Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    There is no uniform for the induction. You'll be in the training room for most of it. If you want to look like you've made an effort wear smart trousers and jumper, but nice pair of jeans would be okay too. Your feet will be under a desk most of the time so footwear is pretty much irrelevant.

The induction is mainly watching videos, filling out forms, learning about the history and values of the company, stuff like that. There shouldn't be any more interviews, although you may meet your department manager.

Training for your role takes place from your first shift. You're taught on the job.

Different stores have different policies but I think most are trying to train as many people as possible on checkouts. All code controllers at our store are till trained and are regularly called to lend a hand at busy times.
    In one of our "buddy stores", they trained all the managers to be till trained and then when it gets busy, they are called to checkouts. Pretty good system imo
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    anyone know what sburys policy is on education? ie. do they have to let you go to a lecture if you have one, and you give them a reasonabl period of notice [4 weeks]

(Original post by inksplodge)
    anyone know what sburys policy is on education? ie. do they have to let you go to a lecture if you have one, and you give them a reasonabl period of notice [4 weeks]
    Your work at Sainsburys is separate from your education. Like any other appointment, if you make it inside your contracted hours, you have to make other arrangements. You can try taking it as holiday or as unpaid, or you might have to swap shifts with someone. Your manager doesn't have any obligation to let you have the time off for a lecture. Obviously the more notice you give, the friendlier they'll be about it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    Your work at Sainsburys is separate from your education. Like any other appointment, if you make it inside your contracted hours, you have to make other arrangements. You can try taking it as holiday or as unpaid, or you might have to swap shifts with someone. Your manager doesn't have any obligation to let you have the time off for a lecture. Obviously the more notice you give, the friendlier they'll be about it.
    im just annoyed cos my manager said let them know 4 weeks before and theyll make sure i have it off. the last two times ive done it theyve had a massive moan about it. :mad:

(Original post by inksplodge)
    im just annoyed cos my manager said let them know 4 weeks before and theyll make sure i have it off. the last two times ive done it theyve had a massive moan about it. :mad:
    Well yeah, they don't care about your life. My manager was having a hissy fit about the days I've booked off for university and I told her the course comes first and whether she gives me holiday or not, I won't be turning up and will simply use the holiday another day.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)
    Well yeah, they don't care about your life. My manager was having a hissy fit about the days I've booked off for university and I told her the course comes first and whether she gives me holiday or not, I won't be turning up and will simply use the holiday another day.
    no i know, it just irritates me how they said they would and then turn out and make a carry on about it. bleh.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got in from an 8 hour shift [which always feels longer because it takes me over an hour to travel each way]. I was on the phone to someone and ended up with a missed called. It was work?!

I think I am going to ignore it for now. I know I didn't take any till keys home or anything like that, so it can't be anything majorly important. I just wish they would talk to me when I am there and stop calling me in my time to try and rearrange shifts and book overtime etc.

As others have said, Sainsbury's is just a part time job. I am there when I am meant to be and I work to hit the targets they give me. That is it. Once I leave the store, that is me gone lol. I have too many university deadlines this week to do anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Where are Euro Currency stores?

I thought Calais was the only store that accepted Euros, but its closed down, but we are bein asked to test Euro functionality.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know how long notice I have to give if I can't do overtime I've agreed to? Or am I totally locked into doing it now?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by drakesdrum)
    Anybody know how long notice I have to give if I can't do overtime I've agreed to? Or am I totally locked into doing it now?
    i think youre locked into it now =/

As with just about everything, you should tell them ASAP. Once it's written into the schedule it forms part of your contracted hours, and they'll have to find cover, so the more notice you give them, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys.

I seem to remember you have to give notice of 24 hours at the latest. Don't think I'm locked into it. Perhaps I'm making that up?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thanks guys.

I seem to remember you have to give notice of 24 hours at the latest. Don't think I'm locked into it. Perhaps I'm making that up?
    if its on the rota that you're in it's very hard to get out of it. i know someone on our shift couldnt do it and ended up phoning in sick, and got a disciplinary for it >_<

Thanks guys.

No, it's not like an appointment at the dentist. You are contracted to do those hours now and if you don't find a means of getting someone else to cover for you, you either go in or face a possible disciplinary. People don't like people who don't turn up for overtime they've volunteered to do. 24 hours notice is no where near enough - how do you expect them to find cover at that short notice?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    thats why when i say ill do overtime i only do a half shift :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question, Im going to uni in september and am currently working in online. Obviously when I go to uni I wont be able to work 6-2 on online. Will they let me carry on working my saturday shift and possibly do an evening on tills too? Or can I obly work for one department at a time? Also is there a minimum number of hours I have to work in a week? Who should I talk to about it? And when should I tell them? Thanks

(Original post by Kedix)
    Just a quick question, Im going to uni in september and am currently working in online. Obviously when I go to uni I wont be able to work 6-2 on online. Will they let me carry on working my saturday shift and possibly do an evening on tills too? Or can I obly work for one department at a time? Also is there a minimum number of hours I have to work in a week? Who should I talk to about it? And when should I tell them? Thanks
    As long as you do 12 hours a week minimum it doesn't matter what departments you work on. Tell your manager sooner rather than later and speak to HR nearer the time to see what can be arranged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)
    Yes, I can confirm this just received my letter today stating that under 18's will receive the same rate as over 18's which is good news. Starting from 25th march in my store.
    Out of interest, who did you get a letter from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Out of interest, who did you get a letter from?
    From HR shared services although signed by my store manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saliency)
    From HR shared services although signed by my store manager.
    Oh ok, I got a letter with my last payslip and got excited thinking it might be something to do with the under 18 rate being scrapped but it was just some stupid 'what's been happening?' update thing. I haven't actually heard anything about it in my store but I hope they're doing it, I could use a pay rise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.