Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by stargirl92)
    Thanks

haha I've got another question :p: - on the job details for the salary it says 'Junior rate £4.76 Adult rate £6.21

This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process.'

Would I start out at a junior rate or whould I automatically be the adult rate (I'm 18 btw)
    You're from Maidstone too? No way haha. Are you applying to the one in town or the one in Larkfield?

You'll get the adult rate straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You're from Maidstone too? No way haha. Are you applying to the one in town or the one in Larkfield?

You'll get the adult rate straight away.
    Cool, small world haha I've applied for the sainsburys over at Hempstead Valley

and thanks :p:

Cool, small world haha I've applied for the sainsburys over at Hempstead Valley

and thanks :p:
    Aww, fair enough lol. Welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    wahh, I'd just gotten into the swing of things and now we have to push Bags for Life at every single customer, and it's on the MCM now to ask so if we don't ask we get marked down... it's so awkward asking if someone wants a bag for life... especially if they've only bought three items, or if they've already got a massive bundle of Hessian bags at the ready....

They hand out memos about keeping the IPM up by signing out between customers, and by not voiding items because it wastes precious seconds... I really feel like the pressure is on!
    Does it come up on the till you need to ask them if they want a bag for life? If not, your probabally being lied to to push the bags. I haven't seen anything saying we are going to start asking customers if they want bags, but i'll check when im in tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

haha I've got another question :p: - on the job details for the salary it says 'Junior rate £4.76 Adult rate £6.21

This rate would apply for over 18's only. If you are under 18 the appropriate rate would be confirmed during the selection process.'

Would I start out at a junior rate or whould I automatically be the adult rate (I'm 18 btw)
    FACE PALM :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed something. My hours are listed as 21 but I added them all up and it only comes to 19. I guess I should bring this up on my induction day... ): gah, more problems with my hours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Depends on your manager. Ours is a slave driver... lol. If you have plenty of people then it's ok but when you're short staffed you find you might have to work harder. In my store the girls always work the health + beauty section, don't know if it'll apply to you. If you do, my advice is work in sections, dress it as you go along.
    H+B is a pain in the ass! Finding where all those different pills are......flippin' heck!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by drakesdrum)
    H+B is a pain in the ass! Finding where all those different pills are......flippin' heck!
    lol. it is a pain in the bum but you get used to it! dressing the pills are the worst part. yes, i'm talking about you, sainsbury's brand aspirin ... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Haha was getting annoyed at that exact thing the other night, constantly falling over

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed something. My hours are listed as 21 but I added them all up and it only comes to 19. I guess I should bring this up on my induction day... ): gah, more problems with my hours...
    I'm contracted to 22 hours am only doing 20 though... Seems to be a common misscommunication with HR.

Had a great surprise waiting for me this weekend... 25 boards to work on GM... Happy days... NOT lol

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention, how annoying are those skulls that set off without even touching them? Nearly crapped my pants dressing that aisle!

(Original post by drakesdrum)
    I forgot to mention, how annoying are those skulls that set off without even touching them? Nearly crapped my pants dressing that aisle!
    They've been stuck well out of the way in our store. Thank god. I had enough of them last year.

ReputationRep:
    Had my induction today Mega Yawn! But all the people were really nice, I had my lunch with 3 of the delivery drivers haha. Anyway they gave me half of my uniform, half of it needs to be ordered and my trousers are missing a button ¬.¬ lol. Got my second day tomorrow Not looking forward to the early starts when I actually start properly but I'll survive Time to book some driving lessons now Yays

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview tomorrow, reading through the last 5 or so pages of this topic, I'm actually feeling quite confident. I'm not usually good at interviews, but this one seems fairly straight-forward and I have some... inside knowledge . My brother is a team-leader on counters, he's been there five years, got in there straight from school. He's spoke to a team leader on the department I applied for, so I have a good idea what the job involves (replacing a code-checker). Sounds like there may only be one job though.

Anybody have any idea the chances of getting a job after an interview? The jobs are only on their recruitment site for a few hours, so I can't see them getting many applications. That's the reason it has taken me so long to get an interview there, only managed to apply once before in the past year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    They hand out memos about keeping the IPM up by signing out between customers, and by not voiding items because it wastes precious seconds... I really feel like the pressure is on!
    How are you meant to avoid voiding items?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TfcIan)
    I have an interview tomorrow, reading through the last 5 or so pages of this topic, I'm actually feeling quite confident. I'm not usually good at interviews, but this one seems fairly straight-forward and I have some... inside knowledge . My brother is a team-leader on counters, he's been there five years, got in there straight from school. He's spoke to a team leader on the department I applied for, so I have a good idea what the job involves (replacing a code-checker). Sounds like there may only be one job though.

Anybody have any idea the chances of getting a job after an interview? The jobs are only on their recruitment site for a few hours, so I can't see them getting many applications. That's the reason it has taken me so long to get an interview there, only managed to apply once before in the past year.
    Personally I think it is more to do with the test than actual knowledge of the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    How are you meant to avoid voiding items?
     By being superhuman, apparently!

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, which would you say is a better department to work in as a general assistant? grocery or electrical?

and, if i was to do part time hours of 16 hours a week would I be able to make up the rest doing overtime, alltogether adding up to 39 hours a week?

ReputationRep:
    Got a question about induction days

How many people are usually at an induction day or am I likely to be on my own also do you get paid
    I've just had the first induction day and there were 14 of us
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rko)
    hi guys, which would you say is a better department to work in as a general assistant? grocery or electrical?

and, if i was to do part time hours of 16 hours a week would I be able to make up the rest doing overtime, alltogether adding up to 39 hours a week?
    Depends what part of grocery! And if you'd get to do different stuff. I personally prefer grocery to GM in my store. Urrrgh GM. I like the christmas stuff.

It depends on if your department has overtime available or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.