Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifer.re)
    I'm handing in my notice tomorrow.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH
    :/
    :p: Weird reaction! How come you're leaving Sainsbury's then?

(Original post by Foulish)
    x
    I'm glad you got it sorted :yep:

(Original post by jennifer.re)
    I'm handing in my notice tomorrow.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH
    :/
    Congratulations Good Luck!

I wish you all the best in your future job! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    :p: Weird reaction! How come you're leaving Sainsbury's then?
    Yeahhhh.
    I'm going to miss the money, and the people I work with.
    But I'm off to uni, and I really don't want a job during my first year.
    So it's a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really starting to feel part of a group at my sainsburys, its looovely
    We're only a small store, so its not surprising how we've grouped together.

Do your stores arrange nights out together etc?

ReputationRep:
    i sent up my flight today and forgot to put a "no sale" in it, does it really matter? ive signed the flight sheet and ive written my name on it too. anyways, i printed it off and stuck it inside my till just in case.

also, i saw my colleague get threatened with dismissal for clocking out with here coat on (she was in full uniform, just had her coat on) is it really that serious? ive done that sometimes e.g if i finish late.

ReputationRep:
    sainsburys sucks **** imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    I'm really starting to feel part of a group at my sainsburys, its looovely
    We're only a small store, so its not surprising how we've grouped together.

Yeahh our store has nights out,
    All the young-ish people go clubbing and to pubs and sometimes theres a big quiz or party for all the staff. I love the friendliness of my store.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    i sent up my flight today and forgot to put a "no sale" in it, does it really matter? ive signed the flight sheet and ive written my name on it too. anyways, i printed it off and stuck it inside my till just in case.

also, i saw my colleague get threatened with dismissal for clocking out with here coat on (she was in full uniform, just had her coat on) is it really that serious? ive done that sometimes e.g if i finish late.
    Nah I wouldn't worry about it, I sometimes forget to put it in, and they don't care. If the sheets signed then its all good

Ahh thats just petty, getting threatened for dismissal for that!
    Some of our managers can be like that though, like when we're standing near the clocking in/out machines at something like 5:59 they come over and have a go at us for not 'working that extra minute' and how we're 'doing sainsbury's out of one minutes pay' ******** are we.

ReputationRep:

I can see why they done that, a lot of people do abuse the system and bum about until its time to go. Sometimes you see people go to get their bags before they clock out, and technically you're not paid to get your bag.. Although I'm sure this was just a one off, so yeah pretty petty.

Even if you finish late, your extra minutes will probably add up at the end of the month for when pay day is calculated.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it, what exactly did she do that was wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is, You don't wait untill you're shift starts on the clocking in machine to clock in, well I don't anyway, I usually clock in 5 minutes before. So I don't see why they see it as a problem to wait one minute with coats on ready to go to clock out. It is petty

(Original post by Maxxie)
    I don't get it, what exactly did she do that was wrong?
    She used company time to get changed and/or gather her belongings? It should be the other way around, you clock out, and then use your time to get changed and/or gather your belongings.

As others have said, it's petty.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Oh i get it now (I'm slow). I always get changed and then clock out sometimes I have to wait around for a few minutes to clock out on time. I've seen managers waiting around for the clock to hit the right time aswell.

Guess different stores operate differently.

Even if you finish late, your extra minutes will probably add up at the end of the month for when pay day is calculated.
    Lol no they don't, you don't get **** for doing extra minutes unless its organised overtime. But if you're a minute late they jump at the chance to short-time you; which is why if you're late it's best to wait for the next quarter of an hour before you start.

ReputationRep:

They don't unless its 15mins or more and even then they will try and get away with not paying you for it if they can. You have to remind them.

They don't give you anything if you clock out late yet they are the first to complain if you clock out a few mins early once or twice.

Around Christmas time the managers wanted to be out early so they got us all to clock out early. We thought they were just being nice as it was around christmas time but then suddenly people started owing all this time from when they clocked out early.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah most of the U30's all go out together, I normally go out with my friends from work and usually meet up with everyone else including my boss. I didnt want to leave my store simply due to the people I worked with cos I got on so well with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxxie)
    ^ Oh i get it now (I'm slow). I always get changed and then clock out sometimes I have to wait around for a few minutes to clock out on time. I've seen managers waiting around for the clock to hit the right time aswell.

Guess different stores operate differently.

Lol no they don't, you don't get **** for doing extra minutes unless its organised overtime. But if you're a minute late they jump at the chance to short-time you; which is why if you're late it's best to wait for the next quarter of an hour before you start.
    Yeh I couldn't believe it when I first heard about that. Its crazy! Now I clock in at 1 minute before I am due to start & on the dot of when I finish. Although I know a few of our lot clock out 10 minutes early if they have clocked in 10 minutes before they start. And I dont get why they dont get pay docked if this 15 minute rule is actually there :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Yeh I couldn't believe it when I first heard about that. Its crazy! Now I clock in at 1 minute before I am due to start & on the dot of when I finish. Although I know a few of our lot clock out 10 minutes early if they have clocked in 10 minutes before they start. And I dont get why they dont get pay docked if this 15 minute rule is actually there :confused:
    :confused: :confused: I once went late for 1 hour and other day I went late for 30 minutes..........i thought I would be paid less........but to my surprise I got paid the right money. I did not inform them that I am going to be late:confused: :confused:

(Original post by ramnaresh_2000)
    :confused: :confused: I once went late for 1 hour and other day I went late for 30 minutes..........i thought I would be paid less........but to my surprise I got paid the right money. I did not inform them that I am going to be late:confused: :confused:
    I think you have to take into consideration, that the 'clock' system isn't wholly responsible for how much you get paid. Admittedly, it's a resource that could be used, however, it isn't always the case.

Each department has a DAS (Daily Attendance Schedule), and it's from there it's worked out if you attended (and at what time). If you happen to be late, then it'll (depending on the person working the DAS) be marked that you were late and then if Payroll can be bothered they'll look at the clock timings to see what is due etc.

ReputationRep:
    I see the clock in/out debate still continues...

It's not one that I ever have to worry about tbh, because my hours are so tight-knit and at the times when fewest people work there's always so much to do that I always get clocked in at least 5 minutes before and out at least 5-10 minutes after my shift. Yet do I get paid extra for them? Nah.

Friday night - 5 staff left to close.
    Saturday night - 4 staff left to close.

Saturday, we just didn't get any of the checkouts tidyed. I went in to get something on Sunday morning, one of the supervisers who'd been there Saturday night with me said "Yeah by the way... the mess didn't go down well"

Haha well it's not our 4 faults that everyone else is on holiday or ill and they don't want to pay people to cover is it?!

Screw them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.