Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes, its changed. Before I applied for the post of CTS in a local store, I tried to apply for a team leader job in the supermarket, but the supermarket was about 0.9 miles over the 5 mile threshold and as such I wasn't allowed to make a formal application. I think having a distance limit as a prerequisite to making an application is a great idea. Especially since these supermarkets are very appealing to students who treat these jobs as throwaway and secondary [which of course they are allowed to as these jobs to these students are secondary] - I just think it helps filter the applicants. Not the best prerequisite all the time, but I do think it works well.

I've got my CTS induction [9:30am-3:00pm] tomorrow, eee! So exicted

ReputationRep:
    Is it pay day tomorrow colleagues ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkb230)
    Is it pay day tomorrow colleagues ?
    yup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunners r us)
    when they say "applicants must live within 5miles of the store" are they serious?

I worked for Sainsburys for 2 years before i went to Uni and the store i worked at was around 9miles away and i still got there fine.
    If you look at the jobs on the website it only seems to be for smaller branches like sainsburys local.

I live 18miles from my big store and still got the job there.

Phoned work to sort my problem out that I posted earlier ... team leader has phoned in sick. that's just great. Will try again tomorrow but not looking good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mchoneybee)
    I'm about to do that but any insight into the legalities of what they're doing with my hours without asking?
    If you're just a band 2 Counters Assistant then your contracted hours are probably fixed in your contract that you were given in induction. If you look at that it will say which hours you are down to work or if you have a flexible contract (seems unlikely if you're not a Team Leader or Department Manager). As far as I'm aware your TL/DM can't force you to change your hours without at least asking you first if you have a fixed contract.

If you're unhappy about the changes they're making to your hours and you haven't agreed to them, and both your TL and DM are away then it's probably worth speaking to the PTM/HR Manager and explaining your situation. He/She is trained in all things legal about hours and contracts and can probably help you with your situation. Ultimately it's probably worthwhile talking to your Department Manager when he/she is back from holiday to sort out your problem in the long run.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya does anybody know what happens to staff members who go awol (don't work out their notice) ? I've totally had enough of these people and i don't need a reference / don't need the money.

I handed in my notice and was working off my 4 weeks and then I got a Drs certificate from my Drs signing me off sick for a month which i handed in so I don't legitimately have to work my notice period. Sainsbury's being sainsbury's lost the certificate and have asked me for anotehr one. I'm no longer in London it would cost me £38 to come back and my i'd also have to pay an additional £25 to my doctor to issue a replacement. I've no intention of wasting £63 quid and just wondered what would happen i just washed my hands of them.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Ezekiel)
    Hiya does anybody know what happens to staff members who go awol (don't work out their notice) ? I've totally had enough of these people and i don't need a reference / don't need the money.

I handed in my notice and was working off my 4 weeks and then I got a Drs certificate from my Drs signing me off sick for a month which i handed in so I don't legitimately have to work my notice period. Sainsbury's being sainsbury's lost the certificate and have asked me for anotehr one. I'm no longer in London it would cost me £38 to come back and my i'd also have to pay an additional £25 to my doctor to issue a replacement. I've no intention of wasting £63 quid and just wondered what would happen i just washed my hands of them.
    They "lost" it :rolleyes: how the **** do you lose it, it should be kept safe in your file. It's confidential and all1

ReputationRep:
    IF they are acknowledging the fact that they lost it, they must've seen it. If the doctor then charges you again, pass on the cost, as it was Sainsbury's fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    They "lost" it :rolleyes: how the **** do you lose it, it should be kept safe in your file. It's confidential and all1
    Well they said they do not have it when i handed it into HR. On WDooley1's point even if Sainsbury's pay for a replacement certificate having accepted they lost it why should i pay £38 to come back to London? Basically i'm not going back lol and i just wanted to know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    Pay Day !!! time to spend money on stuff i don't really need

ReputationRep:
    When does the rate of pay go up from basic to competent rate? Is there anything you have to do to actually get the competent rate? And how much extra is it?

I have been working there 7 months and still not been self scan or kiosk trained which sucks because people who have started after me have been (I'm 20 so no age issues). I also seem to be getting passed over for overtime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    When does the rate of pay go up from basic to competent rate? Is there anything you have to do to actually get the competent rate? And how much extra is it?

I have been working there 7 months and still not been self scan or kiosk trained which sucks because people who have started after me have been (I'm 20 so no age issues). I also seem to be getting passed over for overtime
    Pay should automatically go up after 6 months, you don't have to do anything to get it though. As for how much extra, it depends on where your store is. Mine went up the same month we got our pay rise so not sure how much was down to that.

I know how exactly you feel about self scan / kiosk though. My store is the same, I've been in Sainsbury's for over 2 years but I never get to do self scan or kiosk anymore, is so demotivating seeing people who just started getting to do them straight away while you're spending shift after shift solely on checkouts.

As for overtime, I've noticed that the more you work the more overtime you're offered. Maybe ask for some overtime in a different department? I've gotten lots of overtime on nights / BWS / clothes lately just from being in the right place at the right time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)

i did too, i didnt get trained to do anything in the 20 months i was there >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)

Pay should automatically go up after 6 months, you don't have to do anything to get it though. As for how much extra, it depends on where your store is. Mine went up the same month we got our pay rise so not sure how much was down to that.

I know how exactly you feel about self scan / kiosk though. My store is the same, I've been in Sainsbury's for over 2 years but I never get to do self scan or kiosk anymore, is so demotivating seeing people who just started getting to do them straight away while you're spending shift after shift solely on checkouts.

As for overtime, I've noticed that the more you work the more overtime you're offered. Maybe ask for some overtime in a different department? I've gotten lots of overtime on nights / BWS / clothes lately just from being in the right place at the right time.
    Every member of checkouts had a 1 hour training session on self scan, so we were all self scan trained. I often ended up on it though and it isn't all that fun. Especially on an 8 hour shift. Your feet start to hurt after a while lol.

With the kiosk, I was given 2 minutes training. Basically, a guy told me how to put the lottery through the till [using PLU] and that was absolutely it. Then I was left to run the kiosk on my own for four hours! [On my own because our kiosk was completely separate from the rest of the checkouts and service desk.] After that, I was put on there for entire shifts, and it was pretty rubbish. If nothing else, you don't really get to chat to your customers because most are in a hurry and/or you'll have a queue.

I know it must be frustrating not to be trained up on things, but most of the people in my store regretted it once they were, as sitting on a checkout is one of the 'nicest' ways to pass a shift when you are on the checkout department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    Every member of checkouts had a 1 hour training session on self scan, so we were all self scan trained. I often ended up on it though and it isn't all that fun. Especially on an 8 hour shift. Your feet start to hurt after a while lol.

With the kiosk, I was given 2 minutes training. Basically, a guy told me how to put the lottery through the till [using PLU] and that was absolutely it. Then I was left to run the kiosk on my own for four hours! [On my own because our kiosk was completely separate from the rest of the checkouts and service desk.] After that, I was put on there for entire shifts, and it was pretty rubbish. If nothing else, you don't really get to chat to your customers because most are in a hurry and/or you'll have a queue.

I know it must be frustrating not to be trained up on things, but most of the people in my store regretted it once they were, as sitting on a checkout is one of the 'nicest' ways to pass a shift when you are on the checkout department.
    The only reason I really wish I was trained in self-scan or kiosk is that a lot of the overtime that comes up in store actually specifies these and so I get instantly ruled out for it.

The last couple times I've been in though the supervisors have been asking others about overtime - even when that colleague is busy - and yet never asking me even when I am less busy. It sucks because the extra money does come in handy.

Although I'm hoping to leave soon anyway - the only thing I'll really miss is the discount card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)

Yeah, our store only got self scan about this time last year so everyone (including me) was trained on it. We got a new manager a few months ago and she insists on putting the full timers on it during weekdays with one part timer in the evening. On weekends its just basically the supervisor's friends that get to do it. So its frustrating that under our old manager I got to do it almost every week and now I haven't been on it for more than 5 minutes since March even though there have been days where I've watched everyone else on checkouts get a turn.

Kiosk is a bit different, I haven't been trained on papers so I've never really been a regular up there but I have done breaks and middle of the day shifts the odd time and I've liked it whenever I have been there. I don't mind not talking to customers, our store gets a lot of foreign people who don't speak English so half the time you can't even if you want to.

I think that's the frustrating thing, when you've had a few months of getting to do the 'fun stuff' going back to checkouts constantly almost feels like a slap in the face. Especially when half of the department gets to do whatever they want and you've told your supervisors you hate checkouts / get a sore back from being on them all day and they do nothing about it.
    EDIT: I think that's funny about your store though, everyone hates checkouts in mine .

ReputationRep:
    Had my induction training today, felt a sense of achievement sat in a room with 13 other people having got this far! I was the only one there going in as a CTS - I'm told its quite rare for Sainsbury's to outsource their recruitment for band 3 and above - i.e. most people that make it to CTS and above start off as store assistants/colleagues.

Anyway, the induction itself was actually pretty interesting; monotonous like you wouldn't believe, but I really enjoyed it. Was with a great group of people. I'm really peeved though - I applied and was told at my interview that I'd do my training at one of the city centre stores and would then move to the other city centre store that's opening next month. However, I've now been told that I'll be working at a store 2 miles away, in a really rough area! Lol Gutttttted.

ReputationRep:
    Never did manage to get to speak to a human being at my store about my hours problem despite repeated attempts ...

but clearly they got the message and knew they were in the wrong as I eventually received a text last night telling me to work my normal hours next week.

I'm not a confrontational person at all, but I really did need the day off off and am glad I fought them over it instead of being a timid mouse like I sometimes can be.

ReputationRep:
    My word, just going through all the induction stuff - SOO much!

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can anyone give me an idea of what my notice period is? I've only been working in Sainsbury's since the beginning of June but intend to leave mid-September so I will only just be out of my introductory 3 months. I'm not sure when to hand my notice in as my induction pack just says something like "Ask line manager for individual notice periods". I don't want to let them know I'm going to leave yet incase they get rid of me first, which they can because I haven't passed my probation period, and I really need the money for now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.