Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    generally stock is rotated so if the ones at the back have long life the ones at the front should be shorter life. thats not always the case though im always finding stuff out of date - once i found some cakes 2 weeks out of date :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    generally stock is rotated so if the ones at the back have long life the ones at the front should be shorter life. thats not always the case though im always finding stuff out of date - once i found some cakes 2 weeks out of date :/
    Yeah, that's the problem really, if I knew for certain that whoever stocked the shelves rotated them properly it would put me at ease and I could probably have it all done very quickly but I can't know that for certain and if I miss a lot of things it could be me who gets in trouble, not them. On my first check I found quite a few things, one of which was about a month gone. I suppose at the end of the day if something is missed and it's due to people not rotating stock properly it isn't really my fault as I have been told 2 hours is the normal time to get it all done and to check it all would take a lot longer than that. So I suppose that means I'm not expected to check to the back with certain things.

ReputationRep:
    Its defiantly worth checking the first one on the shelf, I just meant I don't pull any off the shelf, unless I find ones that need checking. I agree that people don't rotate properly grrr its so annoying! With the bread I usually do exactly what you did, as you say because it doesn't get reduced estimates are fine.

FOA, I wish I worked at your store! Where I work its usual to take an hour or more to do it, I usually spend around 40 mins then do the MAR.

ReputationRep:
    Thought this place would be good for some advise.

I've been working at Sainsburys on the checkouts for 6 months, 14 hours a week. I'm in my last year of 6th form (thank god) and aren't going Uni or anything, decided it wasn't for me.

Any way, I would need more hours once I've left school as I'm only part time at the moment, is this possible to do? Also, I don't want to work Saturdays (Could be a problem) although I wouldn't mind working any other day like doing full time between Monday-Friday. Would they like this or would like say no I can't blah blah.

EDIT: I work on checkouts

(Original post by Alextheking)

I've been working at Sainsburys on the checkouts for 6 months, 14 hours a week. I'm in my last year of 6th form (thank god) and aren't going Uni or anything, decided it wasn't for me.

Any way, I would need more hours once I've left school as I'm only part time at the moment, is this possible to do? Also, I don't want to work Saturdays (Could be a problem) although I wouldn't mind working any other day like doing full time between Monday-Friday. Would they like this or would like say no I can't blah blah.

Your manager is the only one who can tell you whether you can do that or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Your manager is the only one who can tell you whether you can do that or not...
    Thanks, would I have to speak directly to him or HR?

Thanks, would I have to speak directly to him or HR?
    Speak to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Speak to him.
    Thanks for the help

Has the pay rate changed for all under 18's? As I've only been there 24/25 weeks so I thought I might not get it as I haven't been there long enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrycola32)
    Its defiantly worth checking the first one on the shelf, I just meant I don't pull any off the shelf, unless I find ones that need checking. I agree that people don't rotate properly grrr its so annoying! With the bread I usually do exactly what you did, as you say because it doesn't get reduced estimates are fine.

FOA, I wish I worked at your store! Where I work its usual to take an hour or more to do it, I usually spend around 40 mins then do the MAR.
    So you check the first one on the shelf and if it's not today's date and is a fair bit away from today's date you just assume the others are too? I guess if it's a day or two away you'd check the next few anyway for the code checking so that you count the right number in for the date you're checking. Really you have to pull out all of the morning goods though don't you? Stuff like crumpets, muffins and scones need to be checked properly all the way through and today's date pulled off for reductions so if any are missed you'd be in a bit of trouble, well that's what I've been thinking anyway.

Yeah in our store the bread and some morning goods shelves are almost empty by the end so a lot need to be scanned for FOA. I just need to ask about the MAR though, for that do you just tick off the things? I'm still getting to grips with where everything is and haven't really been checking the MAR properly but I guess unscanned gaps you either scan or not and tick off and then please investigates you just look and tick off after you've investigated whether or not they need scanning?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    just got my holiday form.. how do we fill this out ?? lol

also, I work night shifts starting from 00:00 to 08:00.. is sainsburys open at this time on boxing day? or does this count as christmas day

ReputationRep:
    Well, because we have to scan so many lines usually most of the MAR has already been scanned. So for the ones that haven't I just go through the list checking them on commodity enquiry then entering them though foa as normal (you don't have to scan them you can just enter the number for them if you don't know where there go) We scan things regardless of whether their a real low or over, the managers just want a set number scanned.

And yeah code check, I don't think you necessarily have to check every item for the morning goods, its normally enough to check the front ones, one at the back and maybe a few in the middle, although obviously if they need scanning you would have to count every one. I think its just a case of using your brain to try and balance speed with accuracy! And don't worry if you miss the odd item, everyone does at some point and often its not even your fault.

ReputationRep:

If you want more hours then yes speak to your department manager. However, if you have A levels, it may be worth having a conversation with your HR manager about progressing within Sainsburys.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by davireland)
    If you want more hours then yes speak to your department manager. However, if you have A levels, it may be worth having a conversation with your HR manager about progressing within Sainsburys.
    Ha really? If I asked for progression I think they'd laugh in my face. >_<

ReputationRep:
    Ha really? If I asked for progression I think they'd laugh in my face. >_<
    What makes you think that?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by davireland)
    What makes you think that?
    I'm seen as a bit of dimwit at work (still got 3 As at A level though). Not taken seriously at all!

ReputationRep:
    I'm seen as a bit of dimwit at work (still got 3 As at A level though). Not taken seriously at all!
    I reckon if you asked the question your HR manager/Manager would think, "wow she is serious", also arranging a meeting shows that your not a dimwit at all.

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't completely related, but, I hate the way at work i'm treated like i'm completely stupid. When i'm on checkouts, lots of the customers speak to me as if i'm an idiot, simply because I work at Sainsbury's. They range from the patronising to the downright rude. Most of the managers talk to you as if you're stupid as well. It's so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    I know this isn't completely related, but, I hate the way at work i'm treated like i'm completely stupid. When i'm on checkouts, lots of the customers speak to me as if i'm an idiot, simply because I work at Sainsbury's. They range from the patronising to the downright rude. Most of the managers talk to you as if you're stupid as well. It's so annoying.
    Totally agree. I've experienced this repeatedly. It is frustrating. I don't think anyone should be treated like an idiot just because they work in a shop. Sometimes, it makes me want to scream that I am a first-class honours student and about to graduate, and thus they have no right to patronise me! :/

(Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Totally agree. I've experienced this repeatedly. It is frustrating. I don't think anyone should be treated like an idiot just because they work in a shop. Sometimes, it makes me want to scream that I am a first-class honours student and about to graduate, and thus they have no right to patronise me! :/
    Yep. When I'm working in the hospital as part of my placement, even though I'm a student, I (usually) get treated with a lot of respect from patients and the staff I'm working with accept me as part of the team and I feel right at home. At Sainsbury's, while the people I work with in online are great, the customers are so bloody arrogant for no reason it's unbelievable. I had one customer at the weekend seemingly have a go at me because an offer on the shelf didn't make sense to them, and it was my fault they couldn't understand it. Most customers are fine and perfectly understanding when you tell them something is out of stock, but those aren't the ones you remember after the end of your shift. The way they say "you usually have this" or "why do you never have this in stock any more?" makes me think they actually believe I have any say in what goes on in the store or in the business. I can shake it off with a "yeah it's bad" or something really lazy but that doesn't stop me thinking about what I would like to have said to them instead for the rest of my shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Yep. When I'm working in the hospital as part of my placement, even though I'm a student, I (usually) get treated with a lot of respect from patients and the staff I'm working with accept me as part of the team and I feel right at home. At Sainsbury's, while the people I work with in online are great, the customers are so bloody arrogant for no reason it's unbelievable. I had one customer at the weekend seemingly have a go at me because an offer on the shelf didn't make sense to them, and it was my fault they couldn't understand it. Most customers are fine and perfectly understanding when you tell them something is out of stock, but those aren't the ones you remember after the end of your shift. The way they say "you usually have this" or "why do you never have this in stock any more?" makes me think they actually believe I have any say in what goes on in the store or in the business. I can shake it off with a "yeah it's bad" or something really lazy but that doesn't stop me thinking about what I would like to have said to them instead for the rest of my shift.
    Or when you've had 6 people ask where something really popular is, and you know its out of stock and not in the warehouse. You tell them, and you say its not out back because you checked 3 times today for it, and they still insist on you going out back.

I had this woman ask for a refund without a receipt. I said no - then she says "Its only an exchange I want".
    I reply "Regardless, I still need a receipt.".

Multiply this conversation by 8.

Colleague walks back to CSD from her break and she kisses her teeth and has the same conversation with her.

At this point I say to her "I've already said no due to the fact you do not have your receipt. Without proof of purchase, we cannot do anything".

"But its Sainsbury's branded though" I honestly wanted to punch her in the face.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.