Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syndicate)
    Had my first shift last night, and my next is tomorrow. 3-11pm. I just got thrown on the till for the first part, never really got "trained", more like shown a few things and then on came the customers. Wasn't too tough though. I struggle with those asking for cigarettes though, being a non-smoker I take about half an hour looking for the product they asked for behind me xD I also ID'd someone who looked about 28 and he didn't seem too happy, but my first time and all I couldn't be too safe haha.

All in all, it was more tiring than expected, especially when I was on the tills for like 4 hours. My back started to kill me (was a standing up station). Then my well earned 30 minute break was followed by another 4 hours of lifting boxes and re-stocking. Fun fun. The team is great though!

And yeah, hey everyone, been stalking this topic during my interview and induction, a lot of useful info!
    Ditto with the kiosk training. I had literally three minutes of the guy pointing to the main functions on the lottery machine. I was lucky on my first full shift on kiosk though - the customers were friendly and pointed me towards the packets of cigs they wanted [to the level of 'to the left, that's it now the blue box' lol].

Don't worry about IDing people. I seem to ID people born around 84/85 all the time. I know they can kick off if they don't have ID with them but if you are in doubt, just ask for ID. It isn't worth the potential fine not doing. Plus, most of them will be used to getting IDed and some of those who turn out to be in their late 20s tend to be flattered rather than annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Ditto with the kiosk training. I had literally three minutes of the guy pointing to the main functions on the lottery machine. I was lucky on my first full shift on kiosk though - the customers were friendly and pointed me towards the packets of cigs they wanted [to the level of 'to the left, that's it now the blue box' lol].

Don't worry about IDing people. I seem to ID people born around 84/85 all the time. I know they can kick off if they don't have ID with them but if you are in doubt, just ask for ID. It isn't worth the potential fine not doing. Plus, most of them will be used to getting IDed and some of those who turn out to be in their late 20s tend to be flattered rather than annoyed.
    Haha yeah, most of the customers fully appreciated the fact I was new and didn't know much.

That's true about IDing folk, I'd much rather have an evil glare or two from the customers than a huge fine and potentially (this was mentioned at induction) a criminal record? I know that's probably like extreme cases of it, but I heard you can actually get one. Wow, serious business indeed :eek: *hides in warehouse*

ReputationRep:
    "Are there any checkouts on?"

Well obviously not that's why nobody is there.

I've been working here for the past 7 months or so and I've made a few observations about the way our customers deal with checkouts.

In my experience there is a clear difference between can't use the self-scan and won't use the self-scan with customers.

If you can't work it I'll help you that's what we're here for but if you don't want to work it and want me to do it then you can go and wait in the queue. The clue is in the title 'self' checkout i.e. carried out by yourself.

What annoys me the most though is the ones that say it's taking away jobs which is nonsense. It's progress. If you want cheaper food and better deals then the company has to make cuts so bringing them in reduces prices and increases sales.

It's not doing anybody out of a job. They are my job.

I love it when somebody scans alcohol through and the machine says "approval needed" then the customer turns to you and says it needs approval as if you don't know this. One day I'd love to turn round and say tough haha.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    "Are there any checkouts on?"

Well obviously not that's why nobody is there.

I've been working here for the past 7 months or so and I've made a few observations about the way our customers deal with checkouts.

In my experience there is a clear difference between can't use the self-scan and won't use the self-scan with customers.

If you can't work it I'll help you that's what we're here for but if you don't want to work it and want me to do it then you can go and wait in the queue. The clue is in the title 'self' checkout i.e. carried out by yourself.

What annoys me the most though is the ones that say it's taking away jobs which is nonsense. It's progress. If you want cheaper food and better deals then the company has to make cuts so bringing them in reduces prices and increases sales.

It's not doing anybody out of a job. They are my job.

I love it when somebody scans alcohol through and the machine says "approval needed" then the customer turns to you and says it needs approval as if you don't know this. One day I'd love to turn round and say tough haha.
    my experience in the 'approval needed' in my supermarket and others is they leave you hanging for about 10 minutes >_<

ReputationRep:
    Handed in my notice. Feels good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak)
    Handed in my notice. Feels good.
    I'll be sharing your joy soon.

Worked out when I am finishing now. Want my last shift to be June 11th, before the June 17th pay day. I think I'll be able to 'enjoy' it a bit more now I have that finish date in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering are your wages automatically transferred into your bank account on payday?
    Or does it take a few days to clear before it actually showing up in your account?

(Original post by CandyCorpse)
    Just wondering are your wages automatically transferred into your bank account on payday?
    Or does it take a few days to clear before it actually showing up in your account?
    It goes straight in (:sexface:) as long as your bank details are correct.

ReputationRep:
    omg! So i shud have gotten my money on Friday then? :|...cause my account shows no change..

ReputationRep:
    How many "*" am i suppose to have on my payslip? On the bank account code section? -.-"
    Cause i have six "*" after the first four digits of my account number :/...
    My bank account number only has 8 digits... not 12..

How many "*" am i suppose to have on my payslip? On the bank account code section? -.-"
    Cause i have six "*" after the first four digits of my account number :/...
    My bank account number only has 8 digits... not 12..
    I have 8 *s and my bank account number is 8 numbers long too.

And yeah you should've been paid on Friday. It goes in roughly midnight Thursday night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)

And yeah you should've been paid on Friday. It goes in roughly midnight Thursday night.
    Oh ok thanks! So basically they eff'd up my paycheck then -.-"...
    How do I get it resolved? Just tell my manager?

Oh ok thanks! So basically they eff'd up my paycheck then -.-"...
    How do I get it resolved? Just tell my manager?
    Nah, go in to HR. They might tell you to fill in a wage query or they'll look up your details on the system. I'd bring your account info with you so you can check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Nah, go in to HR. They might tell you to fill in a wage query or they'll look up your details on the system. I'd bring your account info with you so you can check.
    No one is ever in HR -.-"...
    So on the payslip, on the bank account number section
    its suppose to basically look like this?
    1234****? or 1234********?

No one is ever in HR -.-"...
    So on the payslip, on the bank account number section
    its suppose to basically look like this?
    1234****? or 1234********?
    Go in when they are then. Otherwise you'll never get it sorted...

It looks like the second one.

ReputationRep:
    Just two quick questions for anybody who has done code checking before, how long does it usually take? And anybody who has done it before, are there any tips to help me speed up a bit? (either general or specific bakery tips).

The reason I'm asking is because I had my first proper week last week and my manager told me by this week I should be getting it all done in two hours, the code check and reductions that is, and then I am to work the bread and help out elsewhere. The thing is I am desperately trying not to miss anything in code check or trying not to leave anything behind that should be getting reduced and my carefullness is making me take about three to four hours on it. Sunday took me by surprise too as I was amazed at how fast it all happened, I only just got the reductions done and then had to reduce them further within the next ten minutes as the store was near closing, then I had to finish the code check on bread and do the FOA.

Also does anyone have tips for FOA? Is it just pretty much looking at the shelf and if an item isn't on the shelf or if there's only a few of the item there you scan it and either key in that there's 0 items or just do a quick count and put in how much items there are and consider for escalation on them?

I hope someone replies to this with a few tips anyway as I am really hoping I can get into a routine to have it all done in two hours as I'm a little worried I may get into a bit of trouble if I don't. Thanks.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by FXX)

i've got 8 digits too. wow, how do they mess that up? haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Narrator)
    ive not actually done any code checking but have been trained up on it. it takes longer to do if your dept. manager wants you to do it in priority order rather than moving round in the train track. train track will take you to the nearest item rather than going to move back and fowards when doing by priority. All depends on the manger.

i do FOA on non perishable GM, so it's done in the mornings rather than during the night but it is essentially the same. i actually check every shelf and make sure everything is there if not i scan it as a gap unless i know there is some left in the back.
    if there is little stock of one item i scan it as a low by entering how many there are on shopfloor, not sure about bakery or fresh as if there is only say one lamb chop left and you scan as low and enter 1 item and later a customer takes it to checkouts then it is now a gap and may show up as unscanned gap.
    with the domino tages (yellow cards with numbers on) you count all the stock on the shelf and enter into shopfloor amount and the number shown on the domino tags as warehouse and always escalate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Narrator)
    Just two quick questions for anybody who has done code checking before, how long does it usually take? And anybody who has done it before, are there any tips to help me speed up a bit? (either general or specific bakery tips).

The reason I'm asking is because I had my first proper week last week and my manager told me by this week I should be getting it all done in two hours, the code check and reductions that is, and then I am to work the bread and help out elsewhere. The thing is I am desperately trying not to miss anything in code check or trying not to leave anything behind that should be getting reduced and my carefullness is making me take about three to four hours on it. Sunday took me by surprise too as I was amazed at how fast it all happened, I only just got the reductions done and then had to reduce them further within the next ten minutes as the store was near closing, then I had to finish the code check on bread and do the FOA.

Also does anyone have tips for FOA? Is it just pretty much looking at the shelf and if an item isn't on the shelf or if there's only a few of the item there you scan it and either key in that there's 0 items or just do a quick count and put in how much items there are and consider for escalation on them?

I hope someone replies to this with a few tips anyway as I am really hoping I can get into a routine to have it all done in two hours as I'm a little worried I may get into a bit of trouble if I don't. Thanks.
    Hi, I often do code check/foa for the bakery so I'll try and help!

For code check most people seem to go round doing the reductions first, then go round again to scan everything else, but I find this takes like double the time so I tend to do it all at the same time. I spend a bit more time on the morning goods/ rolls as they usually need scanning, but with the cake you can literally just walk down the aisle checking the items at the front of the shelf as they normally all have a long life. With practice you'll be able to check the cake in maybe 10mins. With the bread, if its going out today I will check every loaf on the shelf, but if its not, I will check the loafs at the back of the shelf and if its the same date, then its pretty safe to assume the whole shelf is the same the date so then you can just count it.

Code check caught me out on my first Sunday to, now unless I'm starting it early I tend to reduce everything to its minimum price and not do second reductions at all, unless theres loads of it. But at my store, we quite often don't do second reductions so you should probably ask about that.

Tbh, most people who code check at my store easily spend 3 hours on it, I usually spend between an hour and 2 hours and don't miss anything, I'm not really sure how it takes so long to do it! With practice you should get quicker (Also I'm sure you do this, but remember to check the back stock, or ask someone whose been working it if theres anything out there)

Foa, at my store we have to do a minimum of 120 lows and 100 overs, but we have to scan min of 300 lines in total. I don't know whether your store still uses dominos? Mine doesn't, and even when we did there were often wrong so we use commodity enquiry to foa with. I scan all the bread and all the celebration cake and thats 150 ish lines right there. Then I scan whatever looks like a low/ gap and I'll just do random overs, normally I end up scanning most of the morning goods/rolls around 60% of the chiller and a little of the cake/ free from. Also we only esculate if theres less than one case of it. Not sure if that really made sense, I'm tired! If it didn't just ask,I'll try explain better.

Ha just realized mug51 beat me to it with a way better explanation so you might wanna ignore all that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    ive not actually done any code checking but have been trained up on it...
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    Hi, I often do code check/foa for the bakery so I'll try and help!...
    Thanks for the replies! My manager said whatever routine I get into is okay for him as long as it goes well. I've been doing the train track route and doing the codecheck with the reductions.

Yeah I've noticed that the cakes seem to be in date for a while. I have had a few boxes of Mr Kipling's things and a few of the celebration cakes to reduce though and I can see how it is easy enough to go through them now. Is it probably worth having a quick glance through the first one or two on the shelf rather than think "I'll leave them" though? I think the celebration/birthday cakes take a bit of time though as I like to be safe rather than sorry and pull them all out only to discover all the back ones are up in April and then think I've wasted time on them.

I suppose the morning goods are the ones that hold me up as you have to take all of them out to check them. The bread is a strange one too as I usually pull them all out but on Sunday I didn't have the time and would look at a few, one or two at the front, then from the middle and from the back and have a rough estimate. One of the people I work with said the bread doesn't get reduced anyway so estimates would be okay if you pull out one from the back, middle and front but what I am worried about is if I miss a few in the code check.

As for the FOA I have just been scanning the gaps and lows as I've been told but don't really know how to follow the Merchandise Action Report. I've been told FOA should only take about 2 minutes but it's been taking me a good 10 or 15.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.