Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from my second day of till training and got put live on the tills for about 90 minutes, was absolutely bricking it wanted to do a runner lol but sort of got through it. My only problem is a few times when I wasnt sure of something I had to ask the guy who was training us?

I start my first proper shift tomoz on my own I guess and when I get these problems I'm worried that the Supervisors are gnna be peeeeeeved off with me asking for them all the time lol...?

ReputationRep:
    Phoned up HR and they were completely unhelpful, ah well. Guess I'll just play the waiting game. Really want this job though!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by generaldonado)
    Struggling with keeping up with the targets, constantly being rushed off my feet at night time. My sleep pattern has gone crazy, I can't even sleep in the day because my body has not fully adapted so I go to work knackered. I do 11-7 4 days a week.

No I havent asked to change department, I am planning to but at the same time I can tell they are going to fire me.

Do you know if I could still apply for another position at another store, if I do get fired?
    really? i do 9-7 one day and 10-8 the next, used to do 9-7 three days a week. I fall straight to sleep after a shift as I'm so tired. Everyone on shift lives on energy drinks, it really helps. You should tell them you're struggling. I don't know if you could apply to another store because well they would know you've worked at Sburys before and would question if you were ok with hitting targets. I was slow to start with but then picked up my pace and am one of the fastest workers. Just don't think about being tired. Take your iPod, put some music on with a face pace and just work to the music - I find it really helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl92)
    What would people recommend to wear to an induction day at Sainsburys, they said on the phone smart/casual so I was thinking Black trousers, white blouse, comfortable shoes and a cardigan.
    Spot on, and congratulations on getting the job.

The induction is very boring so a pillow may be useful too to go for a kip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TowlerTQ)
    Just got back from my second day of till training and got put live on the tills for about 90 minutes, was absolutely bricking it wanted to do a runner lol but sort of got through it. My only problem is a few times when I wasnt sure of something I had to ask the guy who was training us?

I start my first proper shift tomoz on my own I guess and when I get these problems I'm worried that the Supervisors are gnna be peeeeeeved off with me asking for them all the time lol...?
    haha i had the same problem too, i kept on asking the supervisor for help and everything and i reckon she got a tad annoyed... but anyways theyre there to help you.. i spent a whole day at the tills once and my back was literally killing me.

i think youre allowed to buddy up with someone on the first shift just for the first half hour or so if you need help. but you get used to it though after the first two days, so you shouldnt worry about it

ReputationRep:

We've all been through it. You get the hang of it eventually. I've now got the best IPM in the entire store and I've only been there for 2 months.
    PLU Group> Favourites should point you in the right direction. Most of the common fruit + veg you'll use will be there. If people ask for stuff you don't know how to do just say and ask them to go to kiosk if it's a phone top-up for instance. I used to do this when I couldn't find the obscure companies when I first started working but you pick everything up really quickly trust me. When it's quiet have a look through everything and try and learn what item is in what menu option.

If you're unsure just ask. Good luck, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get an interview (after MONTHS of finding a job with no luck )as general assistant but it is for night shift. I don't mind but the problem I have is my family refusing it.

Urgh I need money and they are forcing me to claim benefits..which I do not want to. They are like dont worry you'll find something...but I have been searching for MONTHS and not even one reply. I am gonna start university next year and I need the money..I don't wanna be sitting home in my gap year doing nothing!

Lol being in a asian culture DOES NOT help

So I guess I will have to cancel the interview
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by c101)
    Managed to get an interview (after MONTHS of finding a job with no luck )as general assistant but it is for night shift. I don't mind but the problem I have is my family refusing it.

Urgh I need money and they are forcing me to claim benefits..which I do not want to. They are like dont worry you'll find something...but I have been searching for MONTHS and not even one reply. I am gonna start university next year and I need the money..I don't wanna be sitting home in my gap year doing nothing!

Lol being in a asian culture DOES NOT help

So I guess I will have to cancel the interview
    Do what you want - you're an adult. How many hours is the job? It's only going to be until next year. It does pay quite a bit more than the day shift & at this time of year it's unlikely you'll find another job. You can always ask to move depts after you've been there for x amount of months.

Lol, we're losing three people in the next month :/ not cool! They just replaced 5 people too. Thank goodness we're getting some temps. Problem is we don't have many trained staff members now.

ReputationRep:
    Got my 2 day induction starting tomorrow...What Can I expect?

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaah, forgot something pretty important...got my first shift on my own tonight and need to do know when do I do the flight or whatever it is called where you take out so much money apart about £100 and then put it in that tube?

Thanks lol

ReputationRep:
    hey guys after a bit of advice....got a 2 day induction tomorrow at 8am but ive been throwing up for the past couple of hours and am feeling so rough....probs wont be able to make it tomorrow...how do i contact them??? help needed asap!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by thecdon)
    hey guys after a bit of advice....got a 2 day induction tomorrow at 8am but ive been throwing up for the past couple of hours and am feeling so rough....probs wont be able to make it tomorrow...how do i contact them??? help needed asap!!!
    i went to my induction with what appeared to be either really bad flu or that swine flu thing. just go, see how you feel, and if you can't do it ask to go home. that's what my trainer said to me anyway but i stuck it out. otherwise just ring but not sure they'd be too happy lol.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can help me with booking holiday?! I'm really confused... my manager kept saying "it has to be within the week" and I can't have Saturdays off? I'm really confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i went to my induction with what appeared to be either really bad flu or that swine flu thing. just go, see how you feel, and if you can't do it ask to go home. that's what my trainer said to me anyway but i stuck it out. otherwise just ring but not sure they'd be too happy lol.
    but throwing up is different! and it takes me 40 mins on the train one way to get there....
    i rang up they said it would be find but if i cant make tomorrow i have to do the induction at another store ages away hope i feel better in the morning

such a joke i never ever get ill!!! :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Just go, all you're doing all day is sitting down and if you throw up they will send you home. Then at least you tried, otherwise they might not like you ringing in sick before you even start.

ReputationRep:
    Just wandering if anyone knows when somebody wants to use their Sainburys Saveback card to add some money to it how do I use it?

Do I just ask them to swipe the card before I enter the paying mode and then it will come up with the screen to with how much they want on the card?

ReputationRep:
    Just wandering if anyone knows when somebody wants to use their Sainburys Saveback card to add some money to it how do I use it?

Do I just ask them to swipe the card before I enter the paying mode and then it will come up with the screen to with how much they want on the card?
    I think there is a Saveback button on paying mode, so you just press that and then it'll be self-explanatory from there. I think anyway, I haven't been in for three months.

ReputationRep:
    Had a woman ask for a "five pound lebarrah" today.

After 30 minutes of total panic... found out it was one of the random-ass 'other' phone top-ups.

Edit: 30 minutes?! Cor that would be bad service! I meant seconds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Had a woman ask for a "five pound lebarrah" today.

After 30 minutes of total panic... found out it was one of the random-ass 'other' phone top-ups.
    Lol - same here! I must of said "excuse me?" about 5 times. Eventually just sent them to customer Services.

ReputationRep:
    "This is a message for the Sainsbury's store manager. This is an urgent refrigiration alarm *hang up*"

(Original post by mug51)
    the checking of freezers i know about is the parasense alarms going off. all chillers and freezers have a thing that monitors the temp and once it goes above that temp it sets off an alarm, the alarm is not audible but will email the store when it goes off, 15 mins after the email and the problem has not been solved you will get an automated phone call saying 'you have an urgent refridgeration alarm.....'. hop on a computer and check which chiller cabinet is the culprit. then either inform the duty about the alarm and which cabinet and he/she should check it out, or go seek a member of staff in the department of that freezer/chiller.
    so it sounds like the store you will be working in has really bad freezers, a bit like my store really, you see lots of them empty because they are c*** and aren't cold enough.
    Yeh, eventful night tonight. Didn't get out until 0145 because some woman decided to collapse in pain.

First time i've had to treat someone for shock...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.