The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

teh_samby
Surely it's better customer service to go at the same speed of the customer rather than scan like mad trying to reach a target? I had this customer a couple of weeks ago to made me stop because I was going too fast and apparently she couldn't keep up...there were only four or five things on her side at the time, but I had to wait for her to pack them all before I could continue. :-/

Obviously you dont want to be annoying customers however most people like a steady speed. Also you should bare in mind that if cashiers are scanning below targets then queues are going to increase. As queues are the biggest things which annoys customers, its probably better if you go quite quick to kill the queues and then if someone looks like their struggling or want u to slow down then obviously slow down but generally u should try to go as fast as u possibly can without compromising service.
teh_samby
Surely it's better customer service to go at the same speed of the customer rather than scan like mad trying to reach a target? I had this customer a couple of weeks ago to made me stop because I was going too fast and apparently she couldn't keep up...there were only four or five things on her side at the time, but I had to wait for her to pack them all before I could continue. :-/

It depends on what type of till you are on. If you are like me and work in a basket store (I work in a city-centre store (not local though)), then your tills are pods and you can only have four or five items through. However, if you work in a superstore, then you can reasonably have 10-15 items through before someone needs to start packing them.
Reply 782
davireland
They can, middle button on the bottom row :p: :wink:

It was different, a newer type. We have the same ones as you, so I know what you are talking about. All they had was start/reset, On/off and a big red button that stopped everything!
Oh-No!
It was different, a newer type. We have the same ones as you, so I know what you are talking about. All they had was start/reset, On/off and a big red button that stopped everything!

Really? thats harsh!
Reply 784
davireland
Really? thats harsh!

Yeah, and the customers didn't seem to understand that they were unstoppable! It was in cobham.
Glad ours have control :biggrin:

Ahh, back tomorrow after 10 days off :frown:
And I need new shoes, why can't I get away with my black and green trainers anymore :frown:
Reply 785
Oh-No!
Yeah, and the customers didn't seem to understand that they were unstoppable! It was in cobham.

And I need new shoes, why can't I get away with my black and green trainers anymore :frown:

Did someone tell you off?
Reply 786
Writer14
Did someone tell you off?

It was sort of a "what's with those. Getting new ones on payday?" where the answer had to be yes! Now I can't decide whether to go into town, or order them from Amazon... ooh decisions!!
Oh-No!

I went on a course today and I was chatting to one of the regional coaches and he said Cobham was really nice, I think they spent alot of money on it. Actually from a productivity point of view, unstoppable belts seem like a good idea :p: :wink:
Reply 788
davireland
I went on a course today and I was chatting to one of the regional coaches and he said Cobham was really nice, I think they spent alot of money on it. Actually from a productivity point of view, unstoppable belts seem like a good idea :p: :wink:

Yeah, it is a good store. They had to close it for a week. They completely emptied it and started again from what I've seen/heard. The GM bit is really smart, they made that look really good and laid out well, upstairs cafe and the food layout isn't too bad either. Seems very modern too. Only bad point was that there were no windows by the checkouts, as they turned the store round 90 degrees (if you get what I mean!)
FXX
Shopping was finished by 9am today. On a Saturday. Getting ridiculous now. Better pick up again in September.

We aren't far behind that on a saturday. Thankfully I finish at 10am saturdays, so I go home just before its all done. What do they get you doing once you've run out?
I'm dreading september because my hours go back to 9-1pm & we will always be running out of work!
Reply 790
Spazzycazzy
We aren't far behind that on a saturday. Thankfully I finish at 10am saturdays, so I go home just before its all done. What do they get you doing once you've run out?
I'm dreading september because my hours go back to 9-1pm & we will always be running out of work!

They put us out on the shop floor mostly. A couple of people have gotten themselves till trained so they jump on those until the end of the shift. More and more often though I'm kept in the office signing of checksheets/processing payments/doing various paperwork and then usually end up cleaning totes for the final 10 minutes.
I only just found out last night that some people who work on Saturday night as well as me get extra money for doing 'unsociable hours' but I don't! It's really annoying knowing people doing the same job as you get more. Anyone know if this is like the time and 1/3 on Sundays in that it stopped so long ago but those who were there before then still get it?
setmefree
I only just found out last night that some people who work on Saturday night as well as me get extra money for doing 'unsociable hours' but I don't! It's really annoying knowing people doing the same job as you get more. Anyone know if this is like the time and 1/3 on Sundays in that it stopped so long ago but those who were there before then still get it?

Indeed 'tis correct.
Yesterday I got my arm pinched by the belt 3 times!
HURT LIKE A COW.
Ha, in my store you just get static shocks off everything, well, everything metal. Ive started to get my locker key out and earth myself, you can see actual little sparks.
lol
Reply 796
dilemma: my contract ends on Saturday but I can't go in on Friday, which is my last shift. What would the repercussions of not going in for my last shift? a bad reference?
Reply 797
Freud
dilemma: my contract ends on Saturday but I can't go in on Friday, which is my last shift. What would the repercussions of not going in for my last shift? a bad reference?

not getting paid.

not receiving a leaving card from colleagues?:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 798
BSJ
not getting paid.

not receiving a leaving card from colleagues?:s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

I don't care about not getting paid.

By leaving card do you mean a p45? They have to give me one of them, in the past it's arrived in the post with my final payslips
Reply 799
Ooh you mean a happy little goodbye card hahaha I misunderstood because it's a concept not worth entertaining :smile: I won't be getting one

Latest

Trending

Trending