Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    This is basically the same as me when I started, I needed to change one of my shifts by half an hour. Just ask at your interview, the worst that will happen is they'll say no. If not, then once you start working they can't say you didn't tell them.
    Well I haven't got an interview now because they're now saying applicants need to be 18+ they could of course have told me this after they read through my application but that's too easy apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Then why did you apply if you can't do the hours?
    thought it was worth ago to see whether I could haggle the hours
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tom78)
    thought it was worth ago to see whether I could haggle the hours
    they advertise those hours cos theyre what they need.

the thing that really pisses me off at work is we are short staffed on friday and saturday night. the last 11 people they've hired were contracted for fri and sat, and only 2 of them are actually doing those days. it really annoys me. just leave everyone in the **** why dont you... fair enough if its like 1 hr later start or something but if you dont want to do those days dont bloody apply :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)

the thing that really pisses me off at work is we are short staffed on friday and saturday night. the last 11 people they've hired were contracted for fri and sat, and only 2 of them are actually doing those days. it really annoys me. just leave everyone in the **** why dont you... fair enough if its like 1 hr later start or something but if you dont want to do those days dont bloody apply :mad:
    To be fair, the hours I applied for and the hours they put on my contract were very different. Different days and included late nights, which I certainly didn't apply for.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by affinity89)
    To be fair, the hours I applied for and the hours they put on my contract were very different. Different days and included late nights, which I certainly didn't apply for.
    lol it's probably different for days, but it really makes me mad for nights. we only have 6 or 7 people on a fri and sat and we need at least 10 =(

ReputationRep:
    lol it's probably different for days, but it really makes me mad for nights. we only have 6 or 7 people on a fri and sat and we need at least 10 =(
    We still end up majorly short staffed. They keep letting people move off the late shift [although whenever I ask, as it takes me an hour to get home, they say no]. As a result, most of my late shifts have just two people for checkouts/customer services/the kiosk/carpark. In fact, on a few shifts, I have been left completely alone doing all that.

ReputationRep:

****ing hell J Sainsburys sorry for offending you

(Original post by Tom78)
    ****ing hell J Sainsburys sorry for offending you
    That's okay, at least you understand how annoying it is to be left short staffed.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They always used to take the piss on Fridays, so I just refused to do Overtime on Fridays unless they had 2 people in Kiosk - especially when it was a high euromillions rollover. They soon acted because they realised they would be even more short staffed if I refused to do the overtime as no one else would do it.

It sucks if they are short staffed during your contracted hours though as you can't really bargain with them then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    They always used to take the piss on Fridays, so I just refused to do Overtime on Fridays unless they had 2 people in Kiosk - especially when it was a high euromillions rollover. They soon acted because they realised they would be even more short staffed if I refused to do the overtime as no one else would do it.

It sucks if they are short staffed during your contracted hours though as you can't really bargain with them then.

tbh they are always short staffed when im working :mad:
    then again i do just work weekends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    That's okay, at least you understand how annoying it is to be left short staffed.

:rolleyes:
    I gurantee it's more annoying being unemployed.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Tom78)
    I gurantee it's more annoying being unemployed.
    sorry, I wasn't aiming my rant at you, I am just generally mad at my store... :P

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone elses Thursday comparable to Christmas? I have NEVER seen a checkout with a queue that had 10 people in it. Even at Christmas.

As son as a till trained colleague walked into the store, they where put on a till, regardless of what department they where on. It is safe to say at the end of that night, the store was a mess.

We had 23 trolleys of returns :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Was anyone elses Thursday comparable to Christmas? I have NEVER seen a checkout with a queue that had 10 people in it. Even at Christmas.

As son as a till trained colleague walked into the store, they where put on a till, regardless of what department they where on. It is safe to say at the end of that night, the store was a mess.

We had 23 trolleys of returns :l
    That sounds like hell. Thankfully I don't work Thursdays but I read on a handover that everyone from our department was pulled onto checkouts, so I can only imagine how busy it must have gotten.

Friday, however - empty. It was as if the store wasn't open. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Our thursday was manic too... it felt just like christmas all over again! Luckily, we had enough hours to man nearly every checkout. The evening struggled though, there wasn't enough on and queues were stupidly long.
    Then yesterday was dead... such a long day, couple of busy spells but it just dragged so bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco)
    Tbh I would not be at all surprised if it was just the manager simply not knowing the answers. Whenever I do a refresher training or whatever, my manager rarely knows what the correct answers are at all.

I doubt there was any malicious intent to it, but it still seems a little odd.
    Going to ring him up and have words, might even report him tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I love when my store is meant to close at 8 but stays open till 10. The lights at the front door automatically go off about 15 mins after the shop was meant to close ,so one thinks we are open. Actually managed to get everything done last night, even though I had think 25 training. I hate those training videos :P
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    lol, why? he hasn't done anything wrong :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astra_K)
    I'm not sure that would help - sure, you can complain that he gave you the wrong answers but he shouldn't have been giving you any answers in the first place, should he? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Our thursday was manic too... it felt just like christmas all over again! Luckily, we had enough hours to man nearly every checkout. The evening struggled though, there wasn't enough on and queues were stupidly long.
    Then yesterday was dead... such a long day, couple of busy spells but it just dragged so bad!
    Apparently other stores in my region where exactly the same. I hear Clapham had to shut its doors because it was so busy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.