Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    EDIT- will I get paid for the inductions? And if so, will I get the money on top of the wages I get four weekly, or will it come separately?
    Yes. There's a cut off point of when you get paid though i.e. cut off poin is the Saturday then you're paid the following Friday.

Congratulations by the way. Enjoy your induction days too, you're in for a real treat I can assure you. :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Eustace4)
    Thanks for your help, well line manager was saying if it was upto him he would keep as many on as possible and that was before he had seen anyone work so he is desperate to keep as many on as possible, ill probably get sick of working nights at weekends before long anyway, i muhc prefer nights though its just the Friday/Saturday combo im not loving.
    i know the feeling, i worked thurs fri and sat now just fri and sat. it sucks but you get used to it and plus its less busy at places during the week!

ReputationRep:
    Just got an email from HR saying I've got the job so chuffed, and it's really cool that they've made a decision already considering I only had the interview yesterday!

Got 2 induction days this Sat and Sun.

EDIT- will I get paid for the inductions? And if so, will I get the money on top of the wages I get four weekly, or will it come separately?
    Congratulations!

Next pay day 5th November! Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    It's been a week since I applied, should I bother ringing them today?

ReputationRep:
    Finally heard back from sainsburys, 8 days after the interview. Got my induction on monday, tuesday and wednesday.
    Does anyone work as a admin assistant?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering whats it like being a Groceries online shopper for sainsburys??
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Larwen)
    Congratulations!

Next pay day 5th November! Can't wait
    wish it was tomorrow haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    Finally heard back from sainsburys, 8 days after the interview. Got my induction on monday, tuesday and wednesday.
    Does anyone work as a admin assistant?
    I did when I started just under 2 years ago.

I guess you would like to know what you will do. Well, it is mostly changing price tickets, removing point of sale, checking off refunds, checking incoming emails, answering incoming calls.
    If you start before the store opens like around 6/7am you will need to print of reports from the repos system, put out any remaining price tickets (increases first if any then decreases and generals), print off all point of sale, put out all new promotional material or remove expired material, price is right walk where you walk the entire store and make sure every item has a ticket (needs to be done with tickets out and sheet signed by all departments by 10:30am), confirm ticket increases using handset, print off all next day tickets and remove and destroy report. thats pretty much it, of course you would not be on your own to do them all yourself(i sure hope not).

ReputationRep:
    I recently got a job at sainsburys working on the checkouts and have had one day of till training so far... I am REALLY struggling I can scan the basic items fine but soon as it comes to the items that need weighing like fruit + veg I'm so slow and it takes me ages to find it on the PLU Group (some of the items I didn't even know what they were). I know for a fact people are gnna be getting peeved off with me taking ages to serve them....

Any tips? I dont have a clue how the nectar points work either if the customer wants to use some of their points..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TowlerTQ)
    I recently got a job at sainsburys working on the checkouts and have had one day of till training so far... I am REALLY struggling I can scan the basic items fine but soon as it comes to the items that need weighing like fruit + veg I'm so slow and it takes me ages to find it on the PLU Group (some of the items I didn't even know what they were). I know for a fact people are gnna be getting peeved off with me taking ages to serve them....

Any tips? I dont have a clue how the nectar points work either if the customer wants to use some of their points..
    Hey, dont worry! I was given NO training whatsoever when I started and it just takes a bit of time to learn... and I'm still learning new stuff now.

PLU's are easy after a few hours. If its something that is bought a lot (eg. Brocoli, Potatoes, Bananas, onions) just hit PLU then Favourites and it should be in there. Other than that it will generally be in Weighed Veg (Courgettes and Sweedes are only thing I've sold from there) or Root veg ( Ginger, parsnips). I hardly use the groups for fruit as the main fruit are generally in favourites or have a barcode. If its got a sticker but no barcode you just have to put the 4 digit code in on the sticker.

Nectar cards are simple, you can scan them at any time throughout the transaction and if people want to use their points when you have scanned all the shopping hit "more" and then "Instant reward" and type the number of points they have available.

One final tip: don't bother asking how many bags people are re-using, just estimate... saves a lot of unnecessary confusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TowlerTQ)

For PLU items, most common items are in the favourites. Don't worry, everyone is slow until you get used to the layout. You'll end up doing it without thinking. It maybe easier for you to learn the codes for certain items like limes or bananas. Althoug the only one i know of by heart is corn (2899) because we have them instore but its not on the PLU.

To redeem nectar points. In 'pay mode' go to 'Instant Reward' and it'll tell you how many points they have. You can only redeem points for every £2.50 for example. If they've spent £3 and use their necter points, it will only take £2.50 off so they still need to pay the 50p even if they have lots of necter points left. The amount of times i've had arguments explaining to customers this....

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been working for Sainsburys for just over a month now. Working the Night Shift. This job is really stressful and didnt expect it to take so much of an effect on my body. I'm still in my probationary period but last week I had to take a day off because I was literally beaten from the previous night.

I am not meeting my target deadlines because it feels too much work to be doing at night. I have a feeling I'll be sacked very soon but they are stalling because they see I am putting in alot of effort but being nights, its a struggle. They already fired another new starter for a similar reason. Doing this job in the day would be no problem.

My question is, if I am to get fired from this job would I able able to apply for another role in a different Sainsburys branch? I obviously will not be looking to do nights again.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    I did when I started just under 2 years ago.

I guess you would like to know what you will do. Well, it is mostly changing price tickets, removing point of sale, checking off refunds, checking incoming emails, answering incoming calls.
    If you start before the store opens like around 6/7am you will need to print of reports from the repos system, put out any remaining price tickets (increases first if any then decreases and generals), print off all point of sale, put out all new promotional material or remove expired material, price is right walk where you walk the entire store and make sure every item has a ticket (needs to be done with tickets out and sheet signed by all departments by 10:30am), confirm ticket increases using handset, print off all next day tickets and remove and destroy report. thats pretty much it, of course you would not be on your own to do them all yourself(i sure hope not).
    Online it said that I would be working at nights but when I went to the interview they said it was mornings not bothered which one. Cheers for the info they mentioned at the interview something about checking freezers is that true?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by generaldonado)
    Hi, I've been working for Sainsburys for just over a month now. Working the Night Shift. This job is really stressful and didnt expect it to take so much of an effect on my body. I'm still in my probationary period but last week I had to take a day off because I was literally beaten from the previous night.

I am not meeting my target deadlines because it feels too much work to be doing at night. I have a feeling I'll be sacked very soon but they are stalling because they see I am putting in alot of effort but being nights, its a struggle. They already fired another new starter for a similar reason. Doing this job in the day would be no problem.

My question is, if I am to get fired from this job would I able able to apply for another role in a different Sainsburys branch? I obviously will not be looking to do nights again.

Thanks
    What are you struggling with? It's hard I know (since I started a year ago, there have only been two night shifters that actually stayed and we have had a lot). What are you doing in the day? How many hours do you work?

Have you asked to change departments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    What are you struggling with? It's hard I know (since I started a year ago, there have only been two night shifters that actually stayed and we have had a lot). What are you doing in the day? How many hours do you work?

Have you asked to change departments?
    Struggling with keeping up with the targets, constantly being rushed off my feet at night time. My sleep pattern has gone crazy, I can't even sleep in the day because my body has not fully adapted so I go to work knackered. I do 11-7 4 days a week.

No I havent asked to change department, I am planning to but at the same time I can tell they are going to fire me.

Do you know if I could still apply for another position at another store, if I do get fired?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Cheers! If i get the job i'll be full time like I said, so I hope it is not too boring! But I suppose ti doesn't really matter if it is - money is money!
    I have no idea what to say if the interviewer asks a question like "Why have you applied for code controller? What part of the role appealed to you"

Advice welcomed
    Oh sorry I missed this before your interveiw! Glad it went well though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    Online it said that I would be working at nights but when I went to the interview they said it was mornings not bothered which one. Cheers for the info they mentioned at the interview something about checking freezers is that true?
    the checking of freezers i know about is the parasense alarms going off. all chillers and freezers have a thing that monitors the temp and once it goes above that temp it sets off an alarm, the alarm is not audible but will email the store when it goes off, 15 mins after the email and the problem has not been solved you will get an automated phone call saying 'you have an urgent refridgeration alarm.....'. hop on a computer and check which chiller cabinet is the culprit. then either inform the duty about the alarm and which cabinet and he/she should check it out, or go seek a member of staff in the department of that freezer/chiller.
    so it sounds like the store you will be working in has really bad freezers, a bit like my store really, you see lots of them empty because they are c*** and aren't cold enough.

ReputationRep:
    What would people recommend to wear to an induction day at Sainsburys, they said on the phone smart/casual so I was thinking Black trousers, white blouse, comfortable shoes and a cardigan.

ReputationRep:
    thats pretty much what i wore to mine, obviously not a blouse or cardi cos im a man (i suppose a cardi is fine for a man though), wore a casual polo shirt under a black jumper. black trousers and black shoes.
    so yeah what you are thinking of wearing is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    the checking of freezers i know about is the parasense alarms going off. all chillers and freezers have a thing that monitors the temp and once it goes above that temp it sets off an alarm, the alarm is not audible but will email the store when it goes off, 15 mins after the email and the problem has not been solved you will get an automated phone call saying 'you have an urgent refridgeration alarm.....'. hop on a computer and check which chiller cabinet is the culprit. then either inform the duty about the alarm and which cabinet and he/she should check it out, or go seek a member of staff in the department of that freezer/chiller.
    so it sounds like the store you will be working in has really bad freezers, a bit like my store really, you see lots of them empty because they are c*** and aren't cold enough.
    The store has just been redone and reopened less than a month ago so I dont know about the freezers. Thanks for the info

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.