Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quit my job at Sainsbury's to work at Asda - Better pay, better hours, and it's closer

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by inksplodge
    Depends what part of grocery! And if you'd get to do different stuff. I personally prefer grocery to GM in my store. Urrrgh GM. I like the christmas stuff.

It depends on if your department has overtime available or not.
    Thanks, thing is i've applied for the gen merchandise/electric one due to better hours but noticed a few grocery ones keep coming up on the site aswell so if one with suitable hours comes up I might apply for that one instead.

not really interested in heavy lifting, so thought grocery would be a better option as it'd either be bws or the cereal and crisps aisles.

(Original post by rko)
    not really interested in heavy lifting, so thought grocery would be a better option as it'd either be bws or the cereal and crisps aisles.
    BWS is pretty heavy going, and grocery also covers stuff like pet food and cat litter.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by FXX
    BWS is pretty heavy going, and grocery also covers stuff like pet food and cat litter.
    yeah not too worried about that compared to say lifting vacuum cleaners, and another reason I would prefer grocery is because I hate checkouts lol, with gen merch being less busy and right next to the checkouts it makes it easy to call you over, but with grocery you'd be too busy re-stacking and sorting dates surely, especially during the xmas period.

(Original post by rko)
    yeah not too worried about that compared to say lifting vacuum cleaners, and another reason I would prefer grocery is because I hate checkouts lol, with gen merch being less busy and right next to the checkouts it makes it easy to call you over, but with grocery you'd be too busy re-stacking and sorting dates surely, especially during the xmas period.
    Vacuum cleaners don't fly off the shelves as quickly as you might think :p: That's true though, but if they call for all checkout-trained staff to go to tills you generally have to go regardless.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    **** i hate crisps and cereals. mostly cereals. i end up looking like i've been beaten up, and i can tell you cereal boxes falling on your head really hurts.

bws is pretty heavy, GM is a lot lighter, unless you get something like compost but I usually leave them on the pallets and move them with a truck

ReputationRep:
    i'll have to hope I don't get till trained then! even though that's probably wishful thinking. i doubt i'd be dealing with compost if i get the job because it said electric, so i'm guessing tv's, kettles, toasters that kinda thing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by rko)
    i'll have to hope I don't get till trained then! even though that's probably wishful thinking. i doubt i'd be dealing with compost if i get the job because it said electric, so i'm guessing tv's, kettles, toasters that kinda thing.
    is the electrical bit a big department in your store then? ours is literally half an aisle. the rest is all gm

ReputationRep:
    Where are inductions normally held? I noticed I had a missed call - they called when I was in a seminar - and when I googled the phone number, it was the Preston Sainsbury's store. A little surprising as I was offered a job at a different store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    is the electrical bit a big department in your store then? ours is literally half an aisle. the rest is all gm
    yeah it's not that big, just an aisle, but now that i'm thinking about it, the job description did say general merchandise/electric, so i'm guessing it means both rather than electric 'within' GM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Where are inductions normally held? I noticed I had a missed call - they called when I was in a seminar - and when I googled the phone number, it was the Preston Sainsbury's store. A little surprising as I was offered a job in the Morecambe store.
    Generally, inductions are held at larger stores. If the regional manager's office is in that store, it is safe to say you'll be there.

It is quite common seeing people from other stores in the local area receiving training in my store. When I did my first aid training, someone had to come from Staines and that is a 15 mile journey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Generally, inductions are held at larger stores. If the regional manager's office is in that store, it is safe to say you'll be there.

It is quite common seeing people from other stores in the local area receiving training in my store. When I did my first aid training, someone had to come from Staines and that is a 15 mile journey.
    Fair enough I suppose. It is over 25 miles from here and I don't drive, so if that is the case, it is going to be a bit of a trek. I'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Fair enough I suppose. It is over 25 miles from here and I don't drive, so if that is the case, it is going to be a bit of a trek. I'll just have to wait and see.
    Since your doing the induction away from the usual store you work at, you MAY be able to speak to your own stores HR department and get a full/partial refund for travelling costs. Keep the recipets for petrol/bus fairs just in case.

I had to travel to another store to get bags because we had none left and they paid for my fuel. It was only something silly like £3, but I was instructed to do it as proof that I had authorisation to leave the store (Otherwise they might have thought I was trying to scam the company), basically to cover my back.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    when they sent other people to dif stores they paid for the petrol. [one was leaving so filled his entire tank with petrol, LOL]

ReputationRep:
    I've had my induction day yesterday and have a training day tomorrow, how long are you usually in on a training day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    when they sent other people to dif stores they paid for the petrol. [one was leaving so filled his entire tank with petrol, LOL]
    If I had a car/could drive, it wouldn't be that hard to get there. But, on public transport, it is a mighty big pain and - depending on how early you have to be there - it might not actually be possible.

I really wish the whole process had been 100 times smoother. I was chuffed when they offered me the job but ever since, things have got more and more awkward...

ReputationRep:
    Just wandering if anyone knows the answer to this....I'm 18 and in full time education and I have asked a few people how much will I get taxed from a roughly £360 pay check, some people have told me I will be taxed nothing until I have earned over £6k and others and have told me it is a large chunk of my pay.

Does anyone know for sure what it is?

ReputationRep:
    k so got the interview booked for the GA in GM/Electrical, still going to look out for grocery positions though, need to get as far from those tills as poss.

(Original post by TowlerTQ)
    Just wandering if anyone knows the answer to this....I'm 18 and in full time education and I have asked a few people how much will I get taxed from a roughly £360 pay check, some people have told me I will be taxed nothing until I have earned over £6k and others and have told me it is a large chunk of my pay.

Does anyone know for sure what it is?
    360 * 13 pay packets = 4680 = less than the £6000+ non-taxable allowance. Providing you don't do too much overtime, you won't get taxed at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    360 * 13 pay packets = 4680 = less than the £6000+ non-taxable allowance. Providing you don't do too much overtime, you won't get taxed at all.
    Oh right cool, I wasn't sure because some people were saying I would be getting taxed lol

Thanks

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.