Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I had a lot of customers like that when I was last in. The entire bagging section would be full of stuff and they would still just be standing there. Given it was a busy Saturday, I would give up waiting and start packing myself. They were all young students too - mainly internationals. I don't mind packing for people, particularly older customers, but the way some just stand there annoys me. It is, after all, a 'self-service' shop...

Thankfully, I'm not on tills for over a week as we have just moved to our new store. In tomorrow and Saturday and will be doing self stacking as we don't open until next Wednesday. Might make a nice change.

If they ask me for help packing, i'd be more than happy to, but I hate it when they just stand and stare at you expectantly. I had one woman the other day that turned round and shouted at me, 'Do you not help with packing anymore then?!'

I was just overly sweet to her and said that yes, customers could request help with packing if they so wished

Lucky for you, i'd love a week off the tills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    You need to pass the online questionnaire to get to the interview stage. As soon as a few people pass it they take the vacancy off the website.
    I take it you can you only take the questionnaire if there's any vacancies in the stores you've selected

(Original post by Kash:))
    I take it you can you only take the questionnaire if there's any vacancies in the stores you've selected
    Yeah, and you have to complete it for each vacancy you apply for.

ReputationRep:
    im confused!

u see ID'ing people, I get that you ID the purchaser if he/she looks under 25...BUT do you HAVE to ID people they are with ALWAYS?

What if a mum is out with her 11 year old daughter or her 3 month year old baby?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tosh999)
    im confused!

u see ID'ing people, I get that you ID the purchaser if he/she looks under 25...BUT do you HAVE to ID people they are with ALWAYS?

What if a mum is out with her 11 year old daughter or her 3 month year old baby?
    i would just think about the situation. if it looks like the woman is buying for the daughter/son then i would ID both. just use your head as to whether you should ID or not

im confused!

You ask the others if the age restricted product is clearly being bought for them.

ReputationRep:
    im confused!

You just have to use your common sense. A woman with a baby clearly isn't going to be supplying the alcohol to them. Then there are teens that have just gone with their mum or dad shopping. Like someone said, if they're obviously buying it to supply it to them, then ask for ID. mostly if it's child/parent I wouldn't question it. I think it's legal to drink with your parents in a private home anyway. It's when you have a group of all young people or a young person with an older friend that you need to worry about ID'ing all of them really.

ReputationRep:
    Ok what about there being a guy who looks under 25 but DEFO over 18, and I ID him. He has his gf with him who also looks under 25 do I ID her but she is not the one buying alcohol she is just there with him?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ok what about there being a guy who looks under 25 but DEFO over 18, and I ID him. He has his gf with him who also looks under 25 do I ID her but she is not the one buying alcohol she is just there with him?
    It would depend on you but I would personally ID both just to be safe. better to cover your own back than be caught out and end up losing your job or something.

ReputationRep:
    I hate Nectar cards!!! Had one woman stand and argue with me for ages today because she couldn't pay the final £2.11 on her bill with her Nectar points. You've just got nearly £70 off, stop whinging!!

/rant

Think she went to bug Customer Services after me, even though I explained that you can only redeem points in £2.50 installments, thus I cannot take £2.11 worth of points off:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The whole challenge 25 thing is just ridiculous. On my first day on the till I challenged a big scary chav who was clearly over 18 but not over 25. He didn't have Id on him and was, understandably, quite upset about me refusing to serve him. So now I tend not to challenge if they are clearly over 18,despite doubting if theyre over 25.

imo, the whole thing is an over the top reaction to campaign group pressure and media hysteria towards binge/under-age drinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmg83)
    The whole challenge 25 thing is just ridiculous. On my first day on the till I challenged a big scary chav who was clearly over 18 but not over 25. He didn't have Id on him and was, understandably, quite upset about me refusing to serve him. So now I tend not to challenge if they are clearly over 18,despite doubting if theyre over 25.

imo, the whole thing is an over the top reaction to campaign group pressure and media hysteria towards binge/under-age drinking.
    I can see what you mean. I tend to play it safe and have IDed people who have turned out to be 30 before now. They are usually a bit taken aback, but thankfully all have had ID. I am expecting things to be a bit more difficult in my new store - the local kids are a bit, well, chavvy and all the locals working there are expecting trouble. Eeeckk.

I had my self-service checkout training last night and the woman was telling us that we must check down the list of age-restricted products to watch for paracetamol. The trainer talked about how we must ensure customers do not buy more than two packets again, and again, and again. I understand the policy and some of the reasons behind it, but I imagine that when you have to inform someone they cannot buy what they are trying to buy, they won't take it too kindly. :/

The new store is quite nice but it isn't ready yet. There were lots of contractors in working on the building structure, whilst others were starting to stack the shelves. One slightly annoying thing is that there is a flight of stairs next to the checkouts, which goes up to the cafe and the staff area. However, staff are not allowed to use them. Instead, we have to go to the back of the store, through the storerooms and then up the stairs and back along the length of the building to reach the staff area. I only get 1 break a week because of my shifts so it is hardly a problem, it just seems a little silly to go so far out of your way to reach somewhere 1 minute away via the other stairs lol.

ReputationRep:
    oh my, dont even get me started on chavy! My store is right next to a huge council estate.. the calibre of customer is less than classy to say the least. However, I dont think we have much of a problem with under 18's attempting to buy alcohol, since they might now expect to be refused a sale if the dont have id, So whilst its important to be consistent in id'ing under-aged customers, lets please not take it to the silly levels that is challenge 25!

quote: "but I imagine that when you have to inform someone they cannot buy what they are trying to buy, they won't take it too kindly. :/"

I think here its important to convey that its company policy rather than a personal decision on your part, as then any anger is against the company and not against you.

aaaaand dont even get me started on the staff area's location > Your policy sounds ridiculous. At ours, if you have a 15 min break 10 mins is taken by walking the length of the store and back area 4 times... (go get things from locker, go to smoking bench, go put stuff back, get to check out...) If i were manager lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    we don't really have a nice staff area location... we are allowed to buy things during the night now cos we don't have prepared food and the vending machine stuff doesn't seem to be rotated very often lol

we don't get many chavs at night

ReputationRep:
    hi guys
    think 25 is part of the job i most worry about they come down on yu like a ton of bricks if you mess up so its always best to be on the side of caution. thankfully i rarely get check out call so doesn't come up much for me (yet).

speakin of which, when i was shopping in sainsburys recently (a diff branch to the one i work at) i was using self service and buying some pro-plus which is an off the shelf caffiene supplement for energy (u prob all know it, just like red bull or something in pill form)... i was only buying 1 box.. n the alarm thing went off saying age restricted product.. someone came over and ID'd me.. why is this product age restricted???? i had no idea it would be, lucky i had my ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmg83)
    oooh yet more mysterious company readingment..
    readingment?

im sorry to say but I did go to a NOONs factory and see no logic in me lying
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jack_1919)
    hi guys
    think 25 is part of the job i most worry about they come down on yu like a ton of bricks if you mess up so its always best to be on the side of caution. thankfully i rarely get check out call so doesn't come up much for me (yet).

speakin of which, when i was shopping in sainsburys recently (a diff branch to the one i work at) i was using self service and buying some pro-plus which is an off the shelf caffiene supplement for energy (u prob all know it, just like red bull or something in pill form)... i was only buying 1 box.. n the alarm thing went off saying age restricted product.. someone came over and ID'd me.. why is this product age restricted???? i had no idea it would be, lucky i had my ID.
    i think most medicines are age restricted actually, tablets and stuff anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)

I had my self-service checkout training last night and the woman was telling us that we must check down the list of age-restricted products to watch for paracetamol. The trainer talked about how we must ensure customers do not buy more than two packets again, and again, and again. I understand the policy and some of the reasons behind it, but I imagine that when you have to inform someone they cannot buy what they are trying to buy, they won't take it too kindly. :/
    Its not actually a law its a agreement that shops have signed up to. So its not against the law to sell more than 2 packs. If Sainsbury's are that worried they should get the till to stop it like Tesco's ones do.

I did get the odd person get annoyed when I wouldn't sell them more than 2 packs, mainly middle aged women. Start asking if I won't sell them because I think they are going to top themselves, or ask if they can have more than 2 if they promise they wont top themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Its not actually a law its a agreement that shops have signed up to. So its not against the law to sell more than 2 packs. If Sainsbury's are that worried they should get the till to stop it like Tesco's ones do.

I did get the odd person get annoyed when I wouldn't sell them more than 2 packs, mainly middle aged women. Start asking if I won't sell them because I think they are going to top themselves, or ask if they can have more than 2 if they promise they wont top themselves.
    Oh, I know it isn't law just company policy.

We talked about that. How it would be good if the self service tills would prevent more than two packets being bought in one transaction. The trainer just said they might bring something like that in with future improvements.

ReputationRep:
    i work in online dept we have a lot of online orders where people order multiple amounts of paracetmol or aspirin etc, n it seems to be down to the shopper to mention it to the manager if they think its too many, there is no alert on the system or anything. sometimes we ring the customer to inform we can only provide them with 2 packs or something, but not always

also i picked an order the other day where they bought about 24 different types of aerosol deodrant. i told my manager about it but im not sure if he contacted the customer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.