Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hmm...I don't know if this will help or not but all Sainsbury's recruitment is worked on the results of the test. You either fall into three categories - Pass (Insta Job), Borderline (They evaluate you on how you acted and how you compare to others) and Fail (Insta rejection). More than likely you gave a stellar interview but were let down by the test.

aww what!? but the test was so easy!? I don't know...maybe it was because I applied for customer restaurant assistant instead of checkouts and had no previous experience? at least this is what im going to tell myself :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikka_09)
    aww what!? but the test was so easy!? I don't know...maybe it was because I applied for customer restaurant assistant instead of checkouts and had no previous experience? at least this is what im going to tell myself :o:
    Hmm...The thing with Sainsbury's is that everything during recruitment is done using tests and not on past experience etc. I thought I'd let you know so that you could help to improve any future applications to the company.

ReputationRep:
    Had an assault in store today. Code 55 to pharmacy.

On another unrelated note, I've been having such a bad time at work lately. Leaving Sainsbury's has crossed my mind a few times in the last few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rio!)
    Now i'm really confused about working bank holiday monday, my contract hours are 5.30-9, i was assuming we were open until 11, but i'm guessing we'll shut earlier thinking about... So do i turn up for half an hour then go after the store has closed?

Also, what happens if you forget to clock out? Because i think i might still be clocked in... :/
    You'll have to contact your manager for your first part of the question with regards to your bank holiday times.

For the second part - HR know people forget to sign out. Next time your in tell them you forgot to sign out. They'll rectify it. In my store I don't need to bother signing out (Although i'm meant to), as long as i sign in i'll get my pay.

(Original post by Bradford_05)
    Yeah, but i don't think people are that keen to search through over 40 pages of a thread tbh. I actually did take a look at a couple of pages but never saw an answer.
    Most people just ask anyway. We're happy to help people out. Wouldn't be working in a supermarket if we weren't lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rio!)
    Now i'm really confused about working bank holiday monday, my contract hours are 5.30-9, i was assuming we were open until 11, but i'm guessing we'll shut earlier thinking about... So do i turn up for half an hour then go after the store has closed?

Also, what happens if you forget to clock out? Because i think i might still be clocked in... :/
    Its unbelievable that they dont actually tell you what the protocol is for bank holidays isn't it! In fact its a case of second guessing all the time for most things, & risk a disciplinary!
    I usually book bank holidays off, but I didn't get all of them, but I dont really mind now, as I start at 5am & finsh at 9am & we get paid more anyway :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone would be better off talking to someone in their store regarding hours bank holiday monday. There wouldn't be one answer to it that we can suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Its unbelievable that they dont actually tell you what the protocol is for bank holidays isn't it! In fact its a case of second guessing all the time for most things, & risk a disciplinary!
    I usually book bank holidays off, but I didn't get all of them, but I dont really mind now, as I start at 5am & finsh at 9am & we get paid more anyway :yep:
    All i was told about bank holidays is that you don't get them off, you have to book them off if you want them off, but i don't mind working a bank holiday. I looked at my holiday form and i don't get the bank holiday entitlement, is that because I'm U18 and have been there for 3 months? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rio!)
    All i was told about bank holidays is that you don't get them off, you have to book them off if you want them off, but i don't mind working a bank holiday. I looked at my holiday form and i don't get the bank holiday entitlement, is that because I'm U18 and have been there for 3 months? :confused:
    My bank holiday entitlement never shows up on the form. But when I book it off, it doesn't come off my other holiday. So I'd suggest booking it off, and checking that it doesn't come out of your holiday hours.

ReputationRep:
    Im working bank holiday monday, its time and half for me i believe

Im a bit glum today, ive some how managed to make it, so im working 8 days in a row, 62 hours in total, oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Im working bank holiday monday, its time and half for me i believe

Im a bit glum today, ive some how managed to make it, so im working 8 days in a row, 62 hours in total, oh well.
    Hats off to you, that would really get me down that would. I work every other day basically (apart from working monday & tuesdays) & if I didn't get the days off, I would go insane! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hats off to you, that would really get me down that would. I work every other day basically (apart from working monday & tuesdays) & if I didn't get the days off, I would go insane! :yep:
    Ha yeah, it started off with me doing just four days, and gradually ive just ended up doing 8, i've worked two of them already so thats alright, one is monday which will be dead because its bankholiday in a city centre, sunday is usually quiet, and weds and tues im doing something ive never done before so its not like im just doing the same thing over and over.

I start uni again soon and ive told work im not doing overtime then, so i may aswel get lots in now before i go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hmm...The thing with Sainsbury's is that everything during recruitment is done using tests and not on past experience etc. I thought I'd let you know so that you could help to improve any future applications to the company.
    That makes sense :yep: I hadn't worked in retail for years but got the job.

That makes sense :yep: I hadn't worked in retail for years but got the job.
    I think you started around the same time as me didn't you?

Did you have the old-style interview, or the newer DVD?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I started my inductions today, I thought we would be learning what to do in our jobs but signing, more signing, videos, more signing and videos!!

Second day tomorrow... I just want to start work!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I used to work at Sainsbury's as an Online Shopper (June 07-Sept 08) but left to go to uni. Now I could really do with a permanent weekend job, but there are no vacancies on their website for this. Do you think it's ok to ring Sainsbury's, get put through to the Online shopping department and ask them if I could have my old job back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    Hey guys, I used to work at Sainsbury's as an Online Shopper (June 07-Sept 08) but left to go to uni. Now I could really do with a permanent weekend job, but there are no vacancies on their website for this. Do you think it's ok to ring Sainsbury's, get put through to the Online shopping department and ask them if I could have my old job back?
    If they are not advertising then they generally don't have any jobs available at the time.

ReputationRep:
    im leaving and ive already taken too much holiday! They will take this off my final pay right? Ive heard some people say that they had to write a cheque to the company to pay it back because whoever did the pay forgot! lol

ReputationRep:
    Guys... What does a online shopper do when they have no more orders to complete? Stack Shelves?

Although whatever you would be doing wouldnt be for long, considering these shifts advertised are 4 hours each :O

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. With all this talk of bank holiday entitlement I thought I would throw my question into the pile and would love an educated answer.

I am due to start working full-time (39.5 hrs per week) with Sainsbury's in September. My contract says that I have 310 hours (including bank holidays) of holiday entitlement per year, which works out at around 24 days per year when weekends are included during the holiday period). However, my contract also states that bank holidays are included in my normal working week.

My question is this: Do I have to work bank holidays? When I asked the HR person she was, quite amazingly, unsure. She said that she thought I might have to work them, but even though bank holidays were included in my holiday entitlement I wouldn't be given a day in lieu.

I'm thinking now that I should have had that clarified and, if necessary, corrected before I signed the contract... mainly because I think I may now be in a position that I have to work bank holidays and as a result will lose out of a day of holiday entitlement but not get it back!

Does anyone have any ideas?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.