Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my 4 week review yesterday. I have highest IPM in the store despite only being there for one month. I also have the one of the best in MCM and the only reason I didn't get 100% is because Sainsbury's didn't give me my uniform!
    Will be getting a Shining Star soon too so it's fair to say that I'm really enjoying my time with the company at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Random questions for if I ever get the form to work :p: what is the wage for those aged 22+ and how far in advance are schedules done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Random questions for if I ever get the form to work :p: what is the wage for those aged 22+ and how far in advance are schedules done?
    I'm not too sure, but I think it's £6.21 and you have set hours/shifts on your contract, so there's not really a schedule per se.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    It depends on your area. I was on £6.03 to start with (18+ - I think 22+ is the same). You get a pay rise after 6 months, about 20p or something

ReputationRep:
    Why is the ipm so important?
    I thought sainsburys was hot on customer service... or am I missing something?

Every time my ipm goes up it seems as if the customers are unhappy with the speed.
    They seem more comfortable with me taking my time.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Trust me, I really need this job.

We are not applying for the same one. I am being interviewed for one in the new Morecambe store.

Good luck for tomorrow.
    Well, that's alright then! Good luck to you too!

Also, I've always been under the impression they really want girls for night shift. Cos not many go for night shift jobs. Wish they did, I'm lonely lol
    Fingers crossed, I will be joining the night shift soon to boost the female quota!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)

Every time my ipm goes up it seems as if the customers are unhappy with the speed.
    Higher IPM means less queuing time for customers. More than 3 people at your till is unacceptable supposedly.
    At the store I work in the majority of our customers are the elderly so it's difficult to strike a balance between the two. Go too quickly they'll complain, go too slow bosses complain so you can't win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Higher IPM means less queuing time for customers. More than 3 people at your till is unacceptable supposedly.
    At the store I work in the majority of our customers are the elderly so it's difficult to strike a balance between the two. Go too quickly they'll complain, go too slow bosses complain so you can't win.
    Thats what i thought
    I don't even think there is an equal balance.
    I'm not sure what exactly they want me to do

(Original post by Saliency)

Sainsburys works on a policy that the customer isn't always right. You can't win.

ReputationRep:
    i find sainsbury's to be more customer focused than the likes of tesco.

a guy in my store was commented by store manager i believe to be talking too much to customers, he offers great service but the big guy aint happy.

i feel sorry for those on checkouts, having to 'talk' to every customer and not be 'robotic', i find that to be unfeasible. how many questions can you ask or comments can you make without lacking enthusiasm, not many i'd imagine, you'd end up repeating yourself. and to do that for every cusotmer, your jaw must hurt by the end of the night.
    as a customer, i sometimes would like to be out in a flash and cut the chit chat, so not everyone wants a life story.

like fxx says you cant win.

oh and i've started to lose motivation after almost 2 years there. why are we selling books and dvds by the freezers? why cant we promote anything by the front door?
    i still enjoy my job most of the time but when they come up with things like sales aren't doing too well so we all need to impriove them, how do i do that if I cant place my stock in places where they will sell the best. for example a big paramount dvd shipper that is advertising buy a dvd and get vouchers for money off old el paso dinner kits, ice cream and shloer. it would sell better in aisles that sell those items rather than in the produce department.

lol my post is quite a bit of a whinge.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    our books and dvds are right next to produce lol, which is obviously near the entrance. near the freezers is a weird place to put them

our whole shift is demoralised because we don't have enough staff. we are losing a total of 4 people in the next 2 weeks and as yet there's no one to replace them. there will be a total of 16 people left, including 2 teamleaders and 1 manager, which isn't enough, when you consider that barely anyone is on full time hours and they won't let people do overtime lol.

The books and DVDs are pretty much closest to the entrance, apart from a bit of produce and the kiosk. Don't really see many people wondering down there though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    they have some pretty good deals at sburys, especially with 10% off. i buy my books second hand usually though, or from amazon

ReputationRep:
    I like Sainsburys and the customer service. always buy second hand books on Amazon though.

ReputationRep:
    i feel sorry for those on checkouts, having to 'talk' to every customer and not be 'robotic', i find that to be unfeasible. how many questions can you ask or comments can you make without lacking enthusiasm, not many i'd imagine, you'd end up repeating yourself. and to do that for every cusotmer, your jaw must hurt by the end of the night.
    as a customer, i sometimes would like to be out in a flash and cut the chit chat, so not everyone wants a life story
    Yeah, I was told that I needed to chat more with the customers when processing the shopping... load of bs imo. Most people doing their shopping late monday evening dont look in the mood for you commenting on the type of orange juice they are buying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beherenow94)
    Yeah, I was told that I needed to chat more with the customers when processing the shopping... load of bs imo. Most people doing their shopping late monday evening dont look in the mood for you commenting on the type of orange juice they are buying.
    Yeah I get told that a lot, s'why I usually fail my observations. >.<

ReputationRep:
    Stupid *******s, got offered a job but for hours totally different then I asked. No I'm not working until 10pm, I have a 6:45am start the next day.
    PIGS.
    And so the job hunt continues...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyMonkeyOpheliac)
    Stupid *******s, got offered a job but for hours totally different then I asked. No I'm not working until 10pm, I have a 6:45am start the next day.
    PIGS.
    Gargh that sucks They offered me a different job to the one I applied for too! But at least you can take away with you the confidence that they wanted you, and you're employable and desirable for employers!

Good luck in your future job huntings!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by MyMonkeyOpheliac)
    PIGS.
    That;s because Sainsburys needs people to suit THEIR needs, not the other way around :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Trust me, I really need this job.

We are not applying for the same one. I am being interviewed for one in the new Morecambe store.

Good luck for tomorrow.
    How did it go?
    I was the only one there, dunno if that's supposed to be the case... If I don't get the job that'd be a real epic fail! :eek3:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.