Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Only worked a couple of shifts so far, I'm on nights. So far enjoy it, just wondering how overtime happens? Only on two nights a week at the moment, do I have to enquire or will they come to me?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by thecdon)
    but throwing up is different! and it takes me 40 mins on the train one way to get there....
    i rang up they said it would be find but if i cant make tomorrow i have to do the induction at another store ages away hope i feel better in the morning

such a joke i never ever get ill!!! :stomp:
    how is it different? i was throwing up too :tongue:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by drakesdrum)
    Only worked a couple of shifts so far, I'm on nights. So far enjoy it, just wondering how overtime happens? Only on two nights a week at the moment, do I have to enquire or will they come to me?
    ask them if they're anything like my shift they will be begging you to do overtime lol.

i'm well peeved at work. no lights and no heating. ridic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    We've all been through it. You get the hang of it eventually. I've now got the best IPM in the entire store and I've only been there for 2 months.
    PLU Group> Favourites should point you in the right direction. Most of the common fruit + veg you'll use will be there. If people ask for stuff you don't know how to do just say and ask them to go to kiosk if it's a phone top-up for instance. I used to do this when I couldn't find the obscure companies when I first started working but you pick everything up really quickly trust me. When it's quiet have a look through everything and try and learn what item is in what menu option.

If you're unsure just ask. Good luck, you'll be fine!
    I've been there for 2 years and my IPM when I last checked was 10.3. Our target is 21 =[
    I have a feeling customer service has brought that figure down :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TowlerTQ)
    Aaaaah, forgot something pretty important...got my first shift on my own tonight and need to do know when do I do the flight or whatever it is called where you take out so much money apart about £100 and then put it in that tube?

Thanks lol
    Stores have different approaches to doig the flight, but most stores do it like this:

Write the till number on the bag, leave £100 in notes, using the lowest currency first, put your no sale slip in, then seal the bag, put it in the pod, and shoot it up the pipes.

Some stores require you to call a supervisor over.

ReputationRep:
    Guys a problem

I know my NI number off by heart. When I recieved thecard my mum took it off me and lost the card. I went to job centre and they wrote down my NI number on a letter on my name and signed it to confirm it

I have an interview with sainsbury on Monday, as I do not have the card can I take the job centre letter which confirms my NI number on my name? Or is it not official enough ?

ReputationRep:
    Also do many girls work on nightshift? Lol or is it big scary men haha

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I am asking a lot of questions

How long is the interview? The test + 1-1 interview?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure on the NI question, I would ring up the store and talk to HR.

There are 2 quite petite women who work on our night shift but that will obviously differ in stores.

Interview is roughly an hour. 45mins on DVD and 15min 1-1 Interview.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine with the NI deal, I don't even think I had to show them my one just wrote the number down.

Interview is like 15 mins max. Test is super super easy and the one to one interview is just a general chit chat really.

I had to quit my job at Sainsburys yo go away over summer. I'd give anything to have it back!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh, that's right. I didn't get to watch the DVD cause they couldn't get the player working. Disregard what I just said haha, sorry!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by c101)
    Also do many girls work on nightshift? Lol or is it big scary men haha
    on my shift there is me, a lady who is retiring in the next couple of years, and we have a new lady very soon. you don't get many girls on night shift for some reason. i guess it depends!

There are loads of women on the night shift at our store, but not very many of them are young.

ReputationRep:
    If someone could help me with this would apreciate it...

I'll try make it as clear as possible but this is the main thing I am struggling with on the tills.

If somebody comes to my till, I scan all their shopping and they have a Sainsburys Saveback card and they say to me they would like to put £2 onto the card how exactly do I go about doing this on the till menu?

I know how to pay for someones shopping using the saveback card, you just go into the sales screen and swipe the saveback and spend whatever the customers wants to that is on the card its just adding money to the card I struggle with..
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    There are loads of women on the night shift at our store, but not very many of them are young.
    yeah, i was told not many YOUNG women go to the night shift. i was the youngest (obviously as 18 is the min. age requirement for night shift) and the next youngest 22, but she left a few weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    Felt proper rough today but still went in and had induction....got same tomorrow too! so much boring paperwork!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    on my shift there is me, a lady who is retiring in the next couple of years, and we have a new lady very soon. you don't get many girls on night shift for some reason. i guess it depends!
    Intresting. How is the work load?

ReputationRep:
    Question: If my normal shift on Monday is 5pm-9pm but I am increasing it by doing overtime from 2.30pm -9pm when I clock out do I select "Yes" for overtime?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beherenow94)
    Question: If my normal shift on Monday is 5pm-9pm but I am increasing it by doing overtime from 2.30pm -9pm when I clock out do I select "Yes" for overtime?
    Thanks in advance
    No. In my store anyway, we always have to press "no" for overtime.

I do. You're doing overtime, you have every right to claim for it when you clock out. All it does is put a little mark next to your name on the timesheets when they're printed off the next day so your manager remembers to pay you for the extra hours.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.