Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    i know this is a retarded question,how do you personally greet customers at the checkouts? im asking because im autistic...my manager wasnt very happy when reviewing me because apparently im not being chatty enough.
    a lot of the time i find it difficult to know the right etiquette cos customers seem like they dont wanna chat/ dont make eye contact etc
    When I worked there, I would just say "hiya" and then just get on with it really, maybe ask if they want help with their packing if I feel like it, or ask what the weather's like outside, if it's still raining or whatever, and that's pretty much it. But then again, in my last two reviews I got told I wasn't making enough conversation, so maybe I'm not the best person to give input! But just so you know you're not the only person who finds it difficult; I always found it hard to make conversation with strangers who probably don't want to talk to me anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Just finished changing and confirming all the cigarette tickets... Head melted and sleep deprived beyond belief. Nothing a wee cupa won't fix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjcw20)
    Just finished changing and confirming all the cigarette tickets... Head melted and sleep deprived beyond belief. Nothing a wee cupa won't fix
    I did that yesterday - you don't realise how many tickets there are back there!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare7)
    Also how the hell do they do the reviews without you knowing?!
    I hide, whether that be behind a pillar or behind the checkout behind the colleague, or look like im doing something else. It's quite easy when you've done so many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Random question:
    How would you deal with unwanted attention from a colleague? This guy has been a bit of a pest since we started working together last year. I've always been friendly but never anything more. I'm starting to seriously loose patience with him now, as he isn't taking no for an answer. Plus, he is actually dating one of the other girls in store and is thus a creep for making advances...
    How would you tackle it?
    I don't have the heart to be completely blunt and tell him to politely ****-off but I suspect that I might reach that point. And quickly lol.
    I had this exact problem! Luckily for me one of the people on my department is married to the team leader on grocery (the department the pest works on) so she told him to have a quiet word with him. He hasn't pestered me since.

But, maybe have a word with someone who is his friend and get them to have a quiet word, I was told to complain to the manager, but I didn't want him to get a disciplinary.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, had my interview earlier today, which I think went well I should hear back by Monday/Tuesday latest if I was successful.

Just wanted to ask for your opinions on the 2 day Induction days. They're 9-5, which in my experience can be a pretty long day, but are they useful/fun etc?

Also, for those of you that work as counter assistants, how do you rate that job role and what's your experience of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemMills)
    Okay, had my interview earlier today, which I think went well I should hear back by Monday/Tuesday latest if I was successful.

Just wanted to ask for your opinions on the 2 day Induction days. They're 9-5, which in my experience can be a pretty long day, but are they useful/fun etc?

Also, for those of you that work as counter assistants, how do you rate that job role and what's your experience of it?
    I don't know about counter assistants, but on your induction day you will basically just watch DVDs all day. It's really really boring and most of it is probably really irrelevant to your job but once you start actually working you'll realise what easy money it was. Plus, it's not really that long a day. On my induction the trainer was always like i'm going for a cup of tea, anyone want anything? So on mine I got loads of breaks that you definatley don't get once you start working!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    induction = boring
    work = even more boring :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Helloo everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unclerachel)
    I had this exact problem! Luckily for me one of the people on my department is married to the team leader on grocery (the department the pest works on) so she told him to have a quiet word with him. He hasn't pestered me since.

But, maybe have a word with someone who is his friend and get them to have a quiet word, I was told to complain to the manager, but I didn't want him to get a disciplinary.
    As harsh as it sounds, that would be rather difficult. Other than his girlfriend, whom he seems to treat terribly, no one likes him. To the point that when he finished on Thursday night, the rest of the team - around 10 of us - stood around comparing horror stories about him. He seems to creep everyone out. But, for them, it tends to stay within the confines of work. For me, he keeps trying to get my phone number, contact me via Facebook etc. He has even tried to invite himself to my house a few times to "keep me company". Urgh. No way lol!

He wasn't in today. So, today was really good.

As harsh as it sounds, that would be rather difficult. Other than his girlfriend, whom he seems to treat terribly, no one likes him. To the point that when he finished on Thursday night, the rest of the team - around 10 of us - stood around comparing horror stories about him. He seems to creep everyone out. But, for them, it tends to stay within the confines of work. For me, he keeps trying to get my phone number, contact me via Facebook etc. He has even tried to invite himself to my house a few times to "keep me company". Urgh. No way lol!

He wasn't in today. So, today was really good.
    Just get anyone to talk to him then. At our place there was a guy on produce who would breathe down some of the girls necks and start hitting on them at 7 in the morning (I work in online). It got the point where they refused to work around that area. One stern word from yours truly and he stopped I hadn't spoken to him before, but I just said the next step would be reporting him for harassment and he got the message.

There will be someone around who will be happy to talk to him for you.

ReputationRep:
    ^ I agree. Get ANYONE to talk to him about it. If you let other people know that he's bothering you so much one of them will talk to him. If not you have to go to a manager and put a complaint in before it goes too far.

I'm writing a letter to HR now requesting time off over summer as I'm doing camp america, what on earth do I write? They've pretty much already okayed it but they need it in formal writing apparently... any hints? It seems a bit short at just the dates I want off and why.

ReputationRep:
    Im in yr 11 of school can I work at sainsburys if im 16 or do I have to wait until I finish my gcses?

(Original post by 2pasda)
    Im in yr 11 of school can I work at sainsburys if im 16 or do I have to wait until I finish my gcses?
    As long as you can do a minimum of 12 hours a week, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    ^ You have to be of compulsory school leaving age. It says on the website when you apply.

ReputationRep:
    Resignations
    Just been reading through the handbook. It states that when you resign, you have an interview to discuss your reasons and then another 'exit' interview before you finish. In practice, does that happen? If it did, I think that would be the most one-to-one time I've ever with the company lol!

Holidays
    Also, I have been told that I must book all my leave for the next 12 months right now. It seems a bit unreasonable to me because plans change. Fair enough, if you know book it. And fair enough also to say you might not get what you want if you leave it until later. But, to force everyone to book it now?! The woman in charge of it wanted me to do it there and then yesterday but I told her no. So, now she wants it asap.

For one thing, I don't want to take more leave than I'll have earned by the time I quit [cause they dock that money off your final wage]. But, I also don't want to book leave for when I know I won't be there. Especially as that could mean someone else cannot have the leave they want because it would clash...

:/

ReputationRep:
    Resignations
    Just been reading through the handbook. It states that when you resign, you have an interview to discuss your reasons and then another 'exit' interview before you finish. In practice, does that happen? If it did, I think that would be the most one-to-one time I've ever with the company lol!
    I left a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any kind of exit interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    I left a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any kind of exit interview.
    That doesn't surprise me. I thought it was a little unrealistic.

ReputationRep:
    Had my first shift last night, and my next is tomorrow. 3-11pm. I just got thrown on the till for the first part, never really got "trained", more like shown a few things and then on came the customers. Wasn't too tough though. I struggle with those asking for cigarettes though, being a non-smoker I take about half an hour looking for the product they asked for behind me xD I also ID'd someone who looked about 28 and he didn't seem too happy, but my first time and all I couldn't be too safe haha.

All in all, it was more tiring than expected, especially when I was on the tills for like 4 hours. My back started to kill me (was a standing up station). Then my well earned 30 minute break was followed by another 4 hours of lifting boxes and re-stocking. Fun fun. The team is great though!

And yeah, hey everyone, been stalking this topic during my interview and induction, a lot of useful info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    induction = boring
    work = even more boring :tongue:

Oh man, i just had my induction this weekend.
    Surely nothing could be more boring than all those sheets and dvds?!?!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.