Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone work on the counters? What is it like?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I have my induction tomorrow [and Monday] for my role as a customer service assistant. Any hints on what I should expect? I've never had this sort of pre-work induction before [in other jobs, we just went straight in and sort of learnt on the job].

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c101)
    Hi

Did you get the interview and then fail the DVD test? Or someone scored higher than you on the test?
    Welcome back and good luck with this time
    1st time i got to the dvd and didnt score high enough to pass,

2nd time i applied before my 6 months were up, guys in this thread said they wouldnt care but when i went for my interview they told me i had to wait the 6 months

3rd time i didnt even pass the initial online questionaire.

Thank you and i really do hope i get somewhere if i vacancy comes up!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Can someone reply to my question please

Did you tell them you were ill? You can't help it but if you've been underperforming it's unlikely they'll keep you on =/ they hate people taking days off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Hey everyone.

I have my induction tomorrow [and Monday] for my role as a customer service assistant. Any hints on what I should expect? I've never had this sort of pre-work induction before [in other jobs, we just went straight in and sort of learnt on the job].

Thank you.
    Hey! I had my induction this week and we had to watch dvds and answer questions on hygiene, fire safety, manual handling, preventing hazards and how to deal with customers according to Sainsbury's customer service principles :rolleyes: Also had to deal with the paperwork e.g. contracts and had a store/warehouse tour. Hope it goes ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Did you tell them you were ill? You can't help it but if you've been underperforming it's unlikely they'll keep you on =/ they hate people taking days off
    Yes, everyday I rang in to tell them I wont be in. I think thats a little unfair to be fired for catching the flu on the brink of winter, I didnt ask to be ill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otu1987)
    Yes, they will fire you. Have you not had a P45 in the post yet?
    Are you being serious???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty142)
    Hey! I had my induction this week and we had to watch dvds and answer questions on hygiene, fire safety, manual handling, preventing hazards and how to deal with customers according to Sainsbury's customer service principles :rolleyes: Also had to deal with the paperwork e.g. contracts and had a store/warehouse tour. Hope it goes ok
    Thank you. [+rep]

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

Thank you.
    It's really really boring but you get paid for it.
    The DVD's are awful. The man/presenter "Rob" really irritated me by trying to convince me he worked for Sainsbury's with his uniform but I knew he didn't... :mad:
    You may or may not get a "Test your Knowledge" questionnaire at the end of it all but don't worry about that.
    At the end you'll get a shot of the tills etc and generally shown the ropes. It'll take a bit of getting used to but you'll be up to speed after a few shifts.

Welcome aboard

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donaldduckyy)
    Are you being serious???
    What do you think! lol. Don't worry about. They won't think anything of you being sick once or twice. Only if it becomes a regular occurance will there be issues.

Three non-consecutive sick days in a year gets you a disciplinary though. Gotta love how Sainsburys wants you to turn up to work ill when you're handling food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    The DVD's are awful. The man/presenter "Rob" really irritated me by trying to convince me he worked for Sainsbury's with his uniform but I knew he didn't... :mad:
    You may or may not get a "Test your Knowledge" questionnaire at the end of it all but don't worry about that.
    At the end you'll get a shot of the tills etc and generally shown the ropes. It'll take a bit of getting used to but you'll be up to speed after a few shifts.

Welcome aboard
    Totally agree with you there. He was also extremely dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)

Welcome aboard
    Just spotted this but thanks anyway.

It went alright. The people who were training us were lovely, as were the other new recruits. Everyone seems quite excited as we are going to be working at a brand new store and are going to be going in and actually filling it from nothing.

It is a long day though. We only had 30 minutes for lunch, so we could try and finish 30 minutes early, but instead we finished at the original time and still didn't cover anything. Our trainers were so friendly, they kind of went off at tangents telling stories meaning we didn't really plow though the modules. Got a full day of till training next Saturday. Will be good to get onto the shop floor.

And, I am really looking forward to November 5th. Money... Going into the bank! Woo!

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    i work at sainsburys and have done for over a year

they give you one pair of trousers but you might want to get another pair if you work often

also on shop floor, counters, bakery, back door, cafe etc. they give you safty shoes.
    Tbh i dont always wear mine so when i dont i just wear 'dolly' shoes (like black school shoes) with black socks the boys tend to wear like 'suit' shoes (sorry dont know the name) i guess just like boys school shoes

hope that helps

ReputationRep:

It went alright. The people who were training us were lovely, as were the other new recruits. Everyone seems quite excited as we are going to be working at a brand new store and are going to be going in and actually filling it from nothing.

It is a long day though. We only had 30 minutes for lunch, so we could try and finish 30 minutes early, but instead we finished at the original time and still didn't cover anything. Our trainers were so friendly, they kind of went off at tangents telling stories meaning we didn't really plow though the modules. Got a full day of till training next Saturday. Will be good to get onto the shop floor.

And, I am really looking forward to November 5th. Money... Going into the bank! Woo!
    That's the best part!! Have done my second solo shift today and been given a load of overtime And my birthday's 7th November, so that money's coming in just in time

ReputationRep:

Those stories are in their training booklets.

Actually, I made that up, but I wouldn't be surprised, since ALL trainers do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Three non-consecutive sick days in a year gets you a disciplinary though. Gotta love how Sainsburys wants you to turn up to work ill when you're handling food.
    I don't take many days off (One day off in 2 years), but if they where to start disciplinary action with me I would kick up a bit of a fuss. Their handbook states you are not to come in when you have specific illnesses, including something that is contagious.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been talking to customers and then they ask you "Are you studying?" and usually followed by "what and "where?"

What do you say?

I usually tell them what I am studying, but tell them a different University. I really don't need customers knowing where I live thanks...

Oh, and when customers ask your age >_<. All customers think I am 25. It also makes my life easier when asking for ID to say I am 25 >_>
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i went to work with something that was really pretty dangerous to myself, not so much others. but i wouldn't have had a job to come back to (or any earnings) if i'd taken 3 months off. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.