Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    if you're a girl it's in dress sizes but they're really off. i had a 12 in normal trousers and they were far too small (usually a 10/12) and a 12 in women's night shift trousers far far too big. so i got a 14 in the womens elasticated trousers and they're too big, literally falling off haha.

and as for the whole 'its a job' i agree with the comment that after a while you DO start caring.
    They did not even ask for the uniform size NOR passport/NI nothing at all! The manager did not even know what role I applied for and hours :confused: :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by c101)
    They did not even ask for the uniform size NOR passport/NI nothing at all! The manager did not even know what role I applied for and hours :confused: :eek:
    oh dear that doesn't look good, very unorganised on their part

ReputationRep:
    Been away from the thread since I was turned down for the job I applied for [about two weeks ago].

Just noticed I have a missed call on my phone today though, from the Manchester HR/Recruitment number.
    Any idea what that might be about?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Been away from the thread since I was turned down for the job I applied. Just noticed I have a missed call on my phone today though, from the Manchester HR/Recruitment number. Any idea what that might be about?
    no idea - ring them back!!

ReputationRep:
    Okay... Just got this in an email:

Following on from your recent interview, we are delighted to confirm that you have been successful in your application. Please call Sainsbury's HR Shared Services within the next 24 hours on 0845 602 3860 to enable us to confirm your start date and details of your Offer of Employment.
    Talk about confused! What is the deal with inductions? When I applied, I had a few weeks free and so could have taken a few days for an induction without any problems. Now, however, I am back at university and so have other demands on my time.

Edit: Just called and have been told they want me to do a two day induction Tues/Weds next week. I cannot do the Wednesday - as specified in my interview, I have university classes then. The lady said they will have to see if they can arrange something else. What are the chances they will be able to? Or, am I going to miss out on the job because of this?

ReputationRep:
    Talk about confused! What is the deal with inductions? When I applied, I had a few weeks free and so could have taken a few days for an induction without any problems. Now, however, I am back at university and so have other demands on my time.
    If u want the job, u'll have to do the induction... I missed 2 full days at uni but if u're lucky induction's on sat sun!

I've sprained my wrist... night shift is gonna be so much fun tonight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larwen)
    If u want the job, u'll have to do the induction... I missed 2 full days at uni but if u're lucky induction's on sat sun!

I've sprained my wrist... night shift is gonna be so much fun tonight!
    Sorry to hear about your wrist. I sprained my ankle 6 weeks back so can imagine how painful it is.

Unfortunately, the induction they have offered is Tues/Wed. I can't do it. I'm in my third year at university, hoping to do post graduate study and have a 3 hour seminar on the Wednesday - I can't miss that. It is frustrating really as I could have done that in the two weeks following my interview - I was still on summer leave and could have done anytime. I do want this job, but I can't put it before my degree. Not at this late, and pretty important, stage...

The lady said she would contact the store to see if there are any alternatives. I hope they can sort something, especially as the store isn't opening for a month yet. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I got the job at the Sainsbury's local. My induction is on Thursday. So happy!

Wondering what it'll be like at a local instead of a "big one". It's day shifts this time and I was doing nights before. Looks like there's loads of overtime, so that's great (seeing as christmas is coming up!)

ReputationRep:
    Quick one - Do you have to take a lunch hour? It's unpaid, and i'd be happier working through my lunch hour and just scoffing something to eat during a tea break, where you get paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your manager, mine doesn't let me because he "can't afford" to pay me the extra hour.

(Original post by odris)
    Depends on your manager, mine doesn't let me because he "can't afford" to pay me the extra hour.
    Like it comes out of his back pocket, right? I hate it when managers talk like that. I know they have budgets but they really shouldn't be claiming it's their money like that.

ReputationRep:
    Thats me back from my first day of 4 days of induction, wasnt too bad but I was getting desperate for a coffee towards the end. The store is massive and there are hundreds of things like Halal and Kosher foods that I didnt think thats they stocked so that was some new info. Looking forward to being responsible for all the advertising and ticket prices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I've been there for 2 years and my IPM when I last checked was 10.3. Our target is 21 =[
    I have a feeling customer service has brought that figure down :P
    10.3?! :p:

Our target is 19 but I think that takes into account that the majority of our clients are older so we do need to be a little bit slower than usual.

ReputationRep:
    wahh, I'd just gotten into the swing of things and now we have to push Bags for Life at every single customer, and it's on the MCM now to ask so if we don't ask we get marked down... it's so awkward asking if someone wants a bag for life... especially if they've only bought three items, or if they've already got a massive bundle of Hessian bags at the ready....

They hand out memos about keeping the IPM up by signing out between customers, and by not voiding items because it wastes precious seconds... I really feel like the pressure is on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Quick one - Do you have to take a lunch hour? It's unpaid, and i'd be happier working through my lunch hour and just scoffing something to eat during a tea break, where you get paid for it.
    What hours are you working, is it a nine hour shift with an hour unpaid and half hour paid break? If so, ask your department manger and they may let you cut down to eight hours with just a half an hour paid break, my manager did :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectimperfection)
    What hours are you working, is it a nine hour shift with an hour unpaid and half hour paid break? If so, ask your department manger and they may let you cut down to eight hours with just a half an hour paid break, my manager did :yep:
    39 hours a week pal so thats usually over 5 days so, 34 hours paid work.

shifts vary from 10-7 to 12-7, 11-7.

I'll ask my manager

ReputationRep:
    Got a question about induction days

How many people are usually at an induction day or am I likely to be on my own also do you get paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    39 hours a week pal so thats usually over 5 days so, 34 hours paid work.

shifts vary from 10-7 to 12-7, 11-7.

I'll ask my manager
    With them hours you will only get the option of the hour dinner on the 10-7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl92)
    Got a question about induction days

How many people are usually at an induction day or am I likely to be on my own also do you get paid
    When I did it for Customer service assistant I was with about 5 others (all
    Uni students!).

Question of my own: do you get two breaks on an 8 hour shift?
    And yes you get paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beherenow94)
    When I did it for Customer service assistant I was with about 5 others (all
    Uni students!).

Question of my own: do you get two breaks on an 8 hour shift?
    And yes you get paid
    Thanks

haha I've got another question :p: - on the job details for the salary it says 'Junior rate £4.76 Adult rate £6.21

This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process.'

Would I start out at a junior rate or whould I automatically be the adult rate (I'm 18 btw)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.