Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by davireland)
    Before you hand in your resignation, take a look at how you use your time in an average week. When doing A Levels and then when doing a Degree (which I assume your planning to do), time management skills are key. Do you have a diary and manage your A level workload effectively? Do you use the times when you are your most productive effectively?

You may find that by thinking critically about how you spend your time you may be able to do well in your A levels, have the social life you want and pay for that social life with your Sains job.

I work 20 hrs/wk at Sains as a Team Leader, I am also studying for a degree in History and Politics (where I am at the 1st/2:1 borderline). I don't consider myself a genius by any stretch of the imagination but through effectively managing my deadlines and workloads, I manage to enjoy the lifestyle I want.
    Good advice. I'm doing a degree where I have to work unpaid in a hospital for 40 hours a week for much of the year, while writing essays and working at Sainsburys for 12 hours. You have to take the rough with the smooth but it's about being mature and prioritising what is best for you. I'm heading for a first so it's not like it's detrimentally affecting my study.

As I said above, the schoolwork is more important, so if you really cannot cope then you should quit, but it is perfectly feasible to work and study with good time management so taking a good look at your schedule would be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Good advice. I'm doing a degree where I have to work unpaid in a hospital for 40 hours a week for much of the year, while writing essays and working at Sainsburys for 12 hours. You have to take the rough with the smooth but it's about being mature and prioritising what is best for you. I'm heading for a first so it's not like it's detrimentally affecting my study.

As I said above, the schoolwork is more important, so if you really cannot cope then you should quit, but it is perfectly feasible to work and study with good time management so taking a good look at your schedule would be a good start.
    Ditto.
    I've found that my grades have gone up - on a steady first now - since I started working, as I have to focus when I am not at work to make sure I get everything done.

It is all about time management. If it is proving too difficult/stressful to keep up with Sainsbury's and college, quit. After all, I assume that your academics are more important than your Sainsbury's job right now; it isn't worth risking the former for the sake of the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Wondering if anyone here can help me, I currently work part time at sainsburys on the checks 12 hours a week with three 4 hour shifts.

I currently work on a Saturday 11-30 - 3:30 but I would like to change that shift as I am going to playing football on a saturday at a half decent standard, what are sainsburys like for this type of thing? I have worked there for 4 months or so now and was wondering will they just let me change my shift to a another day or time without too many problems?

(Original post by TowlerTQ)
    Wondering if anyone here can help me, I currently work part time at sainsburys on the checks 12 hours a week with three 4 hour shifts.

I currently work on a Saturday 11-30 - 3:30 but I would like to change that shift as I am going to playing football on a saturday at a half decent standard, what are sainsburys like for this type of thing? I have worked there for 4 months or so now and was wondering will they just let me change my shift to a another day or time without too many problems?
    Depends on what your manager is like and whether they need anyone on any other day more than a Saturday. The only thing you can do is ask.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i really want to change departments but considering the problems i had trying to change my shift (in which people who asked later on got priority) i'm not bloody holding any hope.

ReputationRep:
    is it normal for Sainsburys to pay night shift workers the basic salary without the night shift premium?

i'm only getting paid £6.50... yet i've seen some sainsburys stores advertising pay of £7.50-£8.00.

how easy would it be to transfer to another store?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number-11)
    is it normal for Sainsburys to pay night shift workers the basic salary without the night shift premium?

i'm only getting paid £6.50... yet i've seen some sainsburys stores advertising pay of £7.50-£8.00.

I think it depends what your contracted hours are, if you work say from 2000-0200 then I dont think you would get the premium however if you worked 2100-0700 for example then you do qualify.I think you have to work the entire night in order to qualify for the premium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TowlerTQ)

Ask your manager and they will look at it. My advice though would be to be as flexible as possible when it comes to moving those four hours somewhere else. If you are requesting to move those hours and then you put conditions in when you can work then your manager will almost certainly refuse it. Be honest, open and flexible and you should be fine.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by davireland)
    I think it depends what your contracted hours are, if you work say from 2000-0200 then I dont think you would get the premium however if you worked 2100-0700 for example then you do qualify.I think you have to work the entire night in order to qualify for the premium.
    well i work overtime from 9 til 2 sometimes and i still get the premium.

does it say 'night shift premium' on your wageslip? if not, ask your manager why you're not getting it. what hours do you work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    does it say 'night shift premium' on your wageslip? if not, ask your manager why you're not getting it. what hours do you work?
    nope. I work 12 til 8.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nope. I work 12 til 8.
    ask them why you aren't getting it, you should get it for the unsocial hours...

on saturdays i work 10 til 8 and i get night shift premium :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hi ! I have got a Sainsbury's interview coming up next week, the job that I have applied for is Pharmacy counter assistant so I am assuming that I will basically be working at the till. Any tips before my interview, also if it helps I have applied to study Pharmacy at university, can I talk to them about this if they ask me the reason for applying for the job. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    lol, yes you do.
    I know this was a while ago but want to know more haha

Is the holiday pay for your normal wage and normal hours?

I'm going to have to start posting anonymously with my stupid questions lol
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by stargirl92)
    I know this was a while ago but want to know more haha

Is the holiday pay for your normal wage and normal hours?

I'm going to have to start posting anonymously with my stupid questions lol
    its for whatever youve booked that week.

ReputationRep:
    yayaya they offered me a job today

ReputationRep:
    woooo Justin King leads celebrities back to school? (nah i'm not that excited just thought i'd add some sainbsbury's news in)

but good news gok fans, Gok Wan to design for Sainsbury’s. TU the new dior
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by mug51)
    woooo Justin King leads celebrities back to school? (nah i'm not that excited just thought i'd add some sainbsbury's news in)

but good news gok fans, Gok Wan to design for Sainsbury’s. TU the new dior
    URGH i hate gok wan! gonna hate going to work even more now >_>

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i need a reference FROM sainsburys for another job. How do i go about this? I phoned my store up asking for info about who i write down on my application and got something about writing to the HR department or something. Is that the HR shared services up in manchester, cos by the time i get it the deadline will be over and i will have missed the job. Or did they just fob me off? My store wasn't exactly the friendliest to work in, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and if it makes any difference or not, i only worked there for the christmas holidays. 4 weeks in total.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by wickerman24)
    Hey guys, i need a reference FROM sainsburys for another job. How do i go about this? I phoned my store up asking for info about who i write down on my application and got something about writing to the HR department or something. Is that the HR shared services up in manchester, cos by the time i get it the deadline will be over and i will have missed the job. Or did they just fob me off? My store wasn't exactly the friendliest to work in, lol.
    just put down your referee as your old line manager with the store address

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.