Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by shooting.star)
    What's end change?
    The plinths at the ends of the aisles all get changed in one night.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I've lurked on this thread for a little bit and its been really useful, so a big thanks for all the contributors

I have a little problem and hope that someone can advise me..

I've worked in a busy store for about three weeks on checkouts (so I've not been there long.) Next friday and saturday I'm contracted to work 4 hrs each day, and I've committed myself to a further 4 hrs overtime on each day (so 8 hrs each day.)

Basically, I reeeeaaaaaly want the saturday off and want to finish a couple of hours earlier on the friday.. so I can go and stay with some friends in the lake district for the night

I'm not getting my hopes too high here, but if anyone could give me any advice as to how best to go about this with a view of getting what I want, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmg83)
    Hi all, I've lurked on this thread for a little bit and its been really useful, so a big thanks for all the contributors

I have a little problem and hope that someone can advise me..

I've worked in a busy store for about three weeks on checkouts (so I've not been there long.) Next friday and saturday I'm contracted to work 4 hrs each day, and I've committed myself to a further 4 hrs overtime on each day (so 8 hrs each day.)

Basically, I reeeeaaaaaly want the saturday off and want to finish a couple of hours earlier on the friday.. so I can go and stay with some friends in the lake district for the night

I'm not getting my hopes too high here, but if anyone could give me any advice as to how best to go about this with a view of getting what I want, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Only thing I can suggest is asking around and seeing if you can swap shifts with someone else, otherwise you're stuck doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Meh I don't even think its worth asking tbh, I'll probably just end up making a tit of myself. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, I am going to be so much happier once we move into the store. It is really difficult at the moment, particularly as I had to move a shift - tracking down my department manager has proved impossible.

Still a week today, we'll be in the new store. Woo!

ReputationRep:
    4 days till pay day wooooohoooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    4 days till pay day wooooohoooo
    Usually it feels so far away from the last payday, and the payday coming up. But this one seems to have come around pretty fast. And I didn't even realise we had a slight payrise last month.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised no one has mentioned this but In March next year Junior Compitent pay is going to become same as the adult (over 18) pay rate. Awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering for those that work on checkouts or who have a lot of customer interaction...do you often make small talk/conversation with the customers?
    Or is it just the hello and that is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tosh999)
    Just wondering for those that work on checkouts or who have a lot of customer interaction...do you often make small talk/conversation with the customers?
    It depends on the customer. Some want to chat about anything or everything, others really, really don't. You can normally tell if a customer is going to be chatty or not from their reaction to your initial hellos etc. As long as you are polite and try to make their shopping experience as positive as possible, I don't think it matters whether you make small talk or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    It depends on the customer. Some want to chat about anything or everything, others really, really don't. You can normally tell if a customer is going to be chatty or not from their reaction to your initial hellos etc. As long as you are polite and try to make their shopping experience as positive as possible, I don't think it matters whether you make small talk or not.
    Thanks

The problem is when you're working on the shop floor and customers get too friendly and talk too much. You just want to get on with the job.

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever have a customer that comes in daily/weekly.

That you recognise and is either rude or very pleasant..

I used to get this customer who used to come in 3-4 times a week. She was about 18-20, and was very nice. She would always smile and say hello and would say her please and thankyous. And apologise for the "inconvenience" if she caused any (which she didnt really lol)

She was also pretty funny, if she came in with I think it was her sister or cousin they always used to pick on each other which was so funny as a joke. One of the most pleasant customers ive come across

Having customers like that really just make the job worthwhile

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever have a customer that comes in daily/weekly.

That you recognise and is either rude or very pleasant..

I used to get this customer who used to come in 3-4 times a week. She was about 18-20, and was very nice. She would always smile and say hello and would say her please and thankyous. And apologise for the "inconvenience" if she caused any (which she didnt really lol)

She was also pretty funny, if she came in with I think it was her sister or cousin they always used to pick on each other which was so funny as a joke. One of the most pleasant customers ive come across

Having customers like that really just make the job worthwhile

I love old people that come up for a chat when i'm putting electrical stuff out and they talk to me about their irons and microwaves, i think it's really sweet

I also get a woman that comes up to me every Sunday guaranteed, and she always asks for me to check for something in the back thats out of stock. Always. I always scan the ticket for her and tell her when it's next coming in but she never understands why i can't get her the product right that second.

ReputationRep:
    i rarely have customers have a chat with me and i do find quite a lot of customers blank me when they ask a question (gone off initial topic) and i turn to them ready to answer but instead they want an answer from the colleague im next to even when she doesn't immediately turn around.

maybe you should keep that lil item that lady wants for next time she comes in, bet she'll be delighted. when you check when an out of stock item will next be back in do you always add on a bit to say'it is expected to arrive but it is possible that it would not be on the delivery'. i do only because i know how rubbish gm stock is, we have 170 out of stocks in our dept and it is only 3 aisles.

anyways what are you guys take on the TU clothing we sell, never bought any clothes from there but with 25% off plus 15% discount thats just over 37% off, could be good for christmas pressies.

ReputationRep:
    When you reach your 6 months service, do you get your discount card automatically or do you need to ask your manager for it? Also, if i used my discount card with my mum's shopping (she uses her debit card) would i get into trouble as i'm not paying for the shopping?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LordOfTheIsles)
    When you reach your 6 months service, do you get your discount card automatically or do you need to ask your manager for it? Also, if i used my discount card with my mum's shopping (she uses her debit card) would i get into trouble as i'm not paying for the shopping?
    1. you have to collect it from HR
    2. it takes 24 hours to activate. if you live with your mum you can put her name on it. if her name isn't on it she can't use it - you'll get into trouble

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    On the handset the shoppers ude to scan the boxes and totes and such what does action 8 do? I did it by accident twice today and I don't actually know what ot does?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I try to, but as someone else has said, you can usually tell which customers don't want to talk. Saying that I had a pretty good day customer wise today, most of them were really lovely, even if they were complaining about the length of the queues. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    anyways what are you guys take on the TU clothing we sell, never bought any clothes from there but with 25% off plus 15% discount thats just over 37% off, could be good for christmas pressies.
    I bought trackie bottoms from TU, and due to the price and quality, i went back and bought a second pair

Weirdly though one pair bobbled a lot after washing while the other pair stayed smooth.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.