Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can any1 help me with my code controller post a feww back??
    really appreciate i need to let them know at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    guys a bit of a silly question but on the status thing online if it changes from "verbel offer accepted" to "hired" does it mean reference check was okay and that I officialy have the job, or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_1919)
    Hi Guys

I work as online shopper at sainsburys part time but have been offered to go for internal vacancy as "code controller" cos its full time hours which i need. but i really have no idea about what this job is really like.. ive asked 1 guy who does it already in our store but hes not very talkative, he only said that he works 6-7 days a week

.. which i kinda dont want to do, but what is the job like ?? has anyone done this?? i know u basically spend all your time in perishable goods checking the dates and moving the stock around and reducing items, is that right? do you think it would be boring?? do u have to be really good with numbers?

sorry for all the qs!
    thank u any1 who replies
    I was trained on COD but never actually did it. All i know is it requires a lot of patience and its a very very important job as it relates to shrink and waste. The managers need to achieve shrink and waste targets every period as it effects their bonus and PDR. You will also need to attend waste huddles everyday and good thing is u dont have respond to calls on checkouts when working as COD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tosh999)
    guys a bit of a silly question but on the status thing online if it changes from "verbel offer accepted" to "hired" does it mean reference check was okay and that I officialy have the job, or what?
    Yes you got the job...they should have called u for induction. No it doesnt meen your reference check is done. Your previous employer should respond to your reference letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Want to know what really annoys me? When people put their cash/Nectar down on the bagging area instead of actually handing me them. So ignorant.
    Sorry but the thing that really gets to me is when they're talking on the phone/ have their ipod headphones in when you serve them. Grrrr.

Oh and the odd customer who before you even start the first thing they say to you is ' i dont have a nectar card, i dont want one, im not interested. thankyou'
    It's like dude, calm the **** down, i was only going to ask if you had one or not.

I've also had a few people who stand there and watch you put it all through and when they've paid then they decide to pack. I don't mind people who just have one or two bits and do that but people who have sort of 5+ bags of stuff and then do that, wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Sorry but the thing that really gets to me is when they're talking on the phone/ have their ipod headphones in when you serve them. Grrrr.

Oh and the odd customer who before you even start the first thing they say to you is ' i dont have a nectar card, i dont want one, im not interested. thankyou'
    It's like dude, calm the **** down, i was only going to ask if you had one or not.

I've also had a few people who stand there and watch you put it all through and when they've paid then they decide to pack. I don't mind people who just have one or two bits and do that but people who have sort of 5+ bags of stuff and then do that, wtf?
    I had a lot of customers like that when I was last in. The entire bagging section would be full of stuff and they would still just be standing there. Given it was a busy Saturday, I would give up waiting and start packing myself. They were all young students too - mainly internationals. I don't mind packing for people, particularly older customers, but the way some just stand there annoys me. It is, after all, a 'self-service' shop...

Thankfully, I'm not on tills for over a week as we have just moved to our new store. In tomorrow and Saturday and will be doing self stacking as we don't open until next Wednesday. Might make a nice change.

Filling up an empty store must be sort of weird. Would like to give it a go sometime...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got an interview tommrow and was just wondering do they ask you to tell them some facts about Sainsburys??
    thank-youu for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Filling up an empty store must be sort of weird. Would like to give it a go sometime...
    I've not been in yet despite us having been in the new store since Monday, so I assume it won't be completely empty when I go in tomorrow. I agree that it is strange though. A lot of the existing staff seemed very excited to be moving to somewhere so completely new. Apparently the cafe and offices are on a mezzanine level above the shop and stuff, so it sounds pretty fancy.

ReputationRep:
    to the person who responded about code control, thank you for the info that was helpful
    sorry im being thick but what does COD stand for? i presume we are talkin about the same thing.
    they refered to it to me as 'code checker'?

also to the person who asked "hired" on your interview status doesnt mean your reference has come back yet as that can take a while but will not affect your status at this point, it would take a really bad reference to come back for them to re-consider your employment status but even that would be subject to discussion.. i dont think either of my references came back but it was not a problem.. x

ReputationRep:
    Ps: the guy i know who does code checking DOES get check out calls cos i have seen him & sometimes he seems to be replenishing in other departments if required like i have seen him in the bakery dept before putting the bread out. is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hii)
    Hi, I've got an interview tommrow and was just wondering do they ask you to tell them some facts about Sainsburys??
    thank-youu for any help

hi, not really but they might say something like "tell us what you know about sainsburys" or what you like about it.. something like that.. they dont expect you reel off facts but it wouldnt hurt to maybe find out a few things about the history of the store (wiki!) if yu really wana impress them, just dont make it sound too fake. what i did when they said this was just to speak from my own experience of sainsburys... cos my job is in the online dept i said that we use the online delivery service at home cos we do, and said what was good about it and why we use it and how we have shopped at sainsburys for years and other family members hav worked there etc and that it was good company.. seemed to go down pretty well haha

good luck! just relax, be urself, and be human..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hii)
    thank-youu for any help

I'm going to research the following things for my interview, hope they help you:

Your store:
    Manager's name
    Opening hours
    Information about the car park

In general:
    Their profits over the last few years
    Number of employees in total
    Number of stores in total
    Future plans (from newspaper interviews)
    Info about the Nectar card
    Rivalry with the Big 4

=)

(Original post by Kash:))
    How did you get to the interview stage?
    You need to pass the online questionnaire to get to the interview stage. As soon as a few people pass it they take the vacancy off the website.
    What Michael said. =)

ReputationRep:
    hi, not really but they might say something like "tell us what you know about sainsburys" or what you like about it.. something like that.. they dont expect you reel off facts but it wouldnt hurt to maybe find out a few things about the history of the store (wiki!) if yu really wana impress them, just dont make it sound too fake. what i did when they said this was just to speak from my own experience of sainsburys... cos my job is in the online dept i said that we use the online delivery service at home cos we do, and said what was good about it and why we use it and how we have shopped at sainsburys for years and other family members hav worked there etc and that it was good company.. seemed to go down pretty well haha

good luck! just relax, be urself, and be human..
    Thank-you....yeah I'll look up a few things about the store....
    I'm really nervous though .... I hope the test isn't too bad!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=HarryA;28450589]I'm going to research the following things for my interview, hope they help you:

Your store:
    Manager's name
    Opening hours
    Information about the car park

In general:
    Their profits over the last few years
    Number of employees in total
    Number of stores in total
    Future plans (from newspaper interviews)
    Info about the Nectar card
    Rivalry with the Big 4

=)

thank-youu... I'll look up some of those things! When's your interview??

ReputationRep:
    :mad:
    Saying all that, I find it rude when people come to the till with colleague discount and you go to swipe it, then grunt to you "You need to type it in".

I was told that soon with cards that don't swipe, you will need to get a new card by the end of the next tax year, otherwise we will not be able to process them, any truth in this story people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hii)
    Thank-you....yeah I'll look up a few things about the store....
    I'm really nervous though .... I hope the test isn't too bad!

you will be fine.. i was pretty nervous bout it cos nerves get the better of me on interviews and tests, but just relax and dont overthink things, go for the answer you think the CUSTOMER would be most happy with and thats what sainsburys want you to do

ReputationRep:
    you will be fine.. i was pretty nervous bout it cos nerves get the better of me on interviews and tests, but just relax and dont overthink things, go for the answer you think the CUSTOMER would be most happy with and thats what sainsburys want you to do
    I'm the same in interview and tests! I will do.... thank-youu
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you can ask for a new card now i think, i saw a notice about it somewhere in store.

as for researching questions- store manager name? whaaat? they won't expect you to know that... i just talked about their ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    you can ask for a new card now i think, i saw a notice about it somewhere in store.

as for researching questions- store manager name? whaaat? they won't expect you to know that... i just talked about their ethics.

yeh i never said anything bout the store at all ! had never even been shopping in that branch!:rolleyes: just wung it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.