Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the topic of Self Scans, I've been working with them long enough to see that while they are useful for the odd item or two, the majority of people still cannot use the machines properly.
    One of the main issues people have had is thinking the machine is ripping them off. There has to be some way for the offers on products to automatically come off when the item is being scanned. I've had countless customers come to me complaining that x is two for £4 and its coming up as £2.99 each. Obviously all you need to do is hit "finish & pay" then "go back" and the offer comes off, but the majority of our customers don't know this. If Sainsbury's fixed this small problem with the machines I'm sure it would make all the difference.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jack_1919)
    i work in online dept we have a lot of online orders where people order multiple amounts of paracetmol or aspirin etc, n it seems to be down to the shopper to mention it to the manager if they think its too many, there is no alert on the system or anything. sometimes we ring the customer to inform we can only provide them with 2 packs or something, but not always

also i picked an order the other day where they bought about 24 different types of aerosol deodrant. i told my manager about it but im not sure if he contacted the customer.
    haha wow 24??? that sounds weird

ReputationRep:
    i work in online dept we have a lot of online orders where people order multiple amounts of paracetmol or aspirin etc, n it seems to be down to the shopper to mention it to the manager if they think its too many, there is no alert on the system or anything. sometimes we ring the customer to inform we can only provide them with 2 packs or something, but not always

also i picked an order the other day where they bought about 24 different types of aerosol deodrant. i told my manager about it but im not sure if he contacted the customer.
    Is that not allowed? I had someone doing a month's+ shop for about 10 people the other day, so everything was in bulk including a lot of aerosol sprays...

ReputationRep:
    i dunno whats allowed really it comes to aerosol- but we tend to use our discretion so we do alert our manager if anything at all seems a bit 'weird' in the order, also to check that the customer has not made a genuine mistake on something. we'd usually just ring up to check that is what they wanted. a lot of people buy in bulk but what struck me as being a bit odd was the amount of single types of different deodrant, like quantity 1 of about 24 diff types, mens and womens. not ones on offer or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there is no limit on aerosols, you are told to look for signs of solvent abuse though. Like buying aerosols and lots of packets of crisps. I think spots around their mouth was another sign obviously thats no good if its online.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to secure an Interview for a General Assistant position. I was told to expect a DVD Questionnaire firstly then a one-to-one interview.

Is there anything I should prepare for the one-to-one?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    Yeah there is no limit on aerosols, you are told to look for signs of solvent abuse though. Like buying aerosols and lots of packets of crisps. I think spots around their mouth was another sign obviously thats no good if its online.
    ahaha can imagine our drivers having to do this at the door next...full medical examination b4 we will hand over the deodrant n crisps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak)
    I managed to secure an Interview for a General Assistant position. I was told to expect a DVD Questionnaire firstly then a one-to-one interview.

Is there anything I should prepare for the one-to-one?

Thanks.
    General inteview questions really.

'Why should i hire you'
    'What can you bring to sainsburys'
    'Why have you chosen to apply'

etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Last day tomorrow... not looking forward to it though... heard that you're not allowed on tills on your last day... I haven't been trained for anything else. I don't even know how to stack shelves: they never trained me to use the the cardboard compactor thingy or any of the cages or frames or anything... I don't even know where any of the sections in the shop are...

So I've got a seven hour shift and I have no idea what's happening. So I get to leave on a royally incompetent note. Yay....

ReputationRep:
    Is till training hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tosh999)
    Is till training hard?
    No.

You will watch a few DVDs on customer service, fake notes etc. Then you will be taken down to the tills and we basically play shop for a while, in pairs - each taking it in turns to scan things, try 'paying' by cash or card, taking off security tags, using nectar cards and coupons. The trainer will add new things whilst you are practicing. There is another bit in the training room and you have to take a test - like the one on the induction. After that, you should be given the chance to 'go live' and serve actual customers, usually with a buddy or experienced member of staff on hand to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Last day tomorrow... not looking forward to it though... heard that you're not allowed on tills on your last day... I haven't been trained for anything else. I don't even know how to stack shelves: they never trained me to use the the cardboard compactor thingy or any of the cages or frames or anything... I don't even know where any of the sections in the shop are...

So I've got a seven hour shift and I have no idea what's happening. So I get to leave on a royally incompetent note. Yay....
    hi m8... how comes ur leaving? i dunno what they have u do 2moro.. didnt know u werent allowed on tills on ur last day? y do they presume every1s gonna nick something? the amount of times i been randomly searched is ridiculous, makes me feel like im a criminal thats one thing i dont like about it i know they have to protect their company but the staff for the most part are in it to do an honest job n a little trust wouldnt hurt. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    hi m8... how comes ur leaving? i dunno what they have u do 2moro.. didnt know u werent allowed on tills on ur last day? y do they presume every1s gonna nick something? the amount of times i been randomly searched is ridiculous, makes me feel like im a criminal thats one thing i dont like about it i know they have to protect their company but the staff for the most part are in it to do an honest job n a little trust wouldnt hurt. :eek:
    Nothing wrong with the job, just needed to leave pretty quickly for external reasons back home.

I've only been here 6 weeks, never left the checkouts so I barely know my way around the shop, when customers ask me where things are, 90% of the time I have no idea.

A couple of weeks ago the tills were dead quiet so they put some of us onto replenishment... I did the best I could but I had no idea what I was doing at all... kept having to ask people what to do.

I had a load of cardboard and went into the back to ask someone where to put it, and she was like "What are you talking about? you use the compactor, haven't you been trained on it?"

I said "No, I've only ever been on checkouts"
    and she had a massive go at me for not being trained on it, "everyone is supposed to be trained on it in their induction, so you must have been trained"
    "I wasn't"
    "That's impossible, you must have been"

Well obviously I haven't! She made me feel about 2 inches tall!
    So I feel like I've got an entire day of that ahead of me tomorrow... really not looking forward to it at all.

ReputationRep:
    and she had a massive go at me for not being trained on it, "everyone is supposed to be trained on it in their induction, so you must have been trained"
    "I wasn't"

So I feel like I've got an entire day of that ahead of me tomorrow... really not looking forward to it at all.
    we were all told we HAD to be trained on the bailer on induction and had to sign to say we had done so... every one of us.. no matter what our job in the store was
    .. never had to touch it since tho
    i think ur induction trainer should be the one getting in trouble not u!! somethin musta gone wrong there!!
    u will be fine 2moro just look at it this way if its that bad just get up and walk out what they gonna do, fire ya? :P

ReputationRep:
    When I worked at PC World, we were searched every time we left with a 'magic wand', bag search and 'pat down'. You had to declare any money or items of value when you came into store and it was all written down in a book. The majority of my training was on security, not customer service etc.

So, when I got to Sainsbury's, I was pleasantly surprised. However, I do understand what you mean. When I had my self-service checkout training last night, the woman kept going on about the 'gold key' and how we are not allowed it. But, she said, they 'trust us' with the silver key because that only gives us access to small amounts of money. It seemed silly when on the till, you can be handling hundreds of pounds. :/

I had a load of cardboard and went into the back to ask someone where to put it, and she was like "What are you talking about? you use the compactor, haven't you been trained on it?"

I said "No, I've only ever been on checkouts"
    "I wasn't"

Ditto to never having been trained on it. My induction, whilst very pleasant, was so laid back, we didn't do most of the things we were supposed to. On the second day, another woman took over and she was shocked that we hadn't been trained the on cardboard thing, or used the trolleys or anything like that. However, she didn't have time to do it. Then, when I was given a brief tour of the new shop last night, the girl mentioned that we will be trained on the cardboard thing at some point. Goodness knows when...

It is bad to make you feel bad about not knowing. It is better to be honest and say you haven't been trained on it - which isn't your fault anyway - that try using it and risk hurting yourself or others.

ReputationRep:
    we were all told we HAD to be trained on the bailer on induction and had to sign to say we had done so... every one of us.. no matter what our job in the store was
    i think ur induction trainer should be the one getting in trouble not u!! somethin musta gone wrong there!!
    u will be fine 2moro just look at it this way if its that bad just get up and walk out what they gonna do, fire ya? :P
    Our induction trainer made us sign to say we had done it. She signed it off to say we had. Even though we hadn't... I hope I don't ever have to use those things. I want to stay on my till lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Our induction trainer made us sign to say we had done it. She signed it off to say we had. Even though we hadn't... I hope I don't ever have to use those things. I want to stay on my till lol.

omg :eek: thats really bad! my induction trainers made a big song and dance about the bailer ... how important it was that we were all trained on it.. made us all use it on by one for about 20 minutes.. then had to sign the form thingy... amazed u just got signed off withoout even seeing it, that could get u in big trouble if ur asked to use it and would do so unsafely.... which puts u at risk.. i think ur trainer is bang out of order :eek:

ReputationRep:
    another thing that i dont like is when i go in to my store on a day off just for a second to buy something and see one of my m8s who works there, stop to say hi for one minute and get in actual trouble from the manager then and there or on my next shift.. simply for saying hi to my friend.. i am a customer there on my days off and i never distract them from their work i make sure they can keep moving if i stop to say hello. sometimes u feel like its a prison.

ReputationRep:
    ... or withhold my pay? :P hehe
    To be honest, if they forget to train their staff, I might be lucky and they could forget to not let me on checkouts tomorrow... i know where I am with checkouts! 7 hours of replenishment when I've never been trained to replenish before sounds like hell

Ditto to never having been trained on it. My induction, whilst very pleasant, was so laid back, we didn't do most of the things we were supposed to. On the second day, another woman took over and she was shocked that we hadn't been trained the on cardboard thing, or used the trolleys or anything like that. However, she didn't have time to do it. Then, when I was given a brief tour of the new shop last night, the girl mentioned that we will be trained on the cardboard thing at some point. Goodness knows when...

It is bad to make you feel bad about not knowing. It is better to be honest and say you haven't been trained on it - which isn't your fault anyway - that try using it and risk hurting yourself or others.
    Yeah I don't mind being that insufferable incompetent person, as long as they are understanding
    It's my last day... I'm not going to be able to keep nice and courteous and humble and deferential if I'm shouted at for not being trained. Who shouts at someone for not being trained?! It's not their freakin' fault is it? haha

I'm sure they'll be lovely though.. I always think of the worst case scenarios.. the reality is that they're mostly just lovely people!

ReputationRep:
    The same thing happened to me. I'm freaking out that, by signing it, the legal responsibility is with me now, and somehow they'll turn that into a way to give me a disciplinary!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.