Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who do I need to go to with my wage query form? I didn't get made for some overtime I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    Who do I need to go to with my wage query form? I didn't get made for some overtime I did
    I gave the first one to HR but they lost it. So, I gave mine to my department manager who I think then passed it onto HR.

I hope you don't have the trouble I did though. I ended up writing official letters to get them to take my wage query seriously. It did the trick, he was apologetic and ensured I got the money in my next wage but it took them nearly 4 months in total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    Plinth was murder this time around and there is still things going wrong.
    Are you a price control person? The most annoying thing is when there's no advertising for the stuff on the plinths resulting in either phoning up the unhelpful hotline or printing off manager's specials

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjgoth)
    Are you a price control person? The most annoying thing is when there's no advertising for the stuff on the plinths resulting in either phoning up the unhelpful hotline or printing off manager's specials
    Oh god I hate phoning for pos its so annoying, especially when the pictorial stuff is the wrong price. I just get the "what looks good" book flung at me and told to fix thing. Also the clothing stunt went horrible, we put hundreds of the banners and stuff all out in the car park because our manager went to another store and seen it like that, then when I came in the next night he told me to take it all back down because it looked stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone just give me some brief info on Sainsbury's. I'm thinking of applying there.

Is it boring/hard? Long? Are there some alright people who work there or are they all the local chavs like they seem? Also in London is it one of those places where only ethnics work or do white English work there too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    Can someone just give me some brief info on Sainsbury's. I'm thinking of applying there.

Is it boring/hard? Long? Are there some alright people who work there or are they all the local chavs like they seem? Also in London is it one of those places where only ethnics work or do white English work there too?
    I don't think that is the best approach to take on a thread of Sainsbury's workers. To be honest. :rolleyes: And no, it is not just chavs who work there. At my store, there are young and old of many different ethnicities on the payroll. Also, there are people who have been there for years and years alongside relatively short-time people like me.

It can be boring. Any job can be boring. Especially if you are on an 8+ hour shift. It depends on your attitude, the customers and/or staff you are working with and the variety of things you get to do that will affect how boring/hard you find it.

ReputationRep:
    What I'm just being honest! Whenever I've been to Sainsbury's I always see a fat spotty girl at the checkout or a really old mum or something.

(Original post by Skill)
    What I'm just being honest! Whenever I've been to Sainsbury's I always see a fat spotty girl at the checkout or a really old mum or something.
    All the cool people work in Bluewater. You probably shouldn't work in Sainsburys.

ReputationRep:
    Better than a "really old" Mum who sits at home living off benefits. :rolleyes:
    Most of the people in my store are students anyway, apart from a few full-timers.

ReputationRep:
    My store has a mixture of people, old, young, been there for a few months or one is actually been there since it opened 19 years ago.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Skill)

in my store i have only ever seen 1 ethnic person.

there are a mixture of people. on nights its mostly 25+. yes, some people might be classified as chavs but actually they are really nice people and you can get along with them well. at the end of the day you're all there to do a job so being judgmental just makes the whole thing a lot harder. go in with an open mind and you'll be fine. we don't really have many students though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    The only reason I ask about how many ethnics and foreigners is because in many supermarket stores in London, you find that 95% of people are the ethnic minorities - which is pretty offputting.

If you've got 1 ethnic person in your store, then you surely can't live in London.
    Why would it be off putting? London is a very diverse city. It is to be expected that store work-forces would be equally as diverse.

(Original post by Skill)
    The only reason I ask about how many ethnics and foreigners is because in many supermarket stores in London, you find that 95% of people are the ethnic minorities - which is pretty offputting.

If you've got 1 ethnic person in your store, then you surely can't live in London.
    Then don't work there :confused: Go to a store you'd apply to. If you see too many dark skinned people, walk out. Clearly it's a problem for you.

ReputationRep:
    When is our next pay day colleagues ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    When is our next pay day colleagues ?
    June 17th I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    June 17th I believe.
    Thanks, someone told me that it was the 11th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    Lol I love how people make it out like I'm some kind of minority in my viewpoint. If you walked into a supermarket where every single person on the checkout was ethnics etc you wouldn't work there. That's a simple FACT, so don't try make yourself out to be something. Unless you are an ethnic of course.
    I wouldn't give a **** tbh . A jobs a job and that's a FACT.
    Based on your posts i hope you dont get a job at Sainsburys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I've been working the night shift now for about 7/8 weeks. So I'm about two thirds of the way through my probationary period. By what stage do they usually let you know whether you're going to be kept on or not?

Also, I have enquired about this with my manager and a few colleagues but they all seem pretty clueless. If I do get kept on, I require a week off about one week into what would be my contract proper. I have been told that I have not been issued with a holiday form and that people don't know whether I can book time off, for a period when I may no longer be employed by Sainsburys.

It looks like I'm not going to be able to deal with any holiday issues until I am fully employed and out of my 12 week probation. In this case, how flexible are they with regard to holidays? I know this can obviously vary from store to store but am I able to obtain holiday at short notice? Is it possible to switch your days as opposed to taking holiday days?

So many questions. Basically I really need a weekend in July off and I'll be annoyed if they turn round in a few weeks and say it's too short notice or too many staff are off on the requisite dates, when I've been asking about it since mid April.

Thank in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byerk2)
    Hi All,

I've been working the night shift now for about 7/8 weeks. So I'm about two thirds of the way through my probationary period. By what stage do they usually let you know whether you're going to be kept on or not?

Also, I have enquired about this with my manager and a few colleagues but they all seem pretty clueless. If I do get kept on, I require a week off about one week into what would be my contract proper. I have been told that I have not been issued with a holiday form and that people don't know whether I can book time off, for a period when I may no longer be employed by Sainsburys.

It looks like I'm not going to be able to deal with any holiday issues until I am fully employed and out of my 12 week probation. In this case, how flexible are they with regard to holidays? I know this can obviously vary from store to store but am I able to obtain holiday at short notice? Is it possible to switch your days as opposed to taking holiday days?

So many questions. Basically I really need a weekend in July off and I'll be annoyed if they turn round in a few weeks and say it's too short notice or too many staff are off on the requisite dates, when I've been asking about it since mid April.

Thank in advance
    At my store, everyone was issued with a holiday form when they started and I think practically everyone took leave during the probation period. No one ever spoke to me about the probation period and I didn't have a review until I had worked there for over four months.

If you have asked your manager and they have said you cannot book the leave though, I suppose your store must work differently to mine. Sorry I can't offer any advice but I hope you get it sorted soon.

(Original post by byerk2)
    Hi All,

After 12 weeks, but you won't be let off unless you've done something really bad (they wouldn't wait to get rid of you if you had though), it costs too much to recruit and train people for that.

As for holiday, that is complete tosh. Get a holiday form from HR, fill it out and hand it in to your manager. If you can find someone to swap with then that'll be fine (and obviously means you keep more holiday for later on in the year).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.