Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can I ask a question? How long is the induction programme supposed to be? Because, they told me it's on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week. But I'm not 100% sure whether they meant I just pick one day to go to, or that it's spread out on all three days. Plus, my tutor at college won't be very happy at me missing three days of college . Someone help me please, I just want to be more sure.

ReputationRep:
    To the guy above ^ phone up HR and ask. Mine was only one day but if you're applying for cashier it could be 3 days?

Question: I'm really ill/sick at the moment, feel really feverish, cough, cold, aches and pains and headache etc. I want to take the night off (yes I work night shifts) but I'm afraid if I do this will ruin my chance of staying on permanent after Christmas? What are sainsburys like with this? Surely they don't want me coughing and sneezing all over the place? But I'm prepared to go in if needed.

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Hi, can I ask a question? How long is the induction programme supposed to be? Because, they told me it's on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday next week. But I'm not 100% sure whether they meant I just pick one day to go to, or that it's spread out on all three days. Plus, my tutor at college won't be very happy at me missing three days of college . Someone help me please, I just want to be more sure.
    You'll have to be in all three days.

(Original post by ShiFty Kid)
    To the guy above ^ phone up HR and ask. Mine was only one day but if you're applying for cashier it could be 3 days?

Question: I'm really ill/sick at the moment, feel really feverish, cough, cold, aches and pains and headache etc. I want to take the night off (yes I work night shifts) but I'm afraid if I do this will ruin my chance of staying on permanent after Christmas? What are sainsburys like with this? Surely they don't want me coughing and sneezing all over the place? But I'm prepared to go in if needed.
    Obviously, go in if you can. If you're suffering at work you can always go home again (I think you'll find that the last thing your manager is interested in is you coughing all over the stuff you're putting out - Sainsburys is quite appalling in that regard). I wouldn't base any decisions on whether it could affect your chances of a permanent contract though. They don't keep as many on as people think.

Just out of interest, which store are you working at?

ReputationRep:

I'm applying for Customer Service Assistant. Yeah, I will probably ring up to check, just wanted some opinions from here first

(Original post by FXX)
    You'll have to be in all three days.
    Drats, really? Gosh, I feel so bad about missing college, the last three days as well . But they said if I don't do the induction at those times and dates, I probably can't get the job :sad:. Oh well, hopefully I can sort out something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Obviously, go in if you can. If you're suffering at work you can always go home again (I think you'll find that the last thing your manager is interested in is you coughing all over the stuff you're putting out - Sainsburys is quite appalling in that regard). I wouldn't base any decisions on whether it could affect your chances of a permanent contract though. They don't keep as many on as people think.

Just out of interest, which store are you working at?
    Hempstead Valley. Kent.

Hempstead Valley. Kent.
    You're like the fourth one in this thread going there as an xmas temp lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You're like the fourth one in this thread going there as an xmas temp lol.
    Lol really? Didntknow anyone from there posted on here too?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Customer Service Assistant. Yeah, I will probably ring up to check, just wanted some opinions from here first

Drats, really? Gosh, I feel so bad about missing college, the last three days as well . But they said if I don't do the induction at those times and dates, I probably can't get the job :sad:. Oh well, hopefully I can sort out something.
    I doubt they'd give you a choice of three days to go in on, they wouldn't have staggered three different inductions. If that were the case, I would imagine they would specifically tell you either Tuesday Wednesday Thursday

ReputationRep:
    What are the times for these three days? I can't imagine you will be in all day, each day. You might be able to go to college, in other words...

It is bad the way you are pressured to take the dates Sainsbury's want, with little regard to your commitments - especially as you discuss your commitments at interview.
    They tried to force me to take an induction that classed with a 3-hour seminar at university. I told them I couldn't do it. Thankfully, they called back and offered me a different induction. However, I guess there might not be so many going on now, due to how close it is to Christmas...

Hope you manage to get something sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    25th you mean? :tongue:
    i was talking about last pay day lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    I doubt they'd give you a choice of three days to go in on, they wouldn't have staggered three different inductions. If that were the case, I would imagine they would specifically tell you either Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
    I was just thinking back to what was said at the interview, and I also did some research online, and I think it is all the 3 days.

(Original post by affinity89)
    What are the times for these three days? I can't imagine you will be in all day, each day. You might be able to go to college, in other words...

It is bad the way you are pressured to take the dates Sainsbury's want, with little regard to your commitments - especially as you discuss your commitments at interview.
    They tried to force me to take an induction that classed with a 3-hour seminar at university. I told them I couldn't do it. Thankfully, they called back and offered me a different induction. However, I guess there might not be so many going on now, due to how close it is to Christmas...

Hope you manage to get something sorted.

I think the times are 9am to 1:30pm. It could take me about an hour to get to college from the store, so I could still catch the last 1 or 2 hours of classes. I feel like I'm in a bit of a dilemma here though . I emailed my tutor about the inductions, who doesn't seem to happy with the idea. She said my attendance would fall a bit too much, and that I'd have so much work to catch up on. She said I need to work out my priorities, and that we should talk further about it in college on Monday. Plus, it is only a temporary role, so I dunno, would it really be worth it? Contacting the store is pretty terrible as well, they either don't pick up, or take forever too :mad:.

I've also been invited to book an interview with Harrods for a Christmas temp job. Only, they haven't had any slots for me to book so far yet, so I'm really not sure if and when I'll ever get an interview from them . I dunno, I feel kinda stuck . Let's hope I do get something sorted, fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview this week for a trainee department manager. Never had a formal interview before so a bit nervous. Anyone have any hints as to what they may be looking for?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by redstar88)
    I have an interview this week for a trainee department manager. Never had a formal interview before so a bit nervous. Anyone have any hints as to what they may be looking for?
    someone who has the confidence to run things according to the store, ie always put the company first before anything else

thats what i get from my dept managers anyway :awesome:

we're kinda mad that someone who called in sick and was really poorly actually was fetched and brought to work. i'm sorry but if someone calls in ill they're fully entitled to! don't go and bloody get them, they'll make everyone else ill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    someone who has the confidence to run things according to the store, ie always put the company first before anything else

thats what i get from my dept managers anyway :awesome:

we're kinda mad that someone who called in sick and was really poorly actually was fetched and brought to work. i'm sorry but if someone calls in ill they're fully entitled to! don't go and bloody get them, they'll make everyone else ill
    Hmm I might be too nice for the job then lol. Would never force someone who is ill to work. It's for the bakery department so wouldn't want someone who is ill working anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redstar88)
    Hi, ive just recieved a confirmed offer on the retail graduate scheme so I may be able to help.

They will be looking for you to demonstrate some sound commercial and retailing knowledge, e.g. who are our competitors? What do they do well? What area of the market (not neccesarily food retailing) do they focus on?

They will be looking to see if you a) have a managerial style b) If you do, is it good? and c) do you have the potential to become a great manager.

You will also need to demonstrate the 'Leadership Behaviours', if you are already a Sains colleague then you can access them on connect, if you are not a Sainsbury's colleague then call your local stores HR department and explain that you are a prospective trainee manager and could you have some more info on the behaviours.

Also, they will look for someone who knows what the company is all about too.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on Thursday for a PT position in new local store (I know with my Degree should be aiming higher but with the economy the way it is right now anything would be good)

Firstly anything I should be aware of beforehand - It is just the normal kind of interview stuff right (Describe a time you have done xxx, What 'Key Competencies' do you have?)

Secondly if successful is it possible to occasionally 'swap' shifts around. I do stress though not on a regular basis but for 'special' events so once every couple of months.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Smidster)
    I have an interview on Thursday for a PT position in new local store (I know with my Degree should be aiming higher but with the economy the way it is right now anything would be good)

Firstly anything I should be aware of beforehand - It is just the normal kind of interview stuff right (Describe a time you have done xxx, What 'Key Competencies' do you have?)

Secondly if successful is it possible to occasionally 'swap' shifts around. I do stress though not on a regular basis but for 'special' events so once every couple of months.
    it's simple enough, you have a dvd test as well, similar to the questionnaire online

it is probs easy enough to swap shifts if you give enough notice

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, another quick question. My induction starts tomorrow - anything important I need to wear dress code wise? Or does it not matter very much since I've already pretty much got the job?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, another quick question. My induction starts tomorrow - anything important I need to wear dress code wise? Or does it not matter very much since I've already pretty much got the job?
    They say smart casual. In my induction people were in 'smart trousers', fitted tops/shirts and the blokes wore ties.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.