Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm down to 2 shifts now. It is actually kind of sad in a way, but it is also going to be amazing not to spend every Thursday working [only had 1 off since I started!] and to no longer have to spend half my life sitting on a bus lol.

ReputationRep:
    I say 3 managers, but she's always there, I'm the 3rd person this month to quit! She gives the polish light work, so they finish hours early, whereas we get the hard work and barely finish. So yeah no shift changes really.
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    why didnt you just try to change shifts?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by tnajamie)
    I say 3 managers, but she's always there, I'm the 3rd person this month to quit! She gives the polish light work, so they finish hours early, whereas we get the hard work and barely finish. So yeah no shift changes really.
    really? id put in a formal complaint. we all finish at the same time regardless of where we're from or if the manager likes us or not lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    All the cool people work in Bluewater. You probably shouldn't work in Sainsburys.
    specifically in the Choice store where there are more employees than customers.

ReputationRep:
    enjoy playing spot the white person!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Skill)
    enjoy playing spot the white person!
    I don't think you'd be a great fit with Sainsbury's anyway. If you said something like that to them I'm sure they'd have you out in a matter of hours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd be a great fit with Sainsbury's anyway. If you said something like that to them I'm sure they'd have you out in a matter of hours.
    Agreed.

Just wondering, when will our staff discount finish? I finish work at 8pm on my last day - will it work until say midnight that day? It doesn't really matter, as I don't plan on shopping much when I finish my shift, but I was just curious.

In other news, our store is finally picking up. It has taken a while, which is to be expected given all the competition, but we are now packed every Saturday. I think a few of our customers are sad that it is no longer super quiet but it makes the shift go so fast because you are on the go all the time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Agreed.

Just wondering, when will our staff discount finish? I finish work at 8pm on my last day - will it work until say midnight that day? It doesn't really matter, as I don't plan on shopping much when I finish my shift, but I was just curious.

In other news, our store is finally picking up. It has taken a while, which is to be expected given all the competition, but we are now packed every Saturday. I think a few of our customers are sad that it is no longer super quiet but it makes the shift go so fast because you are on the go all the time.
    i think you just have to give the card back

ReputationRep:
    i think you just have to give the card back
    Ok. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I got a bonus of £18, and it was taxed by £5.76, so only got £12.24 extra. It's not fair, the amount of money Sainsburys make, and they can't even reward their staffs.

I am thinking of looking for another job, as I nearly used up nearly most of my holiday allowance.

ReputationRep:
    and I'd be left devastated! Oh no Sainsbury's don't want me , my life is over

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey!

I've worked at Sainsburys's for two years in a weeks time, and I'm not even 18, what the hellllllll. Ahaa. I worked in one branch as GM for about 3 months but HATED it, and it was pretty far from where I lived so I put in for a transfer and got one at my local store, where I've worked on checkouts/petrol station. It's insane, can't believe I've been there for two years already. Not too sure I can cope with it much longer though :P What do all you think of working at Sainsbury's? I think it's okay to begin with, but not a long term thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rianne19)

What do all you think of working at Sainsbury's? I think it's okay to begin with, but not a long term thing...
    It's good to work there if your a student, but I don't recommend working there if you got a degree.

I been there over 3 years, and they haven't trained me in anything technical or advance. The work I do is really easy, so I don't feel like I have to perform to keep my job.

Come August I will have been at Sainsburys for three years. I'll be gone by next March hopefully, it's only while I'm at uni (and my course finishes in February). I struggle with two days a week sometimes. If I do overtime I'm like, what the hell, how can people do this full time? Maybe it's because online shopping is so repetitive, there's absolutely no variation whatsoever. So that's great for me as a student when I have enough things to be thinking about, but if that's all I did for 39 hours a week every week, I would die.

There is zero challenge and the only time I'm criticised is for really petty things like not putting fresh bread or eggs into its own tote or something, when I figure it may as well go in a box with crisps or other bread, which my manager then concedes is a better idea.

There is too much focus on meeting targets. For example, for pick speeds, we've got to a point now where the only people meeting the targets are the ones with the highest levels of complaints for making errors, so you just can't win. I understand it's business but if you keep ****ing up peoples orders, they'll move onto somewhere else, like the Tesco online warehouse up the road that has 55 delivery vans compared to our 5.

Between sales, MAC, MCM, the monthly briefings, the disciplinary system (3 absences in 12 months = disciplinary), management of holidays (religious holidays get preferential treatment, my exams aren't important apparently), etc, it can be a bit of a joke. The people working there are alright but it's so hard to not take the piss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Come August I will have been at Sainsburys for three years. I'll be gone by next March hopefully, it's only while I'm at uni (and my course finishes in February). I struggle with two days a week sometimes. If I do overtime I'm like, what the hell, how can people do this full time? Maybe it's because online shopping is so repetitive, there's absolutely no variation whatsoever. So that's great for me as a student when I have enough things to be thinking about, but if that's all I did for 39 hours a week every week, I would die.

There is zero challenge and the only time I'm criticised is for really petty things like not putting fresh bread or eggs into its own tote or something, when I figure it may as well go in a box with crisps or other bread, which my manager then concedes is a better idea.

There is too much focus on meeting targets. For example, for pick speeds, we've got to a point now where the only people meeting the targets are the ones with the highest levels of complaints for making errors, so you just can't win. I understand it's business but if you keep ****ing up peoples orders, they'll move onto somewhere else, like the Tesco online warehouse up the road that has 55 delivery vans compared to our 5.

Between sales, MAC, MCM, the monthly briefings, the disciplinary system (3 absences in 12 months = disciplinary), management of holidays (religious holidays get preferential treatment, my exams aren't important apparently), etc, it can be a bit of a joke. The people working there are alright but it's so hard to not take the piss.
    Sums up my Sainsbury's experience for about 9 months two years ago. I salute you, my friend. All the best

ReputationRep:
    What do all you think of working at Sainsbury's? I think it's okay to begin with, but not a long term thing...
    I work in a small'ish store inside a shopping centre on checkouts, most of the time on self scan. Been there since August 2010.

I think there's parts of the job that we, as colleagues, take for granted. The work on checkouts for instance isn't that difficult, it's just boring. Compare this to say working at McDonalds like many other students and we've probably got the easier job.

So in that respect, it's easy money. The work is simple but that comes at a price.
    There are days where I feel like walking out the doors and not coming back it's that boring. Being stuck on a till for hours with an endless queue is one of the most frustrating feelings in the world, because you just feel like a robot saying and doing the same thing.

We've got basically no overtime at all at the moment and as a result morale is quite low. However everybody gets along well with each other and really that's the making of the job. I've worked in places where the staff are horrible to each other and to the customers and it looks like the recruitment process does a good job of getting rid of any 'bad apples' that could have joined us.

Like every job it has it's good days and bad days but the bad days tend to stick in your head more on checkouts. For every 10 customers that are nice to you there will be one or two bad ones that you get, and they're the one that stick in your mind.

I think it gives you a good insight into the behaviour of the general public. Some don't see you as a person but instead as the face of a company and treat you as such, expecting you to know everything when you only work there 12 hours a week and generally be their slave.

Do I enjoy it? Not really, it's quite boring and repetitive but it'll do for now and I'm grateful for the opportunity they've given me. I'll always give 100% when I work there but I'll soon be looking for a job that'll suit the role of work that I want to go into in the future.

Felt quite good getting all of that out actually, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    I think it gives you a good insight into the behaviour of the general public. Some don't see you as a person but instead as the face of a company and treat you as such, expecting you to know everything when you only work there 12 hours a week and generally be their slave.

Do I enjoy it? Not really, it's quite boring and repetitive but it'll do for now and I'm grateful for the opportunity they've given me. I'll always give 100% when I work there but I'll soon be looking for a job that'll suit the role of work that I want to go into in the future.

Felt quite good getting all of that out actually, thanks
    That first bit there, I can so relate to that. Drives me insane when customers are just completely unnecesary in how they speak to us. I had some man go mental at me on Saturday because of Nectar cards. I tried to explain to him that nectar are actually a seperate company, and Sainsbury's do NOT own it, nor do we have any real input and as a checkout assistant, I really wasn't able to put his points back on his card because he'd lost another one or something. Apparently that wasn't good enough and he thought it'd be okay to shout at me and tell me it was MY fault that this was happening. Yay arsey customers...

Yeah, I think the repetativeness is the worse. Having been there almost two years, and still not 18, I'm ALWAYS on checkouts in the store as I'm not trained for self scan/kiosk etc (although they have just stuck me on there and gone "do your best!" when we've had massive staffing problems). On Saturday's I do half 7 till half 4, it's almost painful :P

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is more repetitive than working the night shift.

I can't really complain since it's easy money. Everytime I go into work, I'm pretty much half asleep and on auto pilot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number-11)
    Nothing is more repetitive than working the night shift.

I can't really complain since it's easy money. Everytime I go into work, I'm pretty much half asleep and on auto pilot.
    This was me, only on a daytime shift

ReputationRep:
    That first bit there, I can so relate to that. Drives me insane when customers are just completely unnecesary in how they speak to us. I had some man go mental at me on Saturday because of Nectar cards. I tried to explain to him that nectar are actually a seperate company, and Sainsbury's do NOT own it, nor do we have any real input and as a checkout assistant, I really wasn't able to put his points back on his card because he'd lost another one or something. Apparently that wasn't good enough and he thought it'd be okay to shout at me and tell me it was MY fault that this was happening. Yay arsey customers...

Yeah, I think the repetativeness is the worse. Having been there almost two years, and still not 18, I'm ALWAYS on checkouts in the store as I'm not trained for self scan/kiosk etc (although they have just stuck me on there and gone "do your best!" when we've had massive staffing problems). On Saturday's I do half 7 till half 4, it's almost painful :P
    I only had a small share of awkward customers, all to varying degrees. Nobody ever shouted at me though :hugs: He's a complete idiot. Try not to worry about nobodies like that. The closest I got to anything near that was this guy being quite narky and sarcastic to me; bordering on it being my fault. However when I dropped my overly polite act and opted for a more robust yet still cool approach I actually got a better reponse and he laughed if off with me.

Aw man That sounds a crappy shift. At least you get out in plenty of time for Saturday night though, right? :P Which department are you on when you always get called to checkouts? The secret to avoid checkouts is to try and duck being trained when you first arrive :P I had a friend there who managed this, though he did work in another store beforehand on a later shift so when he moved to our one they just never bothered trying any training lol
    I would say try and get training for kiosk and self service Though saying this a couple of women who were in my store since it opened 20 years earlier had been asking for exactly that from the beginning and still having no luck but if you don't ask you'll never get :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.