Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How 'okay' is it for someone to purposely split their shopping in half so that they get the two 10p off fuel things? They told me they were doing it and i didn't know what to say.
    It doesn't seem right but i doubt there's anything that can be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    How 'okay' is it for someone to purposely split their shopping in half so that they get the two 10p off fuel things? They told me they were doing it and i didn't know what to say.
    It doesn't seem right but i doubt there's anything that can be done.
    I've never said anything either. It's a bit cheeky i guess, but really what can you say? It's up to them how they choose to pay for the products.

ReputationRep:
    I'll post this here as well...

I am leaving on the 9th, gave my notice 2 and a half weeks ago...manager said notice has to be 4 weeks and said have to work till 9th to make it 4 weeks and that I owe n10 hours holiday...

I had this week booked as holiday since all the way back in March...obviously because im inmy notice period and already owe 10 hours holiday I came to work this week...been working fine for 3 days only to find out now during mid week that Im not even on schedule to work...what do I do?

My manager wasnt in so I couldnt of asked him? Will i even get paid?

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth picking up a job application for Sainsburys for over the summer? Or as they know I'll leave for uni in September is there no point? It'd be awesome if I could transfer to the Sainsburys at the Uni when I'm there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    Is it worth picking up a job application for Sainsburys for over the summer? Or as they know I'll leave for uni in September is there no point? It'd be awesome if I could transfer to the Sainsburys at the Uni when I'm there.
    You need to apply online for any Sainsbury's jobs. As you'd be on your probation until October I don't think there'd be much point if I'm being honest with you. Your best bet is to look for one nearer where you're going for uni if that's where you're going to be based most of the time. Once you get your foot in the door there, then you can think about working nearer home as well.
    I don't think they'd want to take you on and spend money on training you only for you to leave a few months later really.

Good luck in the future though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    You need to apply online for any Sainsbury's jobs. As you'd be on your probation until October I don't think there'd be much point if I'm being honest with you. Your best bet is to look for one nearer where you're going for uni if that's where you're going to be based most of the time. Once you get your foot in the door there, then you can think about working nearer home as well.
    I don't think they'd want to take you on and spend money on training you only for you to leave a few months later really.

Good luck in the future though!
    I'd guessed as much, heh. Just need something useful/productive to do with all this free time.

Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tosh999)
    I'll post this here as well...

I am leaving on the 9th, gave my notice 2 and a half weeks ago...manager said notice has to be 4 weeks and said have to work till 9th to make it 4 weeks and that I owe n10 hours holiday...

I had this week booked as holiday since all the way back in March...obviously because im inmy notice period and already owe 10 hours holiday I came to work this week...been working fine for 3 days only to find out now during mid week that Im not even on schedule to work...what do I do?

My manager wasnt in so I couldnt of asked him? Will i even get paid?
    Any holiday you owe when you leave Sainsbury's will be deducted from your final payslip. Just because you owe the holiday doesn't mean your Department Manager necessarily wanted you to work the hours back, although now you've done them it's a bit late. Best to talk to you Department Manager or Team Leader when you're next in and see what they say. If they're not around it might be worth talking to a Duty Manager. The personnel team might ask your manager as to why you were in when holiday was booked too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    I'd guessed as much, heh. Just need something useful/productive to do with all this free time.

Thanks for the reply!

Or just not tell them you're going to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    It is. I've worked at Sainsbury's for the last four summers. This one and the last was at the same store, they have some temporary positions during the summer. My store knew I was going back to uni this summer and i believe Sainsbury's used to do a "vacational student" contract or something like that whereby you'd only work during holidays but they stopped it for some reason. Although if you kind of put it out there that you want to go back the next summer/christmas/easter or something, they'll remember you and you can just ring them up and they'll most likely have you again rather than hiring new people and re-training.

Better than sitting at home doing nothing

ReputationRep:
    banana

when i resigned from sainsburys i wrote it to my department manager (online) and then CC'd human resources. but my manager took my letter straight to HR anyway.
    you dont have to give a reason. just work out the date you are due to leave according to the 4 weeks notice (date of letter) and state that date will be your last shift.
    basically everything affinity89 did, i did the same haha

ReputationRep:
    Who do i ask for a reference, also what happens on the last.day regarding p45/uniform etc
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by c101)
    Who do i ask for a reference, also what happens on the last.day regarding p45/uniform etc
    reference - direct it to HR

p45 comes in the post with your last pay slip

uniform - give it back, although i havent yet :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    reference - direct it to HR

p45 comes in the post with your last pay slip

uniform - give it back, although i havent yet :rofl:

We should get the reference just before we leave? :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    We should get the reference just before we leave? :eek:
    no, i mean if you need a reference you have to put down HR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    no, i mean if you need a reference you have to put down HR
    Thanks so much!
    So I request a reference from HR people? Coz Tuesday is my last day (I'm off today and tomarrow)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by c101)
    Thanks so much!
    So I request a reference from HR people? Coz Tuesday is my last day (I'm off today and tomarrow)
    no if you need a reference you simply just put down HR

ReputationRep:
    I have a discount card query -

I get that you can use it for online shopping (on the groceries site) but can you use it on the Sainsbury's entertainment site? I don't really do online shopping but I do buy a lot of books / dvds etc. online but I can't see any way of using my discount card on the sainsbury's entertainment part of the site.

I am very grateful for any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    I have a discount card query -

I get that you can use it for online shopping (on the groceries site) but can you use it on the Sainsbury's entertainment site? I don't really do online shopping but I do buy a lot of books / dvds etc. online but I can't see any way of using my discount card on the sainsbury's entertainment part of the site.

I am very grateful for any help.
    Hey. It seems you need to call Sainsbury's online team to enable your discount card for online shopping, which includes the entertainment site.

Here's a link to a forum thread on the subject.
    http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/YourIde...x?PostID=17813

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how transfers work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1platinum)
    Anyone know how transfers work?
    I've recently transferred to a different store. What I did was go to HR and explained that I wanted to transfer. The Lady there asked where I want to transfer to and emailed the stores asking if they want to take me and what hours I can do etc. Luckily one of the stores I asked about said they did, so after that it was pretty much them working it out transfer date and stuff.
    I think usually the new store ask for an interview but mine didn't so I pretty much turned up and started working at a new store.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.