Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    canteen is usually in the middle which is ok

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My brother wants to apply for a job in a Sainsbury's new store. He will be 15 years old when it opens, would it worth applying even if he hasn't received his NI card yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blakestar)
    Hi there,

My brother wants to apply for a job in a Sainsbury's new store. He will be 15 years old when it opens, would it worth applying even if he hasn't received his NI card yet?
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to be sixteen to work at Sainsbury's, so unless he turns sixteen very soon after the store opens he probably wouldn't be able to work there. (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blakestar)
    Hi there,

If he hasn't recvieved his NI card yet, then he's not going to be 16 within the next month or so? Sainsburys' policy is not to employ anyone under 16 so I doubt he'd be succesful :/

Edit: Also, in the application it asks if your of compulsory school leaving age which i'm assuming he isn't so I don't think it would let you carry on any further than that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    If he hasn't recvieved his NI card yet, then he's not going to be 16 within the next month or so? Sainsburys' policy is not to employ anyone under 16 so I doubt he'd be succesful :/

Edit: Also, in the application it asks if your of compulsory school leaving age which i'm assuming he isn't so I don't think it would let you carry on any further than that anyway.
    Oh ok thanks, I'll go tell him that. The store is supposed to open in December and he'll be turning 16 in March.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question. Is it very common for them to let people go after their 12 week probationary period?

(Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Just a quick question. Is it very common for them to let people go after their 12 week probationary period?
    Nope, not unless your manager is a ****. We used to have a produce manager who would sack everyone after their 12 week probationary period. He isn't manager anymore though.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how you know if you've passed the online test - i did it 1 week ago and my application status is 'under review' but i have just seen the job I applied for back on the website! I know there is only one position on that dept as I have friends who work there - so what's going on??? Just would like to know really:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Qucik story.

I was helping an old man and he started complaining that the soap powder was cheaper in Tesco and somehow this man made it Sainsbury's fault that there was a war in Iraq.

The man went on to say something along the lines of "All those idiots that have gone out there simply to kill themselves".

I said to him "My brother was killed in Iraq". His face was a classic. He said sorry to me on no less than 8 occasions.

Regardless of whether you agree with the war or not, you should show some respect to the armed forces.

I don't actually have a brother, but it taught him.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    lol oh dear. I don't agree with the war but it's important to support the troops. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    How much notice are you required to give sainsburys?

(Original post by Mousebudden)
    How much notice are you required to give sainsburys?
    Four weeks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Technically you don't have to give them any notice but if you want a reference... then yeah, 4 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Damn... Got my new school timetable and they have changed it after telling me last year the wouldn't.

I work 1-9 on a tuesday because I had a lesson first and free's the rest of the day. Are there any other options than quit sainsburys or not attend my lesson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triiden)
    Damn... Got my new school timetable and they have changed it after telling me last year the wouldn't.

I work 1-9 on a tuesday because I had a lesson first and free's the rest of the day. Are there any other options than quit sainsburys or not attend my lesson?
    Don't worry! I've had to change my contracted hours several times due to timetabling conflicts. I'm sure your manager will understand if you explain you need to change your hours due to class.

ReputationRep:
    I think I got scammed today. A man came to the kiosk to buy something, and afterwards he asked if I could keep the till open so I could give him some tenners. He then gave me £120 in £20 notes. I was immediately suspicious so said I couldn't give change out, but because the man was so nice and polite I decided to change £60 after checking his cash was legit.

So I counted the £60 out loud and slowly, leaving the other £60 on the side in front of him. I then put the £60 in 20s in the till and gave him tenners when he told me that I took £80, showing me that there was only £40 on the side. I swore I didn't take £80, but I was equally certain he didn't swipe one of the notes. As certain as I was, I took his word for it and gave him another £20. It was about ten minutes later after having gone through the event over and over in my head that I realised it was probably a scam.

(Original post by Foulish)
    Qucik story.

I was helping an old man and he started complaining that the soap powder was cheaper in Tesco and somehow this man made it Sainsbury's fault that there was a war in Iraq.

The man went on to say something along the lines of "All those idiots that have gone out there simply to kill themselves".

I said to him "My brother was killed in Iraq". His face was a classic. He said sorry to me on no less than 8 occasions.

Regardless of whether you agree with the war or not, you should show some respect to the armed forces.

I don't actually have a brother, but it taught him.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    I think I got scammed today. A man came to the kiosk to buy something, and afterwards he asked if I could keep the till open so I could give him some tenners. He then gave me £120 in £20 notes. I was immediately suspicious so said I couldn't give change out, but because the man was so nice and polite I decided to change £60 after checking his cash was legit.

So I counted the £60 out loud and slowly, leaving the other £60 on the side in front of him. I then put the £60 in 20s in the till and gave him tenners when he told me that I took £80, showing me that there was only £40 on the side. I swore I didn't take £80, but I was equally certain he didn't swipe one of the notes. As certain as I was, I took his word for it and gave him another £20. It was about ten minutes later after having gone through the event over and over in my head that I realised it was probably a scam.

LOL
    Aww, yeah sounds like it was a scam, something similar's happened to me before too, and prolly to some others on here! Now I never, ever change people's money unless they want something small like £1 for the trolley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Aww, yeah sounds like it was a scam, something similar's happened to me before too, and prolly to some others on here! Now I never, ever change people's money unless they want something small like £1 for the trolley.
    Someone once gave me a £5 coin to pay something. I called my manager over and he authorised it (It is legal tender), then this guy asked me to change up his over £5 coins. I checed the first few, then stopped checking -the coins where the same size.

It was only the day after I was told the coins where fake by my other manager.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I would be really grateful if someone could give me an outline of what the role of 'runner' involves.

I applied for a job as a customer service assistant/checkouts and they have called to offer me the job as a runner.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraLou85)
    Hi all,

I would be really grateful if someone could give me an outline of what the role of 'runner' involves.

I applied for a job as a customer service assistant/checkouts and they have called to offer me the job as a runner.

Thank you.
    A runner looks after checkouts, responds to calls to go to a particular checkout, if a customer needs anything then the runner would go and get it. Also when its busy you also jump on a til. I think of a runner as a Team Leader without the paperwork.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.