Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink_Chocolate xx)
    Oh yay, first shift back today. Apparantly it was horrendous on clothing yesterday, only one person on & the sale had started.. Oh I can't wait >.<
    It's all a bit mad at the moment, today was the worst day. I think it'll just get worse at the end of the week!
    I came home with a headache today nightshift had the right hump & a lorry didn't deliver last night so the shelves seemed empty, I work in online & the excess subbing was time consuming! Glad to be home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    It's rant time.

Yesterday I was on the Kiosk for 20 minutes covering somebody on their break. Now I don't really like the Kiosk to be perfectly honest. We're stuck at the front door so it's constantly freezing and I hate getting given a £20 note for something that costs 50p.

Anyway, a woman came up to me and asked for 20 of our cheapest cigarettes. I managed to eventually find them then she asked for a paper and lottery and gave me a handful of small change that I had to count up which took ages.
    While doing so and not actually making the first sale she starts rhyming off what she wants next so I assume she's wanting it all paid in one.
    (NB: For those who don't work in Kiosk, it's fairly common for people to list off what they want one by one and pay for it all at the end)

She then says shes wanting 10 of the cheapest and pays that with a £20, telling me she wants that paid seperately. At this point I am nearly going crackers. I put the first sale through and give her the 10 cheapest ones. She gives me the £20 note and as I am putting it in the till she says: "Oh do you not have the big ones?" I lose the plot. I was told by a fellow colleague she is a problem customer who always does this sort of thing.

I absolutely hate awkward customers like that. Another one was somebody who asked for 4 lucky dips for Saturday - no problem. I give her the ticket then she says "Oh I want them on seperate tickets" Why don't you tell me that in the first place how am I meant to know?

We have an older customer who buys everything for like 23p and then totals it up in her head before she gets to the till and when it's even just 7p more than she expects it to be she complains and takes everything out at an empty till and adds it all up again, then goes to the CSD and complains. I've had her come through my till once when I just started and didn't know about her antics. She said so and so should be 27p instead of 32p and I just said no it isn't however you can go to the CSD to take the matter futher.

Then you get the most lovely and friendly customers you will ever meet. Ones who wish you a Merry Christmas and are genuinely grateful for you helping pack their stuff. Sadly it's the annoying ones that you remember in this job.

Working over 30 hours this week yet again. With a bad cold I'm not really too keen but I need the money in order to run my car. I'm refusing to work xmas eve/boxing day as there's simply no incentive. If it was time and a half then aye but what's the point in working arguably the busiest days of the year for the same rate of pay we're currently getting? Makes no sense to me.

Rant over.
    Christmas eve is EVIL. I'm contracted to work on Fridays, but I managed to get out of it by doing an overnight shift of 10pm (23rd Dec) to 7am (Christmas eve). Last year it took me 30 minutes to walk from GM to BWS (Which are on opposite sides of the store), a walk that would normally take about 5 minutes

(Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Happy xmas Sainsburys friends! I have finished today until monday now yay!
    Just one question. How long do you have to work there to get sick pay please?
    x
    2 years

ReputationRep:
    Christmas songs

ReputationRep:
    As a customer assistant at Tesco, earning over £2 more an hour than my friend who works checkouts at Sainsbury's, I would say that Tesco is a better employer.

(Original post by Mocktheweak)
    Christmas songs
    Yep... just had my final shift before Christmas. Thank god the songs are over with for another year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yep... just had my final shift before Christmas. Thank god the songs are over with for another year!
    Jealous! My final shift before Christmas isn't until tomorrow night.

ReputationRep:
    Really not looking forward to working Christmas Eve! 10am-8pm shift, our store's been horrendously busy for the past week and a half so don't even want to imagine what it's going to be like. It's been hard to put anything out on the shelves due to the sheer amount of customers and lack of space to move. Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I'm working 8 hours on thursday and x-mas eve. Fml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Stupid question... but how do i apply at Sainsburys? Is it just a case of taking a CV instore? Or will i need any more materials.

Cheers.
    It depends. Most of the recruiting is done online through the Sainsbury's website but they also advertise through the job-centre so keep an eye out on both websites.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i finish 7am on christmas eve. and then shift are going to the pub :cool: lol

ReputationRep:
    Season's Greetings to all in the Sainsburys thread. I hope all of you get at least some rest after the crazyness of the next few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i finish 7am on christmas eve. and then shift are going to the pub :cool: lol
    Keep on being a legend, inksplodge.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by morris743)
    Keep on being a legend, inksplodge.
    :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    :tongue:
    It's true.

ReputationRep:
    Merry christmas everyone last shift before the big day tomorrow - split 8 hours (9-1 and 7-11)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broadwayrachael)
    Merry christmas everyone last shift before the big day tomorrow - split 8 hours (9-1 and 7-11)
    Does that feel better than one long shift? I'm guessing you live near the store?

ReputationRep:
    As I said before my store is shut on boxing day although i'm on checkouts...
    You all gave responses that I might have to go in and stack selves although I never got a chance to ask due to the now and HR not being in on that day .

Do you think I should just not go in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)
    As I said before my store is shut on boxing day although i'm on checkouts...
    You all gave responses that I might have to go in and stack selves although I never got a chance to ask due to the now and HR not being in on that day .

Do you think I should just not go in?
    Ring your manager up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Does that feel better than one long shift? I'm guessing you live near the store?
    About 10 mins if someone takes me, half an hour on my own - curse my fear of the motorway!!!
    I've never done a split before, but I imagine it'll be better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.