Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle_y)
    To all the general assistants out there, don't you just hate those fancy boxes everything seems to come in these days. I'm longing for the days where everything came in the simple standard box which you knew how to open, rip apart and get things out of.

Now everything seems to come in these fancy boxes with printed instructions on the side of how to open it you must lift flap #1 and #2 then pull #3 and tear at #4. :rolleyes: And if in a moment of panic, distress and impatientness you just attempt to tear the box apart you end up just fighting with a sturdy piece of cardboard that is resisting your force and disobeying your instructions.

Today I ended up fighting with a box of Philadelphia Light and ended up with low-fat cream cheese all over my left trouser leg. :o:
    Oh good god I couldn't agree more! I hate shelf ready packaging with a bloody passion. That stuff is evil, pure evil I tell you. Designed purely to piss off the poor sods who have to put it out!

Seriously after 3 nightshifts of SRP's if I haven't worn gloves my hands and arms are ripped to shreds and it feels like I've just sandpapered my fingers!

Ah well only a week left anyways...

(Original post by BSJ)
    thanks, and nawww year 12 going 13, :woo:

I've just been living in this thread for a whole year whilst working at sainsburys.

I'm guessing your in Uni?:confused:
    LOL! We're in the same boat. I'll be going in to Y13 too :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    If you don't mind me asking - how were you able to get a desk job when you were in Year 12 and how many hours were you working in it for?

(Original post by Longorefisher)
    If you don't mind me asking - how were you able to get a desk job when you were in Year 12 and how many hours were you working in it for?
    I took a year out (did AS, then missed a year, then returning 09-10 to do A2), which meant I worked full-time from Nov onwards.

I didn't work on the desk (CSD), our store had a vacancy for Team Leader, I applied and got it. I didn't however spend a lot of time on the 'front line', I spent most of my time doing the admin side of things (and there is loads of it).

ReputationRep:
    If we were in prison, I'd protect you in the shower. :elmo:
    LOLOL

you still going to continue at sainsburys whilst in year 13?

ReputationRep:
    One thing i regret was staying on at sainsburys trhoughout yr12-13. Finally, im leaving! I just hope my last day isnt on tills though, half the superivsors there dont know that im leaving so they might put me on there for my last shift which i understand that we are not allowed to handle cash on that day.

@WhereIsMyMind, did they give you an exit interview when you left?

(Original post by BSJ)
    If we were in prison, I'd protect you in the shower. :elmo:
    LOLOL

you still going to continue at sainsburys whilst in year 13?
    LOL! Thanks

I have left Sainsbury's already. I'm working (or due to start) at Orange. It's only the weekends, so I should be OK!

(Original post by tokyorose888)
    One thing i regret was staying on at sainsburys trhoughout yr12-13. Finally, im leaving! I just hope my last day isnt on tills though, half the superivsors there dont know that im leaving so they might put me on there for my last shift which i understand that we are not allowed to handle cash on that day.

@WhereIsMyMind, did they give you an exit interview when you left?
    I didn't have an exit interview. I was supposed to be having one (because I was down in the diary), but because I think my manager knew it was nothing 'personal', and that I had been planning to leave for a while - I didn't have one.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Thanks

I have left Sainsbury's already. I'm working (or due to start) at Orange. It's only the weekends, so I should be OK!
    Jumping Ship for Orange. Let me guess, they are better in every respect to Sainsburys?

Jumping Ship for Orange. Let me guess, they are better in every respect to Sainsburys?
    I'm not quite sure yet :p:. I know that their uniform is a lot nicer , plus their training seems a lot more 'in-depth' (you have to attend the 'Centre of Excellence' training course :eek:).

I'll be honest, apart from niggles with management and how things were 'done', Sainsbury's isn't a bad place to work; if you like coming in, doing your shift and leaving.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure yet :p:. I know that their uniform is a lot nicer , plus their training seems a lot more 'in-depth' (you have to attend the 'Centre of Excellence' training course :eek:).

I'll be honest, apart from niggles with management and how things were 'done', Sainsbury's isn't a bad place to work; if you like coming in, doing your shift and leaving.
    Hmmm..Don't know whether that describes me or not (I like doing my shift but also getting involved slightly). What's Sainsbury's like for pay rises and giving additional responsibilities - especially if you are under 18 like myself?

Hmmm..Don't know whether that describes me or not (I like doing my shift but also getting involved slightly). What's Sainsbury's like for pay rises and giving additional responsibilities - especially if you are under 18 like myself?
    I'm not too sure about pay rises. But I know there is an annual pay rise (due around Sept?).

As for additional responsibilities, it depends on if you're prepared to put yourself forward and get acknowledged. If you want to move up the ranks, then you'll have to show you're willing, committed and able. In most cases, those that get moved around, and/or trained on additional departments (like desk training etc) have shown an interest at some point (unless you're one of those lucky quiet ones..)

ReputationRep:
    The annual pay review was completed a week or so ago. There's a general pay rise for standard band 2 employees of, I think, 2.5%. Night shift premium increase of 3%, some larger team leader pay increases. They come into effect from week 1 period 7, which is in 3 weeks time.

(Original post by Jamie.)
    Oh good god I couldn't agree more! I hate shelf ready packaging with a bloody passion. That stuff is evil, pure evil I tell you. Designed purely to piss off the poor sods who have to put it out!

Seriously after 3 nightshifts of SRP's if I haven't worn gloves my hands and arms are ripped to shreds and it feels like I've just sandpapered my fingers!

Ah well only a week left anyways...
    I went the whole of last summer without any gloves, and that was a really stupid mistake >_>

On the whole SRP is probably quite good though. Frankly, it takes a lot longer and a lot more effort to put out, say, 40 packets of biscuits on the shelf rather than spent about 1 second opening the SRP and throwing the case onto the shelf ^^.

ReputationRep:
    So, I finally found my payslip today. Shocked to find that I think they overpaid me by two hours!
    What they did, I think, is forget to short time my holiday time that I had two weeks ago, whilst also forgetting to pay me for a day or so's work which was done as overtime but before I had my clockin number. If I query it, is there any chance that I can be paid for the day they forgot to pay me for, without them realising that they overpaid me for another week? :p:

Actually, I'm not certain that they did forget to shortime me: can someone confirm the range of dates that the last pay packet covered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Actually, I'm not certain that they did forget to shortime me: can someone confirm the range of dates that the last pay packet covered?
    12th July - 8th August

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if the mystery customer goes to a number of different tills when they come in? For example, they go to an ordinary checkout and then also the cigarette and lottery kiosk? I was talking to someone about the mystery customer thing today in work and he said he was told recently that he got 100% on checkouts with the mystery customer as well and I was thinking it was only last week I was told I got 100% and they don't do them that close together surely. Must have been the same one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    12th July - 8th August
    Inclusive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Inclusive?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Anyone know if the mystery customer goes to a number of different tills when they come in? For example, they go to an ordinary checkout and then also the cigarette and lottery kiosk? I was talking to someone about the mystery customer thing today in work and he said he was told recently that he got 100% on checkouts with the mystery customer as well and I was thinking it was only last week I was told I got 100% and they don't do them that close together surely. Must have been the same one?
    It may have been a hot topic in the Kiosk that got one of the MCMs and then the other on normal checkouts.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Thanks

Can I ask why you left the company, couldnt you have just changed your hours, cos I guess when you were in HR you were earning competant band 3?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.