Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    I could do with some help. I just got a job at Sainsburys and just completed my induction with checkout training/first shift on Sunday (I work Sun, Mon, Tues). However, I just got a call today offering me the position of Supervisor at "The Works" (I'm still in shock as I'm only 16). It's closer to home and slightly more hours. What would you do (and also - Sainsbury's colleagues - is it letting the company down If I leave so soon after training)?

Extra info:

The Works is 7 miles away, Sainsbury's 12.
    Works pays £6.10 - Sainsbury's £4.79
    Works 16 hrs weekly (with every other weekend) - Sainsbury's 14 hrs.

Many thanks, I could really do with some help as I have the guilt strings fighting the rationality strings.
    Personally I would work for the company that is better known - that way you don't need to keep explaing what xyz shop is all about - and if you wanted, you can build a reasonable career at a larger corporation.

-shrug-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Unless you happen to be on an old contract, then you'll get paid the same rate for overtime. Unfortunately, there is no overtime premium rate.
    don't think they'd give me an old contract to sign a few months ago, still not certain why there is a 1.5 multiplier. just dug up the past 2 months pay slips and both times it had 73.25 hours at overtime x 1.0, and around 20 for overtime x 1.5. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wanted to clarify something. Is overtime paid for the same period as your basic pay ie the last four weeks before payday or is it paid for just the month before that or anything?

(Original post by mug51)
    don't think they'd give me an old contract to sign a few months ago, still not certain why there is a 1.5 multiplier. just dug up the past 2 months pay slips and both times it had 73.25 hours at overtime x 1.0, and around 20 for overtime x 1.5. :dontknow:
    It's most likely that payroll messed up or something. I had this too. Someone put me on the maximum pay for my band, and also put me on overtime x1.5.

I wouldn't complain about it! Just consider yourself lucky :yep:

(Original post by nikki1810)
    Hey just wanted to clarify something. Is overtime paid for the same period as your basic pay ie the last four weeks before payday or is it paid for just the month before that or anything?
    The cutoff point is the Saturday before payday; any overtime done after that will be paid off in the next period.

(Original post by Longorefisher)
    I could do with some help. I just got a job at Sainsburys and just completed my induction with checkout training/first shift on Sunday (I work Sun, Mon, Tues). However, I just got a call today offering me the position of Supervisor at "The Works" (I'm still in shock as I'm only 16). It's closer to home and slightly more hours. What would you do (and also - Sainsbury's colleagues - is it letting the company down If I leave so soon after training)?

Extra info:

The Works is 7 miles away, Sainsbury's 12.
    Works pays £6.10 - Sainsbury's £4.79
    Works 16 hrs weekly (with every other weekend) - Sainsbury's 14 hrs.

Many thanks, I could really do with some help as I have the guilt strings fighting the rationality strings.
    I guess you need to balance out what you want from a job? Do you want the additional challenges, responsibility and pay? or would you like the job security? (with Sainsbury's having more job security).

I'm not turning you against this, as I'm pleased that you've been offered an excellent position, but I personally wouldn't be accepting. We have a local Works store, and it's far from friendly.

But nevertheless, a supervisor position on a CV will stand out more than a checkout position ever will. So should you decide to leave the Works, you'll have gained some decent experience, and providing your reference checks out, you'll be an ideal candidate who's demonstrated that they can carry out supervisorial duties in a retail establishment at such a young age.

ReputationRep:
    What's up with the till update... man it's weird.

Everyone who's got it so far, just remember there's the "Change View" button if you don't like!

Personally I'd like it to have numbers say 0-9 on each page, and to just have to press it once and then it'd weigh automatically. You could always void it off if it was the wrong item anyway...

Then the other items could be 0-9 again after you've pressed page down...

Obviously Retalix is not capable of handling that kind of thing though.

The items with the star next to them - are they also available in the Favorites menu or something? It's weird.

Bag prompt at the end hmmm it's good but uh yeah it's like I'm so used to pressing "Clear" or whatever when it popped up at the beginning now it's all blankety-blank!

In other news someone failed the MCM. 5/10 for the 'greeting' and then 0 for EVERYTHING ELSE. People have their suspicions judging by a complaint card left about service at self-scan around the same time of the MCM visit last Saturday. However, I think several people are worrying that it could be them. I'd be worried... because I got so many miserable people last week I'd be afraid to talk to them, or they have iPods in or are on the phone or fired up! It could have been anyone, but it's a bit worrying.

Anyway...

We've passed the last two MCMs 100%, and it turns out it was the same guy serving at the checkouts both times. He's got his own congratulations card on the staff noticeboard and everything.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for the record after 9 last night we had 6 staff left lol!

3 checkouts, 1 superviser, 1 CSD, 1 kiosk.

Then. After 10... we lost 1 checkout

So really we were kinda... like... I dunno what's the word... severely short-staffed?

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when sainsburys are going to start recriuting new people for general assistant vacancies? i know companies are going to start looking for new people to replace the people leaving ot go uni. anyone know when?

(Original post by zik256)
    anyone know when sainsburys are going to start recriuting new people for general assistant vacancies? i know companies are going to start looking for new people to replace the people leaving ot go uni. anyone know when?
    Sainsbury's doesn't have set recruitment periods. Sainsbury's hires throughout the year. :yep:

I know however, that my store has recently hired a fair few. I guess you need to keep an eye on the website, as soon as jobs are posted, they tend to get removed rather quickly.

Good Luck!

(Original post by zik256)
    Check the recruitment website several times a day, every day. My store has just put up vacancies for three checkout staff but they'll be gone by the end of the day. As said above, there are no set recruitment times, but there are so many others looking for jobs at the moment that none of the positions will last. Also, as far as I'm aware, most employees of school leaving age were asked about their plans for university so replacement positions for those may have already been taken. Don't let that put you down though, you just need to be quick off the mark when there's a vacancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I guess you need to balance out what you want from a job? Do you want the additional challenges, responsibility and pay? or would you like the job security? (with Sainsbury's having more job security).

I'm not turning you against this, as I'm pleased that you've been offered an excellent position, but I personally wouldn't be accepting. We have a local Works store, and it's far from friendly.

But nevertheless, a supervisor position on a CV will stand out more than a checkout position ever will. So should you decide to leave the Works, you'll have gained some decent experience, and providing your reference checks out, you'll be an ideal candidate who's demonstrated that they can carry out supervisorial duties in a retail establishment at such a young age.
    Hmm...Definitley food for thought - Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I presume that the interview is different for a customer service job? In regard to the DVD bit?

ReputationRep:
    It's my first shift tomorrow!
    The induction days couldn't have gone slower :'), does time go quicker when you're on the shop floor? Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahboden)
    It's my first shift tomorrow!
    The induction days couldn't have gone slower :'), does time go quicker when you're on the shop floor? Haha.
    ive found the more i work, the quicker the shifts are going, after 9 months, 8 hour shifts seems to go properly quick.

I wore my beach wear today, flower shorts, and a tee-shirt, and i decided to steal a high vis vest and make it into a beach rave :yep: i can also noticed how many people didn't ask me questions, it was bliss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    ive found the more i work, the quicker the shifts are going, after 9 months, 8 hour shifts seems to go properly quick.

I wore my beach wear today, flower shorts, and a tee-shirt, and i decided to steal a high vis vest and make it into a beach rave :yep: i can also noticed how many people didn't ask me questions, it was bliss.
    Hahaha! That sounds cool, my store was doing that too, i wish i had started today . My shifts are 8 hours too so that's re-assuring .

I found it quite suprising, having only spent half an hour on the shop floor during my induction, how many customers asked me questions. I was like :eek: oh nooo where is everything :') hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    The cutoff point is the Saturday before payday; any overtime done after that will be paid off in the next period.
    Cool thanks. My overtime was on Sunday so I guess I'll have to wait until next month

OK I have one last question. Do we only get paid bank holiday premium for bank holidays for the whole UK? I worked 3rd August (Scottish bank holiday) and didn't get it so just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, work had a non-uniform day today while it was my day off! Unimpressed.

(Original post by teh_samby)
    Pfft, work had a non-uniform day today while it was my day off! Unimpressed.
    They did it on purpose

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.