Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    most of my shift are older, they have kids etc. there's only 1 other person who is a student but she's not technically a stduent yet, going back in sept. they have a few students on days but not many.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there are 56 people applying for the job i want! :eek:

Guess that'll be a no then... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Malc)
    Is it true that if you work in the bakery you get paid an extra pound an hour? Or is that only if you get extra training or work full time?
    I wish!

Only bakers do.

ReputationRep:
    Are the vacational jobs offered at a set time before the holidays, or will it depend on each store?

By this time last year I'd already had a letter from the store asking if I was interesting in returning over the summer, in fact it was mid-late April, but nothing yet. Though I know this year's may have been delayed by the late Easter.

Every logical argument I can think of would say it'd be stupid not to say yes, but I'm just not sure I want to this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, thinking about going to the bakery as I've done a bit of overtime in there and it's a lot better than checkouts.

HR have told me that it's a lot more work than you would expect. Anyone else here work in the bakery who can give me an idea of what it's like to work in there?

ReputationRep:
    I'm code checker on the bakery and it is a lot more hard work on the bakery than you'd expect. Today I worked 8 hours straight and didn't even have a break because the codecheck window opens at 6pm and people working behind the counter usually decide to take their breaks after 6pm and I end up having to cover them, plus also covering when they need to go away from the counter for other reasons, when coveing them it includes serving customers, packing bread, bagels, sticks, cookies and baps, including printing the stickers for them and it also involves cutting bread for customers.

What I have to do aswell as that is take care of disposals, code check, do reductions on brought in stuff and instore bakery items, work bread and morning goods, do the FOA and MAR and today because I had to cover about three people's breaks it meant I couldn't start the code check until after 7pm and by the time I'd finished between 8:30 to 9pm I had to make a start on further reductions and then do the FOA and MAR, so had no break. Then I had someone telling me codecheck should take about 2 hours at most which if you do the math is almost what it took me anyway, I probably took less time that that actually so I dunno what the point was. I must say I am getting more and more bogged down by the way everyone on the counter needs me to cover their break and I do understand why as after 6pm there is only one person on the counter usually and I have to serve customers while they are away but it really eats into the time I need to get my own job done and some of them do push it a bit as they take a fair bit over the amount of time they are entitled to. I can't go on a break and ask them to do the codecheck yet if I cover their break, which some take just as the code check window opens that's a good half an hour of time gone on the time I should be using to ensure the code check is finished early enough to allow me to do further reductions in good time, have a break, do the FOA and MAR and then if I have enough time to work a bit of bread too. But due to having to cover the counter when I should be code checking I'm in a rush to start the codecheck and then do further reductions and do the FOA and MAR, if I don't get some of them done I will be the one in trouble then as those jobs are assigned to me which means I have ended up having to skip my break tonight to ensure it all got done. I don't think I've ever actually got to take a full half hour which I'm entitled to yet everyone behind the counter takes all of their time they are entitled to and some even push it a bit more as I've mentioned which is really a kick in the teeth for me as the extra time they are taking is taking time off me which would end up allowing me to get my job done and have my break. Oh well, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow, I just wonder if I should mention to my manager tomorrow that I didn't get to have a break today as I couldn't begin the code check until 7ish due to covering on the counter for so long.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds busy. But I think i'd rather have that, than be bored to death on a checkout. I bet time goes a lot faster for you than me.

Also, I'd only be working part time, so I would only need a break on the Saturday, and it seems the bakery where I work is well covered on those days.

It also sounds like you have a lot to do even when you're not trained as a baker, which is nice as checkouts only has 4 different things you can do and I've learned them all already.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by James_B123)
    Are the vacational jobs offered at a set time before the holidays, or will it depend on each store?

By this time last year I'd already had a letter from the store asking if I was interesting in returning over the summer, in fact it was mid-late April, but nothing yet. Though I know this year's may have been delayed by the late Easter.

Every logical argument I can think of would say it'd be stupid not to say yes, but I'm just not sure I want to this summer.
    if you want to then give them a ring and ask

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think it's unfair to make someone work untill 10:00pm and then be into work at 10am the next morning? Or am I just being a lazy teenager?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Does anyone else think it's unfair to make someone work untill 10:00pm and then be into work at 10am the next morning? Or am I just being a lazy teenager?
    we have people who finish at 11 then have to be in at 7 >_< it's really not right. but... they can do what they want really. 12 hours isn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    I regularly finish at 10 to be in at 6 the next day, it hurtss!

(Original post by cherrycola32)
    I regularly finish at 10 to be in at 6 the next day, it hurtss!
    By law you're supposed to have 11 hours between shifts... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ff/DG_10029451

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, 16 hours of work in total then mixed with 18 hours of full time college. A total of 36 hours a week, not including hours for homework/coursework/revision etc.

Seems a lot for me.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but the manager is a hormonal crazy power seeking *****! And I need the o/t.

ReputationRep:
    It happens a lot.

Our poor cleaner is a lovely woman. She works 7pm-10pm and then 6am-10am. Everyday. I don't know how she does it. I would sleep straight through that morning shift!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Narrator)
    I'm code checker on the bakery and it is a lot more hard work on the bakery than you'd expect. Today I worked 8 hours straight and didn't even have a break because the codecheck window opens at 6pm and people working behind the counter usually decide to take their breaks after 6pm and I end up having to cover them, plus also covering when they need to go away from the counter for other reasons, when coveing them it includes serving customers, packing bread, bagels, sticks, cookies and baps, including printing the stickers for them and it also involves cutting bread for customers.

What I have to do aswell as that is take care of disposals, code check, do reductions on brought in stuff and instore bakery items, work bread and morning goods, do the FOA and MAR and today because I had to cover about three people's breaks it meant I couldn't start the code check until after 7pm and by the time I'd finished between 8:30 to 9pm I had to make a start on further reductions and then do the FOA and MAR, so had no break. Then I had someone telling me codecheck should take about 2 hours at most which if you do the math is almost what it took me anyway, I probably took less time that that actually so I dunno what the point was. I must say I am getting more and more bogged down by the way everyone on the counter needs me to cover their break and I do understand why as after 6pm there is only one person on the counter usually and I have to serve customers while they are away but it really eats into the time I need to get my own job done and some of them do push it a bit as they take a fair bit over the amount of time they are entitled to. I can't go on a break and ask them to do the codecheck yet if I cover their break, which some take just as the code check window opens that's a good half an hour of time gone on the time I should be using to ensure the code check is finished early enough to allow me to do further reductions in good time, have a break, do the FOA and MAR and then if I have enough time to work a bit of bread too. But due to having to cover the counter when I should be code checking I'm in a rush to start the codecheck and then do further reductions and do the FOA and MAR, if I don't get some of them done I will be the one in trouble then as those jobs are assigned to me which means I have ended up having to skip my break tonight to ensure it all got done. I don't think I've ever actually got to take a full half hour which I'm entitled to yet everyone behind the counter takes all of their time they are entitled to and some even push it a bit more as I've mentioned which is really a kick in the teeth for me as the extra time they are taking is taking time off me which would end up allowing me to get my job done and have my break. Oh well, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow, I just wonder if I should mention to my manager tomorrow that I didn't get to have a break today as I couldn't begin the code check until 7ish due to covering on the counter for so long.
    My boyfriend does the same job as you in our store, and it's hell. I've done a few shifts of overtime in the bakery and it's so stressful compared to the other departments, and he just gets left with everything to do! People can get away with not doing thaat much work as it's tucked away in the back corner of the store, so he's left to pick up the slack. If anyone's considering going to work in the bakery, be wary!

ReputationRep:
    I have an inability to say no to overtime.

I don't mind work so much it's just that time seems to crawl sometimes. I wish I could find a way of passing time on checkouts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    I have an inability to say no to overtime.

I don't mind work so much it's just that time seems to crawl sometimes. I wish I could find a way of passing time on checkouts.
    Easy way i found is to just zone out. Get into a really deep thought about something and just make the basic customer service responses (How many bags did you reuse?, Do you have a nectar card? etc) come naturally. I did a 6 hour shift which seemed to go by in about 1hour 1/2.

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview today, does anybody know how much you have to get right on the dvd test to pass it?

Woo payday next week. Still don't know if I'm getting a bonus or not though >_>

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.