Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Sorry if this has already been answered, on sunday i am doing a 8:30 - 4:30 an 8 hour shift. Am I entitled to a lunch break?
    Yes? Whenever I work 8-4 I get an unpaid lunch break and half an hour in the morning paid, or I can chose to work through lunch if I need the money/it's hectic.

Had to work through my lunch today actually (in 7-4 today) First time I've ever worked over 40 hours a week, under our old manager we wouldn't get paid anything over 39 hours a week. But our new manager has decided to pay us for it now :woo: It's so hectic at the minute. We really need another member of staff in the bakery.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, we don't get a lunch break (not even unpaid) on an 8-4.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we aren't allowed to do over 39 hours cos after that, you get paid time and a half. and they're tight buggers. but actually there's a way around it which is nice. i've never done more than 39 hours though, can't be arsed. i do a 10 hour shift and get two half an hour breaks!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't get a lunch break today 8:30 - 4:30, only a 30min break.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thats weird. I wonder why it is that different stores have different policies on that? Maybe my store is just more generous :P

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't know if this is the best place to ask but seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here!
    There are some roles on-line in my local store that I thought I may apply for but the hours are laid out in like 4 hour blocks and there are some times I can't do because of Sixth Form and things.
    Is it worth applying anyway, or are they not very flexible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Hi, I don't know if this is the best place to ask but seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people here!
    There are some roles on-line in my local store that I thought I may apply for but the hours are laid out in like 4 hour blocks and there are some times I can't do because of Sixth Form and things.
    Is it worth applying anyway, or are they not very flexible?
    Hmm probably not as they've possibly given those times for a reason.

Ps. Muse FTW

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you after you've applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyMonkeyOpheliac)
    Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you after you've applied?
    That's what I'm wondering too.

I filled my online application at 5pm on Tuesday.
    I got a text inviting me to arrange an interview at 9am on Wednesday
    I had that interview on Friday afternoon.

'tis now Monday. WHEN WILL I KNOW?! I can't handle the anticipations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)

I did my online application on tuesday and then had an interview on the friday the same as you. I had an email at 8am today saying i got the job, so check your email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveMitch89)
    I did my online application on tuesday and then had an interview on the friday the same as you. I had an email at 8am today saying i got the job, so check your email.
    hmmmm haven't had an email, I think I've seen people on this thread waiting a little longer before hearing they were successful so I'm trying to remain optimistic :p:

Well done to you though!!! Massive congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)

Oh no! They haven't texted me! :'( I filled mine in this Saturday though..I'm just hoping it's because it wasn't a working day

Good luck! I'm sure they'll reply soon :P People can't be asked to do things on the weekend

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! They haven't texted me! :'( I filled mine in this Saturday though..I'm just hoping it's because it wasn't a working day

Good luck! I'm sure they'll reply soon :P People can't be asked to do things on the weekend
    Hehe yeah, I bet they were closed over the weekend, and just have a little backlog of applications to process over the weekend. The fact you didn't get automatically rejected online is probably a good sign!

Anyway, I'll be checking back here every day or so until I hear an answer!!! I'm so nervous, I really want this job!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview!!!!!! Saturday at 2:30. Oh gosh I'm scared ;L I've never had a job before! :L

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview!!!!!! Saturday at 2:30. Oh gosh I'm scared ;L I've never had a job before! :L
    :woo: :woo: Well done
    This was my first job too. the interview will be fine. just read through the thread for tips. It really helps. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Quick question; how long do you have to have been working to get sick pay? and how much is it etc... thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)
    :woo: :woo: Well done
    This was my first job too. the interview will be fine. just read through the thread for tips. It really helps. :p:
    Haha thank you! I think the only bit I'm worried about is the actual face to face interview where they ask "why do you want to work in this specific department" or something. As I've applied for General Assistant.. "because I'm good at lifting things" Lol! :P

Actually is anyone here a GA? What's a typical day for you?

ReputationRep:
    Haha thank you! I think the only bit I'm worried about is the actual face to face interview where they ask "why do you want to work in this specific department" or something. As I've applied for General Assistant.. "because I'm good at lifting things" Lol! :P

Actually is anyone here a GA? What's a typical day for you?
    I had a general assistant interview today - and it wasn't really like an interview. He just went through the actual job. The job is reducing things, and sorting out dates of things - it had a much flashier description lol, but I can't make it sound as amazing as the manager did :p: You will also be till trained and may have to stack shelves on days where you've finished doing the main job. Basically you're an all rounder. You may have a more specific job but they'll tell you what it is at the interview. The only question that I really got was 'Why Sainsburys?' and 'How did you hear about the vacancy?' Apparently its based more on the test you take.

I hope this is useful for you.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yes it did thank you Oh goodie I do get to work on the tills
    Hmm why sainsburys? Because they kick the ass of Asda?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i wish i got paid as much as ASDA night shift did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    Quick question; how long do you have to have been working to get sick pay? and how much is it etc... thanks (:
    Its either 6 months or 1 year (Can't remember, but you don't get paid for your first 3 days off. After 2 years, you get paid from day 1 of any sickness apparently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.