Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShiFty Kid)
    Job induction tomorrow for a night shift role.
    What should I wear at the induction? Would Jeans, tshirt and black shoes be ok?
    Yeah thats fine, i just had jeans and a shirt on. Your just in a room for the most part of it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    As a part time employee (13 hours a week), am I entitled to take bank holidays off?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks. 1 Day induction tomorrow. Exciting. Not :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triiden)
    As a part time employee (13 hours a week), am I entitled to take bank holidays off?
    I think so. You have a set amount of hours to book off, from which you would have to deduct the bank holidays. I am on 12 hours a week and have booked New Year's Day off, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had an interview for a job at sainsburys 8 days ago and have heard nothing back, is this usual? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    first thing i would say is why the heck would you want a job on nights :eek3:
    secondly i would say not very difficult. if most places are anything like mine then they will be begging for new staff. staff turnover seems very high
    Because it usually has a bigger pay I heard and I don't want to interract with the customers too much lol. I wouldn't mind working nights at all.

is the staff turnover seems to be high overall or just in night shifts?

ReputationRep:
    Think I'd better get on to booking christmas day off seeing as so many managers are turning round and expecting people to work :\ Don't mind working xmas eve as all I usually do is watch a few christmas films and wrap presents.

Anyone else struggling with the amount of overtime they're being asked to work? Yes, I technically can work the hours, but it leaves me no time to rest between college/revise for exams. Tried explaining this to my manager but to no avail. We're so understaffed on shift it's unreal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiskeyinthejar)
    Think I'd better get on to booking christmas day off seeing as so many managers are turning round and expecting people to work :\ Don't mind working xmas eve as all I usually do is watch a few christmas films and wrap presents.

Anyone else struggling with the amount of overtime they're being asked to work? Yes, I technically can work the hours, but it leaves me no time to rest between college/revise for exams. Tried explaining this to my manager but to no avail. We're so understaffed on shift it's unreal.
    I totally understand the overtime thing. I did 50 hours in the past two weeks, when I am only on a 12-a-week contract. Overtime is voluntary though. When they asked me to sign up for some more on Saturday, I said no. You shouldn't have to justify yourself to your manager...

I've booked Christmas day off. They didn't offer the option of working the hours earlier in the week. Shame, cause I would have rather done that and then have the holidays to take off elsewhere...

ReputationRep:
    What do you think are the chances that they'll let me take 3 months off next summer? Any one done a similar thing? I'm guessing they will allow it as uni students always leave and come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taurus-)
    What do you think are the chances that they'll let me take 3 months off next summer? Any one done a similar thing? I'm guessing they will allow it as uni students always leave and come back.
    I don't have a great idea on this but my thoughts are it would depend entirely on your store's attitude. A lot of stores would most likely be flexible, many others would stick to company policy to the letter.

No harm in asking, of course!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    Because it usually has a bigger pay I heard and I don't want to interract with the customers too much lol. I wouldn't mind working nights at all.

is the staff turnover seems to be high overall or just in night shifts?
    Only on night shift. Most of our night staff move to days 'cos they hate it. :tongue: Erm, positives...
    + £1.50 an hour more than days;
    + no customers
    + don't have to work as many days.
    Downsides...
    - gets very lonely (you normally work alone)
    - its cold
    - bad sleeping patterns
    - LOTS of work
    - get ill more easily (because its cold/disrupted sleep patterns)
    - if its anything like ours then staff morale is low. as a result of the above

i heard yesterday that a store nearby has about 35 members of staff on every night shift. we normally have 7... and we're not a particularly small store!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    We have about 7-11 people on night shift, store is a reasonable size not massive though. I've only been here about 9 weeks now but 3 people have already left in that time. I don't think the staff morale is low though, endless banter.

Maybe I'm too new to be sick of it but I really don't mind it, I like hard physical labour and a bit introverted. As for overtime, I'm on a 20 hour contract and been doing 40 hours a week the past 5 weeks or so though have turned down a few other nights too.

Only issue so far is sleeping though it seems to have corrected itself these past couple of days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Only on night shift. Most of our night staff move to days 'cos they hate it. :tongue: Erm, positives...
    + £1.50 an hour more than days;
    + no customers
    + don't have to work as many days.
    Downsides...
    - gets very lonely (you normally work alone)
    - its cold
    - bad sleeping patterns
    - LOTS of work
    - get ill more easily (because its cold/disrupted sleep patterns)
    - if its anything like ours then staff morale is low. as a result of the above

i heard yesterday that a store nearby has about 35 members of staff on every night shift. we normally have 7... and we're not a particularly small store!! :confused:
    I'm a nights person anyway really, the +1.50 is a real bonus tbh and no customers is a heaven lol, unless it is a 24/7 shop? :-0

my sleeping patterns are already bad. e.g. go to sleep at 1/2am and wake up at 6 or 7am.

do they might still you ask to work extra days even if it wasn't in the job ad/contract?

I heard about the load of the work, my cousin worked in the night shift.

(Original post by drakesdrum)
    We have about 7-11 people on night shift, store is a reasonable size not massive though. I've only been here about 9 weeks now but 3 people have already left in that time. I don't think the staff morale is low though, endless banter.

Maybe I'm too new to be sick of it but I really don't mind it, I like hard physical labour and a bit introverted. As for overtime, I'm on a 20 hour contract and been doing 40 hours a week the past 5 weeks or so though have turned down a few other nights too.

Only issue so far is sleeping though it seems to have corrected itself these past couple of days
    Thanks for the replies guys/girls, really appreciated it.

ReputationRep:
    Just got a call from my shift manager saying I was supposed to start at 1pm today... I didn't know I was supposed to be in for shift at all. I would have been at college today anyway if it wasn't closed because of the snow? They know this. So I've got to go in at 5. Said I'd do overtime on checkouts today :/ Need to get this sorted, lack of communication ftw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiskeyinthejar)
    Just got a call from my shift manager saying I was supposed to start at 1pm today... I didn't know I was supposed to be in for shift at all. I would have been at college today anyway if it wasn't closed because of the snow? They know this. So I've got to go in at 5. Said I'd do overtime on checkouts today :/ Need to get this sorted, lack of communication ftw?
    Did you sign up for overtime from 1pm? Check the schedules up on the staff area when you go in to make sure there are no other mistakes. :/

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, we have had basically no overtime on checkouts for the past fortnight. Been quite poor actually, morale has dropped a bit as it's becoming clear that we are short staffed on busy days and nothing seems to be getting done about it. We're not hiring any temps either. It's going to be madness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Interesting, we have had basically no overtime on checkouts for the past fortnight. Been quite poor actually, morale has dropped a bit as it's becoming clear that we are short staffed on busy days and nothing seems to be getting done about it. We're not hiring any temps either. It's going to be madness...

That's rubbish.

Morale is pretty low at my store too. We simply haven't got enough customers coming in and stock reductions/wastage are incredibly high as a result. They've cancelled all temp overtime and given some of them forced holidays. This past week, we've had around 5 tills open at any given time [plus the self-checkouts] and we still can end up sat around with nothing to do. On Saturday, it took 25 minutes before myself or my colleague in the pod served a customer [and that was from midday]! They are apparently talking about letting people go on the grocery sections, so the staff on there aren't too happy either.

It's a shame we can't have some of your customers, or you some of our staff, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    That's rubbish.

Morale is pretty low at my store too. We simply haven't got enough customers coming in and stock reductions/wastage are incredibly high as a result. They've cancelled all temp overtime and given some of them forced holidays. This past week, we've had around 5 tills open at any given time [plus the self-checkouts] and we still can end up sat around with nothing to do. On Saturday, it took 25 minutes before myself or my colleague in the pod served a customer [and that was from midday]! They are apparently talking about letting people go on the grocery sections, so the staff on there aren't too happy either.

It's a shame we can't have some of your customers, or you some of our staff, lol.
    You can have as many of our customers as you like, they are some of the most irritating people on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    That's rubbish.

Please take our customers! I'll pay postage We have too many and not enough staff and most of the customers are miserable sods!! Particularly when we're short staffed because of the snow!!

On another note, I'm working tomorrow 2-8, my shift is 2-6 with 2 hours overtime. Thing is, yesterday and today the buses here have been cancelled with effect from 7pm, which would leave me to walk 1 1/2 miles home in the dark in really icy conditions if it happens tomorrow night. Do you think if I explained this to them when I got in (and offered to make up the extra 2 hours on another shift, possibly Sunday) they'd let me go at 6? Really don't want to walk in the dark and have no money for a taxi
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    I'm a nights person anyway really, the +1.50 is a real bonus tbh and no customers is a heaven lol, unless it is a 24/7 shop? :-0

my sleeping patterns are already bad. e.g. go to sleep at 1/2am and wake up at 6 or 7am.

do they might still you ask to work extra days even if it wasn't in the job ad/contract?

I heard about the load of the work, my cousin worked in the night shift.
    I was too, definitely not now lol. I miss my weekends

They will probably ask you to work extra days if they're short. I try not to do too much though cos they they'll sign you up and expect you to agree to it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.