Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Pfft, work had a non-uniform day today while it was my day off! Unimpressed.
    lol our store seems to always have non uniform day/event day on a friday, & I dont work fridays. I'm not bothered though, strange as it sounds, the uniform is more slimming than normal clothes for some reason :yep:

I don't like non-uniform days. I just know that the one time I decide to go to one, no one else will, and I'll feel like a complete prat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    lol our store seems to always have non uniform day/event day on a friday, & I dont work fridays. I'm not bothered though, strange as it sounds, the uniform is more slimming than normal clothes for some reason :yep:
    The uniform is weird! I am a fairly large, tall chap and generally need an XXL T-Shirt (both in length and breadth) yet their L T-Shirts fit perfectly and the XXL fleece is massive on me!

ReputationRep:
    In a bit of a problem and I want to ask your advice. I asked for Satuday off and I got it by working some other hours.

I also want to get next Saturday off so I can go camping with my family.

If I was to ask you, would you think I was taking you for a ride - considering I do plenty of overtime as a favour and that I very rarely ask for shifts to be changed (I think I've done it 3 times in the year i've been at Sainsbury's and took a day off when I was ill).

Please help because I am going to be slightly embarrassed asking him since I'm going to feel like im taking him for a ride.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    In a bit of a problem and I want to ask your advice. I asked for Satuday off and I got it by working some other hours.

If I was to ask you, would you think I was taking you for a ride - considering I do plenty of overtime as a favour and that I very rarely ask for shifts to be changed (I think I've done it 3 times in the year i've been at Sainsbury's and took a day off when I was ill).

Please help because I am going to be slightly embarrassed asking him since I'm going to feel like im taking him for a ride.
    Nahh just ask them, If you've done them favours in the past, then the least they could do is try their best to accomodate you.
    Say it's a one off, and that it's important to you, and that you will make the hours up. I'm sure they wont mind.
    If I was you're team leader I wouldnt mind

(Original post by Foulish)

I'm with Wannabe on this

I would ask, what's the worst that can happen? If you wanted, you could perhaps even mention that although it may feel like you're taking him for a ride, it's not the case and it's a coincidence these events happened two consecutive Saturdays. :yep:

Btw, most managers can see through those that are taking them for a ride, so I doubt he would have any objections, as it's not as if you haven't done them favours before? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I've got my induction on Tuesday, do we get paid for this?And is that the only day I will get training (it's 8 hours on Tuesday)

(Original post by Louisdf)
    I've got my induction on Tuesday, do we get paid for this?And is that the only day I will get training (it's 8 hours on Tuesday)
    Hi

Yes. You will be paid for induction. Depending on your role, you may even be given additional training; till training etc. It will also be paid.

All paid, but the next payday isn't for another four weeks now so you'll be waiting a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Hi

Yes. You will be paid for induction. Depending on your role, you may even be given additional training; till training etc. It will also be paid.

Yeah I'm working on the tills.But at the interview, I was told that because it's quite a small store I would be required to do other work around the store as well.Do I need to take a packed lunch or can I buy food from the staff canteen?

Thanks for your help

(Original post by Louisdf)
    Yeah I'm working on the tills.But at the interview, I was told that because it's quite a small store I would be required to do other work around the store as well.Do I need to take a packed lunch or can I buy food from the staff canteen?

Thanks for your help
    If your store has a canteen, you can purchase food from there. However, if you're on a lunch break, you can purchase food from downstairs - should you choose to do so.

I would prepare yourself a nice sandwich and a fruit salad or something, because our canteen was always busy, and it's a pain to go downstairs!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I'm having to resign from Sainsburys. Didn't see myself leaving so soon, but I guess I can concentrate on college come September. Not earning money again will be lame

(Original post by Rowan126)
    Looks like I'm having to resign from Sainsburys. Didn't see myself leaving so soon, but I guess I can concentrate on college come September. Not earning money again will be lame
    Is there any particular reason you're leaving?

If you can get the hours sorted, it's fairly easy to mix college and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'm with Wannabe on this

I would ask, what's the worst that can happen? If you wanted, you could perhaps even mention that although it may feel like you're taking him for a ride, it's not the case and it's a coincidence these events happened two consecutive Saturdays. :yep:

Btw, most managers can see through those that are taking them for a ride, so I doubt he would have any objections, as it's not as if you haven't done them favours before? :woo:
    (Original post by Wannabe)
    Nahh just ask them, If you've done them favours in the past, then the least they could do is try their best to accomodate you.
    Say it's a one off, and that it's important to you, and that you will make the hours up. I'm sure they wont mind.
    If I was you're team leader I wouldnt mind
    Thanks for your help. I didn't see these replies until I had already asked. He said it was OK because i'm always doing him favours etc.

His exact words where "You scratch my back, and I scratch yours". I went in personally and asked him rather than over the phone as I thought it would be better and more polite.

He actually said he dosen't normally do it, but because I have been doing them favours he overlooked it. I was honest with him and said why I wanted the time off and even said I feel slightly embaressed asking as he was kind enough to let me have yesterday off. Oh, i'm such a considerate person :P

When I get time you'll get +repp'd

ReputationRep:
    I'm back working on shift for the summer, so this seems like a great opportunity to moan that I was underpaid by £300 in my first pay slip. Not impressed, but hardly surprised either.

On the subject of pay, is anyone aware of an apparent discrepancy of temp/perm contract pay rates? When coming back for the summer, I signed a permanent contract as I... tend to do. But a couple of weeks later got two copies of the temporary contract through the post saying "Welcome to Sainsburys, please sign this contract, we'll be in touch about your induction" etc. The temporary contract appeared to have generally identical clauses, but the night shift premium was £3 rather than the £1.50 on the permanent contract. I've started trying to query this, but I've just been on holiday this week so haven't yet been able to push the matter with HR. Does anyone know if this is correct; why temp staff get payed significantly more than permanent staff, and whether I'll be able to switch over to a temporary pay rate?

ReputationRep:
    I am getting worried was interviewed on 12 of August last wednesday and until now I am still waiting for a call if I have the job or not.
    They have said in the interview that it will take a week for HR to confirm it and have seen so many post that they got a call the day after the interview. Hope that I will get a call tomorrow.

(Original post by valzkye)
    I am getting worried was interviewed on 12 of August last wednesday and until now I am still waiting for a call if I have the job or not.
    They have said in the interview that it will take a week for HR to confirm it and have seen so many post that they got a call the day after the interview. Hope that I will get a call tomorrow.
    A fellow Kentian. Which store have you applied to? They took four weeks to get back to me, and that's only after I phoned HRSS to find out what was going on. Maybe you should do the same, sometimes they need a kick in the jacksie to get going.

ReputationRep:
    I'm handing in my notice tomorrow.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH
    :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer.re)
    I'm handing in my notice tomorrow.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH
    :/
    lucky you .........:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.