Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    yay pay day!! although they've messed it up by adding an extra 10 hours to my hours that i wasn't meant to do, and took my 5 hours holiday away when i was ill eventhough i was meant to have 2 hours of it the following day. so i'm shorttimed 22 hours i have however gained 5 hours holiday from somewhere making 10, so i'm not complaining.

last month i paid £160 in tax. this month i paid... £18. quite a drop i have to say lol.
    Whats the situation with income tax/national insurance if you're a full time student?

And what happens if you're on a gap yr (like me)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Oh that's not good Hope you hear soon! Did youf eel confident after youyr interview? What exactly did you have to do and how long did it last for?x
    So do I lol. I felt pretty confident. I thought the DVD test thing went well, as I didn't struggle with it or anything and then my one-to-one interview was fine. The guy was really nice and I answered the questions the best I could. The entire thing lasted just over an hour.

He said I would hear within 7 days...

(Original post by Foulish)
    Ring up the recruitment line and ask them whats going on.
    This is going to sound stupid but, what exactly should I say? I had an interview and am yet to hear? Face-to-face I am fine with people and quite confident, but put a phone in between us and I don't like it lol. I think it is because I can't see their facial reactions etc...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by affinity89)
    This is going to sound stupid but, what exactly should I say? I had an interview and am yet to hear? Face-to-face I am fine with people and quite confident, but put a phone in between us and I don't like it lol. I think it is because I can't see their facial reactions etc...
    Yes state when your interview was and say you would like to know if a decision has been made yet.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Whats the situation with income tax/national insurance if you're a full time student?

You still pay tax and national insurance. I think if you go to uni next year you miiight be eligible for a rebate? But I'm not sure.

I was on a gap year last year, nothing different just... the same as everyone else. Oh, you might have to pay eg. council tax & rent if you live at home, obviously. As I live in a council house my rent and council tax was based on what I earn (I'm the only one working in my household). But if any of that applies to you I'm sure your parents will let you know.

ReputationRep:
    Yes state when your interview was and say you would like to know if a decision has been made yet.
    He just said I got the job but then that he had made a mistake and has now put me on hold...

Apparently, they haven't heard back yet either way and I should 'hold tight' for a few days more...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    He just said I got the job but then that he had made a mistake and has now put me on hold...

Apparently, they haven't heard back yet either way and I should 'hold tight' for a few days more...
    Talk about flippin' stressful! They should give you the job just for that!

ReputationRep:
    Talk about flippin' stressful! They should give you the job just for that!
    I was so chuffed when he said I had the job lol... :o:

ReputationRep:
    When I had my interview, I was told that Sainsbury's would contact me, but if they don't just ring up the recruitment line.

Just say "I had an interview at x store and I was told to ring you if I havent been contacted by you after x days."

You'll need your reference number (If you don't have this or can't find it, they can usually do a search for your details).

About the phone call, when I call phone centers, I hope I get a woman. I feel awkward talking to guys in call centres. :P

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for another sainsbury's job in the day, it was 20 hours and was supposed to be sunday/monday/tuesday/thursday but when I went for the interview he said it was friday/saturday/sunday! Something must have gone wrong, should I ring HR and ask? It's changed on the website too >_< so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    When I had my interview, I was told that Sainsbury's would contact me, but if they don't just ring up the recruitment line.

Just say "I had an interview at x store and I was told to ring you if I havent been contacted by you after x days."

You'll need your reference number (If you don't have this or can't find it, they can usually do a search for your details).

About the phone call, when I call phone centers, I hope I get a woman. I feel awkward talking to guys in call centres. :P
    I called. They said they were yet to make the decision and I should wait a bit longer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tykkylumi)
    I've applied for another sainsbury's job in the day, it was 20 hours and was supposed to be sunday/monday/tuesday/thursday but when I went for the interview he said it was friday/saturday/sunday! Something must have gone wrong, should I ring HR and ask? It's changed on the website too >_< so annoying.
    At my interview, the hours the guy had written down were completely different to the ones I applied for. It is annoying... Trying calling HR. They might be able to help.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tykkylumi)
    What's wrong with them? :dontknow: it's a day less :tongue:

When I applied I applied for a 39 hour job, and ended up with 30 hours which imo was much better

ReputationRep:

When I applied I applied for a 39 hour job, and ended up with 30 hours which imo was much better
    Maybe they are not able to work those days...

It is annoying to have days/hours changed from those advertised, especially when you have other commitments you are trying to work around.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Maybe they are not able to work those days...

It is annoying to have days/hours changed from those advertised, especially when you have other commitments you are trying to work around.
    *shrugs* that's sainsbury's for you :tongue:

hooray annual pay rise.

ReputationRep:
    Messed up my wages - i'm short of about £80

ReputationRep:

You still have to pay tax and NI... Just because you're a student doesn't change anything about that. You do have a tax free allowance though (£6475 per year I think depending on your tax code) and if you do not earn more than that the tax you have paid up until then is refunded once the tax year is over (April).

If you earn more than £110 per week you would pay 11% NI on everything over the £110.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Messed up my wages - i'm short of about £80
    my payslip is messed up cos there's more hours than i did on there, hence more shorttime =/ so i instantly saw 'shorttime' and started raging but it's ok i'm not missing anything about my 2 hours holiday pay which theyve given me back to book again...

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any tips on how surviving night shifts without falling asleep half way through?

Any drinks or food you think are helpful?

Thank you!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Larwen)
    Does anybody have any tips on how surviving night shifts without falling asleep half way through?

Any drinks or food you think are helpful?

Thank you!
    my personal experience: no. and i've been doing them for a year. but drink lots of water. a chocolate bar always helps! and i would suggest having an ipod to listen to, i feel much more awake when i listen to my ipod!

ReputationRep:

It's just a lot more inconvenient for me to work weekends, like I'm sure it is for most people. I'd still accept it if it's offered to me though, the hours are pretty good (:

Guess I might ring up tomorrow, still not sure though.

@affinity89 - thank you very much! (:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.