Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So from the extra pay date (31st Dec) it will be next week?

Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips on how to make time go quicker (not literally of course) when you're on checkouts?

I do 4 hour shifts, so no break. It really drags 90% of the time.

I find covering the time on the till with a bit of paper helps a bit, otherwise im looking at it all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare7)
    Anyone got any tips on how to make time go quicker (not literally of course) when you're on checkouts?

I find covering the time on the till with a bit of paper helps a bit, otherwise im looking at it all the time
    I used to put one of those Evian sticker on the small conveyor belt and count how many times it went round. I got to about 2500. I lost count because the customer had 233245674565345434444 Nectar points and they wanted me to work out how much it was worth (It wasnt actually 45345345345345345 but it was alot and took me a few minutes t work it out).

For me, covering up the clock with paper slows down time.

You could also try working out your IPM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    I used to put one of those Evian sticker on the small conveyor belt and count how many times it went round. I got to about 2500. I lost count because the customer had 233245674565345434444 Nectar points and they wanted me to work out how much it was worth (It wasnt actually 45345345345345345 but it was alot and took me a few minutes t work it out).

Divide by two and put a decimal point two digits from the left

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

If I wanna change the days I work do I just fill in a change of hours sheet thing and give it to HR or do I have to go through my department team leader? I want to change so I do my 3 days in a row and then have 4 days off instead of doing tuesday, wednesday, 2 days off and then saturday. Is it also true that if you work on online you have to work either saturday or sunday? Someone told me this but I'm not sure if it's true?

Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kedix)
    Hey guys,

If I wanna change the days I work do I just fill in a change of hours sheet thing and give it to HR or do I have to go through my department team leader? I want to change so I do my 3 days in a row and then have 4 days off instead of doing tuesday, wednesday, 2 days off and then saturday. Is it also true that if you work on online you have to work either saturday or sunday? Someone told me this but I'm not sure if it's true?

Thanks
    Write a letter explaining WHY you need to change your hours. Then give it to your dept manager who should pass it on to hr. That's how I did it.

ReputationRep:
    I just told my department manager that my uni hours were changing and I couldn't work Wednesdays any more. He now rotas in that 6 hours wherever he needs it most (usually Sundays so I now work Fri, Sat, Sun AND get an extra 2 hours pay a week), problem solved. My contract hasn't changed though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare7)

I have the same problem although I do two six hour shifts and one four hour. The only time, time doesn't drag is on my break which seems to pass at breakneck speed.

Maybe I'll try to sticker thing or working out IPM.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i work 10 hour shifts, they drag so so so much. wish i could do shorter ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    i work 10 hour shifts, they drag so so so much. wish i could do shorter ones
    That can't be right. Surely it should be easy to switch to less? 10 hours is not on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    That can't be right. Surely it should be easy to switch to less? 10 hours is not on.
    Im guessing its a night shift, 10 hour shifts are standard.

ReputationRep:
    I find the 10 hours go quite quickly if I keep a good pace in what I'm doing up. As soon as lift my foot off the pedal a bit and start lumbering around a bit the night drags like anything so I prefer to just go like the clappers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)

Haha I do that
    Sometimes I try and guess how much someone's shopping is going to come to as well. Checkouts is so boring!

Time flies on online... 4 hour shifts feel like an hour sometimes, you only really feel it after 8 hours when your legs start aching a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    Im guessing its a night shift, 10 hour shifts are standard.

ReputationRep:
    What's it like on counters? What does the job entail? I've been moved from checkouts to counters and start my training on monday!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    yep, 10 hr night shifts! id mcuh rather do say, 8

ReputationRep:
    I do 10 hour day shift is that not normal? I usually do 12-10's or 10-8's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Haha I do that
    Sometimes I try and guess how much someone's shopping is going to come to as well. Checkouts is so boring!
    it might be boring but would you rather be lifting heavy stock all day getting on your knees replenishing, breaking massive boxes of cardboard?

I used to think the same, never wanted to do checkouts but after tasting both, on checkouts atleast you're talking to people all the time. It does drag but hey, you're sitting down and scanning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tubbsy)
    What's it like on counters? What does the job entail? I've been moved from checkouts to counters and start my training on monday!!
    depends on which counter? food to go is probably the most easy going as you're just serving customers by packing their food and labelling the price, along with keeping the display tidy obviously

meat & fish is freezing and involves oven cleaning.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.