Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    What happened to your PC World job, if you don't mind me asking?

Could you not set aside just a day to really knuckle down and apply to every company in the land worth working for?

You are mad lol. As for transferring, I guess it depends how well you get on with the top brass. That's another thing I hated about working for them - professionals to the end when it comes to things the staff may do wrong, but lots of favouritism when it suits.
    Oh great... That might not be happening then lol. Having summer free for having fun would be good though - it would just have to be inexpensive fun.

I worked their during college, so it is back at home [like 60 miles from here]. I loved the rest of the staff and am actually still in touch with quite a few of them. They've all left the store too now though. Shops in that locality have quite a high staff turnover...

I think one of the main benefits to that place was that the store had about 40 members of staff and all the workers in on a given day would be in a briefing in the morning and stuff, so you really got to know each other. I totally understand why that wouldn't work at Sainsbury's, especially when our store is open from 7.30am until 11pm, but it means you don't know as many people around the store... You can see that in the canteen - at PC World, there was one huge table so everyone sat together, whereas here I often go in and there are lots of people just sat by themselves, playing on mobiles etc.

Oh well, I am going to forget about the place for tonight. I've even turned off my mobile in case they ring, yet again lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Oh great... That might not be happening then lol. Having summer free for having fun would be good though - it would just have to be inexpensive fun.

I worked their during college, so it is back at home [like 60 miles from here]. I loved the rest of the staff and am actually still in touch with quite a few of them. They've all left the store too now though. Shops in that locality have quite a high staff turnover...

I think one of the main benefits to that place was that the store had about 40 members of staff and all the workers in on a given day would be in a briefing in the morning and stuff, so you really got to know each other. I totally understand why that wouldn't work at Sainsbury's, especially when our store is open from 7.30am until 11pm, but it means you don't know as many people around the store... You can see that in the canteen - at PC World, there was one huge table so everyone sat together, whereas here I often go in and there are lots of people just sat by themselves, playing on mobiles etc.

Oh well, I am going to forget about the place for tonight. I've even turned off my mobile in case they ring, yet again lol.
    Any fun is always good And in terms of a transfer, all you can do is ask asap It should be ok.

Hmm no similiar kind of stores where you are now? You have the experience...

Yeh. I can imagine there was a team spirit there where you got together to see what needed to be done and went forward together. Sainsbury's, and others like it, are very "get on with it...it's a job" lol

Aww good You sound like you need a break. Who wouldn't?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i'm in tonight and er, have possibly quite a bad scenario on my hands. but hopefully it will work out ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i'm in tonight and er, have possibly quite a bad scenario on my hands. but hopefully it will work out ok.
    Tell all:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm honestly surprised at the stance my store took on me being ill. I work on Online, meaning I have to spend the day walking round the entire store, so could have spread whatever I have to so many places. Especially since I am mainly stuck on Chilled or Frozen, the exact kind of conditions where some viruses, such as flu, thrive. In addition, I and the department are monitored on how fast we go individually and as a group. I know for a fact that today I completely missed those targets, and hence pulled down all the others.

Many colleagues commented how I didn't look right, how I was pale etc. There were numerous signs that I was not at all well and not fit for work - paleness, bloodshot eyes, sweats despite standing by the chillers in only one layer, coughing etc., but the management just seemed to completely ignore them.

I just found my colleague handbook out, and it states that in the event that I feel unwell that I should talk to the manager, especially if you have certain symptoms. Fat lot of good that did.

You have to put your foot down... If you are ill, don't ask your manager if you can go, tell them you're feeling bad and have to go. Managers at Sainsburys will happily walk over anyone who lets them, but they can't do **** when they get someone who stands their ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    You have to put your foot down... If you are ill, don't ask your manager if you can go, tell them you're feeling bad and have to go. Managers at Sainsburys will happily walk over anyone who lets them, but they can't do **** when they get someone who stands their ground.
    Great advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    hate working there already and ive only worked my first day.
    did anyone else feel like that on their first day? and does it get btter?
    i was exactly the same, and in my experience it did get better. It took a while to to be 100% confident with everything and find out where everything is so once I had that sorted I was a lot more comfortable, also once you've made friends its is a million times better!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my god i can't wait to have my holiday lol.

ReputationRep:
    my god i can't wait to have my holiday lol.
    When when?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    When when?
    next week, not going anywhere but itll be nice to have a week off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie89)
    Just called. Talked to the manager who wouldn't let me go earlier, and he said I'd have to phone up in the morning. Which is slightly ridiculous really
    Good luck. I had to phone in sick once when my shift started at 7am, I started phoning at 4am and finally got through a 6:45am. :rolleyes: I didn't get told off as it wasn't my fault no one was manning the phones! I was panicking though

ReputationRep:
    next week, not going anywhere but itll be nice to have a week off
    Aw Appreciate every single second out of that madhouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclerachel)
    Good luck. I had to phone in sick once when my shift started at 7am, I started phoning at 4am and finally got through a 6:45am. :rolleyes: I didn't get told off as it wasn't my fault no one was manning the phones! I was panicking though
    I'd love to know if anything happens to people like in this situation where they are not doing their jobs properly i.e. being available for people phoning in.

There was a girl in my store who for pretty much over half the day would stand around talking to the team leaders and managers:rolleyes: If you're prepared to cosy up to management, some stores are easy, easy money. I'd rather work than coverse with some of those morons though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    the problem is the night shift are in at that time of morning and if theyre anytihng like my shift they will be running around until about 5 to 7. not enough time to answer phones or open doors :P

ReputationRep:
    the problem is the night shift are in at that time of morning and if theyre anytihng like my shift they will be running around until about 5 to 7. not enough time to answer phones or open doors :P
    The night shift where I am are usually running around after the store opens to clear everything away.

Which leads me to another point. We're told to only have chilled stuff out for 30 minutes. Yet the night shift seem to ignore this.

And I just worry that the night shift manager will not actually tell the department I phoned in until 2 hours later.

ReputationRep:
    And where is the manager? Sainsbury's make billions, could do better.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to know if anything happens to people like in this situation where they are not doing their jobs properly i.e. being available for people phoning in.

There was a girl in my store who for pretty much over half the day would stand around talking to the team leaders and managers:rolleyes: If you're prepared to cosy up to management, some stores are easy, easy money. I'd rather work than coverse with some of those morons though.
    [Yes, I ended up back on this thread... I am putting of my dissertation lol.]

There are quite a few people at my store who do that. One in particular is very grumpy and moans about everything.

It is definitely nice to have time off - I took three shifts off recently and it was bliss lol. I hope you enjoy it inksplodge.

ReputationRep:
    DISSERTATION. NOW.

Ahem..

Harsh but fair, yep. There is a lot to moan about with Sainsbury's but the moaning that people like that seem to do is moaning for moaning's sake lol like they have nothing else to talk about?

I agree

(Original post by affinity89)
    [Yes, I ended up back on this thread... I am putting of my dissertation lol.]

There are quite a few people at my store who do that. One girl in particular - she is only 17, very grumpy and moans about everything. Some of the supervisors have given up trying to get her to work - she took 10 minutes a few weeks back to put a bottle of wine back, when the aisle with the wine on it was about 5 steps away from where she was standing originally. It is frustrating to see her doing nothing when the rest of us are working hard... I just hope she was one of the temps they let go [harsh, but fair I feel]!

It is definitely nice to have time off - I took three shifts off recently and it was bliss lol. I hope you enjoy it inksplodge.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.