Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty142)

On another note, I'm working tomorrow 2-8, my shift is 2-6 with 2 hours overtime. Thing is, yesterday and today the buses here have been cancelled with effect from 7pm, which would leave me to walk 1 1/2 miles home in the dark in really icy conditions if it happens tomorrow night. Do you think if I explained this to them when I got in (and offered to make up the extra 2 hours on another shift, possibly Sunday) they'd let me go at 6? Really don't want to walk in the dark and have no money for a taxi
    A lassie that I worked with today fiished at 10 but the buses were off, so they gave her the option at leaving at 9 and make up the extra hour tomorrow. However a guy from GM kindly offered her a lift at half ten so she gets a half hour off tomorrow. They should be fine, just mention it too them when you go in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    A lassie that I worked with today fiished at 10 but the buses were off, so they gave her the option at leaving at 9 and make up the extra hour tomorrow. However a guy from GM kindly offered her a lift at half ten so she gets a half hour off tomorrow. They should be fine, just mention it too them when you go in.
    Thanks for the reply One of the bus companies was still running tonight, so hopefully that'll happen tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    how long have you been doing it for? you might get used to it if you haven't been doing it long!
    I have been working for nearly 3 months. But it wasnt painful at first? Its just recently. I probably will get used to it soon!

ReputationRep:
    Snow..

I'm not in work again till friday. Just wondering if your stores are experiencing epic levels of staff absence as colleagues cant travel to work, because of the 'hazardous' snow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmg83)
    Snow..

I'm not in work again till friday. Just wondering if your stores are experiencing epic levels of staff absence as colleagues cant travel to work, because of the 'hazardous' snow.
    Yes, me. That's because the snow levels are actually quite hazardous up here
    Had to call off a 12-8 as there was no chance of me getting in at all.
    My Sainsbury's is at least a half hour drive away in the dry, but took me over an hour and a half to get to work for a 6-10 last night.

I think we've had a few call offs, but the majority of our staff live fairly local so they should be able to get in regardless of the weather. We're a glorified local really. Not big enough to be a proper supermarket but not small enough to be a local and it hasn't been too busy so I doubt a few call offs will hurt us too much.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    most of our staff [night shift anyway] live in remote areas so i am thinking we'll be even more short staffed than usual. i live local and driving is really dangerous :/ they will expect you to come in anyway.

ps anyone know if we sell halo reach and if so how much for? cant find it on the website

ReputationRep:
    Last night when I was leaving at 12 there was still nightshift staff coming in.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't get into work last night because there was no way I could get out of my road and my store is about a two hour walk away. I don't mind but my shift finished at 11 and I really didn't fancy walking home in the snow at 1am. I offered to go to a nearer store but my manager sounded really pissed off

Woops Do I ring my manager to ask if they want me to come in and make up my hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    most of our staff [night shift anyway] live in remote areas so i am thinking we'll be even more short staffed than usual. i live local and driving is really dangerous :/ they will expect you to come in anyway.

ps anyone know if we sell halo reach and if so how much for? cant find it on the website
    http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10356329
    think its that price instore too, and should be still in the top 16 games chart. wait till friday to see if it goes down, you never know, £39.99 is the highest price they'll go for most games unless of course its cod.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10356329
    think its that price instore too, and should be still in the top 16 games chart. wait till friday to see if it goes down, you never know, £39.99 is the highest price they'll go for most games unless of course its cod.
    i think we got the new cod game for £32! i guess £34 is not bad.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Interesting, we have had basically no overtime on checkouts for the past fortnight. Been quite poor actually, morale has dropped a bit as it's becoming clear that we are short staffed on busy days and nothing seems to be getting done about it. We're not hiring any temps either. It's going to be madness...
    If they are over budget they'll stop overtime. They stopped us having overtime cos of the time & a half premium, they don't care we're understaffed :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmg83)
    Snow..

I think we have a fair amount of staff unable to get in, I was supposed to be doing a 2-8 tonight, but they let me leave at 6, just as well because my bus was cancelled again. Only live a mile and a half away, but letting me walk in the snow, in the dark, is basically just telling me to go to a&e.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just been given a job doing night shift at sainsburys. My dept is classed as "merchandise" which is a different dept to the one I applied for (think I applied for tea bags!) is this electrical stuff? I have my induction on Monday and Tuesday. I'm sure I will be back to ask more questions soon! but any tips on working the night shift would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Called in for 4-8 overtime tomorrow. Getting there and back will be fun...

ReputationRep:
    7.15 start tomorrow... Think I'll walk in!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, by the sounds of it I'll bet theres going to be a bit of a problem.. Which sucks because I can imagine it to be really busy, given were located on a major route. Ah well I'll start doing my stretches for epic checkout session.

ReputationRep:
    I started work at Salisbury's on the checkouts about 2 months ago, so im still on my probationary period.

We've got quite a lot of snow, all the buses are cancelled. Work is about 25 minutes away.

I dont know whether to go in or not...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm in a similar position, I was going to make a decent attempt at getting there (by walking!) and if I can't get in, I might just give them a call or something? As long as you try to get there, I don't know what else you can do.

ReputationRep:
    If I walked it would take me about 2 hours lol. 20-25 mins in the car if you go slightly faster than you're supposed to!

I rang them up and said I wont be able to make it, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

ReputationRep:
    ohh! for some reason I assumed you meant 20-25 walking! yeah, good call!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.