra money in a seperate account for now and see if they ask for it back.
    My contract finishes in a couple of weeks anyway!
    They underpaid me last month, i just went and kicked up a fuss, and it was on this months paycheck, My taxs and NI was a total of £98, and my old pay was £97, so i didnt even see my owed pay

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be rude but can anyone answer my previous question. thank you.

ReputationRep:
    They underpaid me last month, i just went and kicked up a fuss, and it was on this months paycheck, My taxs and NI was a total of £98, and my old pay was £97, so i didnt even see my owed pay
    Aww tax and NI sucks! At least I can escape tax by only working in the hols, not so much the NI though! Ah well it will pay for the measly state pension one day I guess.

Just consider this months contributions as (almost) 'free'!

(Original post by zxcvbnmqwertyuiopasdfghjk)
    sorry to be rude but can anyone answer my previous question. thank you.
    Sorry I would help but I don't do checkouts!

ReputationRep:
    I could do with some help. I just got a job at Sainsburys and just completed my induction with checkout training/first shift on Sunday (I work Sun, Mon, Tues). However, I just got a call today offering me the position of Supervisor at "The Works" (I'm still in shock as I'm only 16). It's closer to home and slightly more hours. What would you do (and also - Sainsbury's colleagues - is it letting the company down If I leave so soon after training)?

Extra info:

The Works is 7 miles away, Sainsbury's 12.
    Works pays £6.10 - Sainsbury's £4.79
    Works 16 hrs weekly (with every other weekend) - Sainsbury's 14 hrs.

Many thanks, I could really do with some help as I have the guilt strings fighting the rationality strings.

ReputationRep:
    Aww tax and NI sucks! At least I can escape tax by only working in the hols, not so much the NI though! Ah well it will pay for the measly state pension one day I guess.

Just consider this months contributions as (almost) 'free'!

Sorry I would help but I don't do checkouts!

ok thanx, anyone else know??? the question was how do you get the screen up where you can type the plu code in because at the moment i have had to find groceries on the plu menu and it can take me a while to find them. thank you...

ReputationRep:
    ok thanx, anyone else know??? the question was how do you get the screen up where you can type the plu code in because at the moment i have had to find groceries on the plu menu and it can take me a while to find them. thank you...
    There is no screen to get up you just type in the code and press enter. When you are on the same screen you would be on if you were scanning an item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    I could do with some help. I just got a job at Sainsburys and just completed my induction with checkout training/first shift on Sunday (I work Sun, Mon, Tues). However, I just got a call today offering me the position of Supervisor at "The Works" (I'm still in shock as I'm only 16). It's closer to home and slightly more hours. What would you do (and also - Sainsbury's colleagues - is it letting the company down If I leave so soon after training)?

Extra info:

Many thanks, I could really do with some help as I have the guilt strings fighting the rationality strings.
    5 miles closer? Getting paid an extra £30 a week or £120 a month?

I know which one I'd choose! Don't feel guilty, you gotta do what's best for you in the end!

Extra info:

Well it's your decision. What even is "The Works"? If they're hiring 16 year olds as supervisors it doesn't sound like they're doing so well, so job security doesn't sound great. But you know, it's up to you. If you're earning a lot more why would you care what Sainsburys thinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Well it's your decision. What even is "The Works"? If they're hiring 16 year olds as supervisors it doesn't sound like they're doing so well, so job security doesn't sound great. But you know, it's up to you. If you're earning a lot more why would you care what Sainsburys thinks?
    The Works is a discount bookstore chain - they went into administration last year but have a new investor and apparantly the company is fine now...Apparantly :p:.

I do see your point aswell - It's a store based within a garden centre and she said she pulled my application form for the garden centre from their manager and used that to offer me the job - she had seemed to have read it too as she even used my hobbies when quoting the flexibility .

5 miles closer? Getting paid an extra £30 a week or £120 a month?

I know which one I'd choose! Don't feel guilty, you gotta do what's best for you in the end!

Thanks to both of you for the help - although I must admit - it's still confusing!

ReputationRep:
    hello, i have recently started working at sainsburys and can anyone tell me about the plu menu. How do you get the screen up where you can type in the plu code because at the moment i am always having to find them on the plu menu and it would be so much easier if i could type the code in...thanx

You just type it in as if it were a barcode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    do we get 10% discount on fuel at sainsburys station? I dont think so :P lol
    Now that would be amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really tight that we have to wait 6 months for the discount :\

We've recently had a new store open in Torpoint, the next town by ferry, and Sainsburys bought a Somerfield store there, but kept the staff and straight away gave them discount cards :\

ReputationRep:
    If we did get discounts on fuel, i would wait unill discount is at 20%, buy lots of jerry cans, fill them all up, and go sell the fuel on to the family. Thats probably why we don't get discounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    I think it's really tight that we have to wait 6 months for the discount :\

We've recently had a new store open in Torpoint, the next town by ferry, and Sainsburys bought a Somerfield store there, but kept the staff and straight away gave them discount cards :\
    6monthd id nothing. Some companies have to wait a year.

And a somerfield near me is being changed to sainsburys, maybe they bought a load of morrisons.

ReputationRep:
    6monthd id nothing. Some companies have to wait a year.

And a somerfield near me is being changed to sainsburys, maybe they bought a load of morrisons.
    6 months is a lot if you're on checkouts lol

I suppose I shouldn't really moan, it's not like I shop there regularly lol

ReputationRep:
    Staff turnovers high anyway so it's not a big deal (besides no one cares about the company; as long as they get paid everyone's cool). 'Superviser' would look so much better on your CV aswell. Go for whichever place you think you'll be happier.

(Original post by mug51)
    pay day, yay

after how many hours do you get overtime x 1.5? i got 58.25 hours on overtime x 1.0 and 11 on the x 1.5. i am contracted to 20 hours. didn't know i get more for doing more overtime.
    Unless you happen to be on an old contract, then you'll get paid the same rate for overtime. Unfortunately, there is no overtime premium rate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.