Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me that they're planning on getting rid of the quantity button on the till, anyone else hear about this? So what, if a customer comes with thirty little packets of cat food, we have to scan each one separately? I know they want us to have a high IPM, but come on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Someone told me that they're planning on getting rid of the quantity button on the till, anyone else hear about this? So what, if a customer comes with thirty little packets of cat food, we have to scan each one separately? I know they want us to have a high IPM, but come on!
    Removing the quantity button!?! That's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It is happening. I don't know why though.... they seem to think these bioptic scanners seem to override the need for a quantity button. Quantity's can still be done, but with supervisor intervention only

(Original post by Schumacher)
    Need help here folks about my 'rights at work'.

Our Christmas overtime sheets were up well in advance so several weeks ago I had agreed to do the shifts on the sheet. I've agreed to stay an extra hour or to or do an extra shift if we're short on numbers and have generally did a lot of favours for Sainsbury's.

However, tonight I went to clarify what shifts I was doing this week and see if there were any more but to my annoyance I found out that they've changed my Thursday 4-10 to 4-8 and Friday (New Year's Eve) 2-6 to 2-7 without telling me. I have not agreed to these hours and they have did this behind my back, what can I do about this?

If they had simply asked me then I would have changed the shifts no problem at all but it's the fact that they have changed them without my consent that has annoyed me and I am not having it
    Does your store sign the sheets?

At one of the stores I worked at, a manager proposed it, purely to stop this happening. For non-contractual shifts, when the rota went up, you had to sign and date next to your shifts to say we were fine with them. It stopped department managers changing people's hours at last minute.

If this isn't the case with your store, just refuse to do them. Is it obvious they've been changed, as in changed with a pen? or a brand new DAS printout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    It is happening. I don't know why though.... they seem to think these bioptic scanners seem to override the need for a quantity button. Quantity's can still be done, but with supervisor intervention only
    Not criticising you but rather the policy.

Getting your supervisor over is hard enough as it is. I have been stuck waiting for them for 5 minutes or so with a queue of customers before now - a few of them seem to ignore the till button thing, even when you press it a few times. I think it would probably be quicker to scan everything through 1 by 1 than get the supervisor over. It is a shame that they are taking the quantity function away though; some of the shoppers we have buy 5/6 of everything so it really speeds it all up...

By the way, what are 'bioptic scanners'? *having a stupid moment*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak)
    Do we get paid paid this Friday? A colleague mentioned last year it was paid earlier at new year.
    Yes! Pretty sweet

I'm working new years eve though, so will be stuck in Sainsbury's at midnight, so i won't spend it getting pissed then :|
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    some people get paid tomorrow apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Not criticising you but rather the policy.

Getting your supervisor over is hard enough as it is. I have been stuck waiting for them for 5 minutes or so with a queue of customers before now - a few of them seem to ignore the till button thing, even when you press it a few times. I think it would probably be quicker to scan everything through 1 by 1 than get the supervisor over. It is a shame that they are taking the quantity function away though; some of the shoppers we have buy 5/6 of everything so it really speeds it all up...

By the way, what are 'bioptic scanners'? *having a stupid moment*
    Fully agree with you there. I am a supervisor, and yes it does take time to get to the tills sometimes as it is, but with people needing us for QTY's as well, it's going to be even worse. I have no idea why they are doing it. The only problem i can think of as to why, is the fact that some people quantity items, and then as they pass the rest over, it scans again... other than that, it's going to be really silly.

And bioptic scanners are the ones with a scanner in the scale and upright, which most, if not all stores have now, as opposed to the little white box ones.

And... new year... pay etc... My store reckons pay will be Friday, as they haven't heard any differently, but if it comes a day early, its a bonus! I have to work NYE & NYD ... won't stop me having fun in the middle lol

ReputationRep:
    Fully agree with you there. I am a supervisor, and yes it does take time to get to the tills sometimes as it is, but with people needing us for QTY's as well, it's going to be even worse. I have no idea why they are doing it. The only problem i can think of as to why, is the fact that some people quantity items, and then as they pass the rest over, it scans again... other than that, it's going to be really silly.

And bioptic scanners are the ones with a scanner in the scale and upright, which most, if not all stores have now, as opposed to the little white box ones.

And... new year... pay etc... My store reckons pay will be Friday, as they haven't heard any differently, but if it comes a day early, its a bonus! I have to work NYE & NYD ... won't stop me having fun in the middle lol
    Does anyone know who said that about quantity items cos thats the first Ive heard about it and quantity item improves IPM so I dont understand the reasoning behind scrapping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    Does anyone know who said that about quantity items cos thats the first Ive heard about it and quantity item improves IPM so I dont understand the reasoning behind scrapping it.
    My store trainer told me when we were doing my Think 25 a couple of weeks ago. I think they reckon it's quicker to scan each item rather than to stop to count how many there are and then take time passing them across while trying not to scan them. Just a guess, though.

ReputationRep:
    i dont work on the checkouts but i know how you'd feel without the quantity button. it is like them removing the 'add to' feature on the rascal process. they somehow thought scanning every paper individually would be quicker and far more accurate. thanks but i dont fancy scanning 100-200 papers everyday, considering it takes ages to beep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    My store trainer told me when we were doing my Think 25 a couple of weeks ago. I think they reckon it's quicker to scan each item rather than to stop to count how many there are and then take time passing them across while trying not to scan them. Just a guess, though.
    Wierd, I know a few other things are being investigated regarding checkout operation but I didnt know that was ever under dispute.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a Christmas temp (GA 20 hours per week) and my last shift is Friday when my contract ends. Will I be told then if im getting kept on or will I get a letter or something? Sorry if this has been asked before it's just my manager has been off for a while so haven't been able to ask him.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by backchatIII)
    Hi, I'm a Christmas temp (GA 20 hours per week) and my last shift is Friday when my contract ends. Will I be told then if im getting kept on or will I get a letter or something? Sorry if this has been asked before it's just my manager has been off for a while so haven't been able to ask him.

Thanks for any help
    You should be told by your manager, due to it being their decision. Though we got rid of all but 2 of the christmas temps (on nightshift) last year, but ended up hiring one of the xmas temps again in the summer. So talk to your manager, and if you made an impression but don't get kept on they might give you a call back in the future when they are looking for new staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    Its part of the new repos upgrade, theres a big pack about the changes on connect (think its 3.10). Some changes make sense though, like the nectar redemption is changing so people can redeem any amount, so instead of £2.50, they can redeem £1.74 or £20.46 etc... Also, gift cards will be working on self scan in the upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    i had my interview 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything :mad: .

should i bother giving them a call? do i phone the store i applied to.. or the number i used to arrange the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Its part of the new repos upgrade, theres a big pack about the changes on connect (think its 3.10). Some changes make sense though, like the nectar redemption is changing so people can redeem any amount, so instead of £2.50, they can redeem £1.74 or £20.46 etc... Also, gift cards will be working on self scan in the upgrade.
    What's the situation with those gift cards atm? When someone buys one do they get swiped through the till or something to activate them? I just ask because there's a plinth full of them and often thought they are a prime target for thieves but if they have to be put through a till to use them then that's alright.

Anyway, quick question, who do I go to about changing my contract? I'm only contracted to do two nights atm but have been doing 30-40 every week pretty much since I've been here since October in overtime. I wouldn't mind getting an extra night if possible. Is it just a case of asking my team leader? Thanks to anyone who can help.

(Original post by drakesdrum)
    Anyway, quick question, who do I go to about changing my contract? I'm only contracted to do two nights atm but have been doing 30-40 every week pretty much since I've been here since October in overtime. I wouldn't mind getting an extra night if possible. Is it just a case of asking my team leader? Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Yeah, just ask your manager. Even if they say no now, at least then they'll know you're interested if extra hours come up in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drakesdrum)
    What's the situation with those gift cards atm? When someone buys one do they get swiped through the till or something to activate them? I just ask because there's a plinth full of them and often thought they are a prime target for thieves but if they have to be put through a till to use them then that's alright.

yeah aint active until put thru the till

ReputationRep:
    You can now link your discount card with the Sainsbury's Entertainment site, just did it and it works right away.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.