Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice everyone.

I have worked at Sainsbury's on the checkouts for the last 4 months on thursday, friday and saturday. I am about to start an Open University course and I need to do work at the library and complete tutorials/residential school on saturdays as I don't drive and need my dad to give me a lift around.

Is there any chance that my local store would allow me to move my 4.5 hours on a saturday to another day during the week and who should I speak to about changing these hours; HR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyCorpse)
    Oh! Super!
    I thought they just make you watch more DVDs and do some paperwork during inductions >.<
    Oh and one more thing, when she asks you to come in for an induction does it mean that she did a reference check already? Cause I was called 2 hours after the interview asking to come in for the induction next week
    Your actual induction is training/form filling etc.
    There is a probationary period thing though, which runs for your first three months of employment. It is during this time that you should have 4-weekly meetings [although, as I mentioned, I've never had one and I only know one person taken on when I was who has].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Your actual induction is training/form filling etc.
    There is a probationary period thing though, which runs for your first three months of employment. It is during this time that you should have 4-weekly meetings [although, as I mentioned, I've never had one and I only know one person taken on when I was who has].
    Ah thanks!
    What kind of breaks do we get? Are lunch breaks paid breaks?;o

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks!
    What kind of breaks do we get? Are lunch breaks paid breaks?;o
    It depends.
    On short shifts [4 hours] you don't get a break.
    On middle-length shifts [around 6 hours] you get a paid break of about 20 minutes.
    On long shifts [8 hours] you get a 30 minute paid break.
    Longer day shifts [9 hours] have 1 hour unpaid or 45 minutes paid [depends if the breaks fall as lunch or 'supper'].

I think all the breaks for night staff are paid.

ReputationRep:
    Had my interview at sainsburys a week ago today and still haven't heard back . I'm totally worrying about this as I've never had to wait so long for a yes/ no .

I left feeling confident as the interviewer said that if I was unsuccesful for the role I applied for ( as there was only one job and loads of applicants) She would recommend me for another department in the store , she then called in the checkouts manager to speak to me to see if i'd be happy doing this role.

Would sainsburys have already e-mailed me saying no if I didn't get the job ? Or are they just taking ages to get back.
    Surely if someone got the job already or they thought i was a definate no , they would have already e-mailed ?

Ahh the suspense !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    try call them up, is it for student finance form? i remember i needed the number and address when i started and was taken into HR where they had it on the wall and they filled it out for me.
    Its for a tax form. I never see HR coz I work nights, but I did ask them and they werent much help! If anyone knows sainsburys payroll address and number I would appreciate it, as I cannot find it on the net, and I need to send this form about a week ago!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    It depends.
    On short shifts [4 hours] you don't get a break.
    On middle-length shifts [around 6 hours] you get a paid break of about 20 minutes.
    On long shifts [8 hours] you get a 30 minute paid break.
    Longer day shifts [9 hours] have 1 hour unpaid or 45 minutes paid [depends if the breaks fall as lunch or 'supper'].

I think all the breaks for night staff are paid.
    If you work 9 hours +, you can choose to not have the 1 hour lunch break. I have never taken an hours lunch break. The way I see it, im there to earn money, not sit in the canteen.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to give me some advice:

(Original post by Sir_Malc)
    Need some advice everyone.

I have worked at Sainsbury's on the checkouts for the last 4 months on thursday, friday and saturday. I am about to start an Open University course and I need to do work at the library and complete tutorials/residential school on saturdays as I don't drive and need my dad to give me a lift around.

Is there any chance that my local store would allow me to move my 4.5 hours on a saturday to another day during the week and who should I speak to about changing these hours; HR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    If you work 9 hours +, you can choose to not have the 1 hour lunch break. I have never taken an hours lunch break. The way I see it, im there to earn money, not sit in the canteen.
    That's cool.
    I've only ever done that shift as 12-9pm and my team-leader just told me to take 45 minutes paid as it was a supper break. It is good that you get the choice. I would hate to have to wait around for an hour, unpaid...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to give me some advice:
    I'd say they would let you change hours. Wednesday might be a good one to ask for, can be a busy one. Don't speak to HR - your manager should be the first port of call.

ReputationRep:
    Haha you and me would get on well I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    I'd say they would let you change hours. Wednesday might be a good one to ask for, can be a busy one. Don't speak to HR - your manager should be the first port of call.
    Thanks for the reply mate. I have heard of other people at work who were allowed to change there hours around due to University, so hopefully the same will apply for me. I will ask the checkout manager and see what he says.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply mate. I have heard of other people at work who were allowed to change there hours around due to University, so hopefully the same will apply for me. I will ask the checkout manager and see what he says.
    I have a lot of complaints about Sainsbury's, but my store were pretty good with accommodating your life outside. As long as they're given good notice. I did let them know I wanted a Saturday off the Tuesday before once My store would always have needed extra hands on Wednesday as well. It wasn't Saturday/Sunday hell, but still more people wouldn't hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get paid extra if our normal scheduled shifts fall on a bank holiday? Or is it only for those who work overtime on bank holidays?
    If yes, how much more extra? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Haha you and me would get on well I think.
    I find it ridiculous that people would rather an hours lunch break, rather than going home an hour early.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get paid extra if our normal scheduled shifts fall on a bank holiday? Or is it only for those who work overtime on bank holidays?
    If yes, how much more extra? :P
    Bank holiday premium is paid regardless of how you managed to work on that day.

If your ex-savacentre staff, I think you get a bit more.

On the payslip it appears as Bank Hol Prem. I think it is x1.5

ReputationRep:
    I find it ridiculous that people would rather an hours lunch break, rather than going home an hour early.
    Well quite, I just didn't know you could do it. Or rather I think I was told you couldn't. Can't be definite on this score though. Half hour break would do it really, good to chill if likeable people are around...but an hour just made me impatient.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    id love to do that but legally im not allowed!

ReputationRep:
    Part of me wishes I could forgo the break altogether and then just go home that much earlier.

I used to be allowed where I previously worked, depending on which manager was in lol. It was always pretty good because I'd get to leave 30 minutes before the store closed [so say 5.30pm] and go home. Whereas, if you were there until closing time, you had to cash up all the tills and do the tidy-up work, and then be searched by security before you leave [everyone left together]. It often meant you didn't leave until 6.30pm but you were not paid for that extra time...

I do understand why that isn't allowed at Sainsbury's though. However annoying it can be. Eg, when I get my break after working 6.5 hours of an 8 hour shift. Part of me would much rather keep going for just one more hour and then go home lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    id love to do that but legally im not allowed!
    Why not? They can't make you work without a break, but you can choose to if you wish.

(its what I have been told, so don't quote me on that!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.