Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    Hey everyone. With all this talk of bank holiday entitlement I thought I would throw my question into the pile and would love an educated answer.

I am due to start working full-time (39.5 hrs per week) with Sainsbury's in September. My contract says that I have 310 hours (including bank holidays) of holiday entitlement per year, which works out at around 24 days per year when weekends are included during the holiday period). However, my contract also states that bank holidays are included in my normal working week.

My question is this: Do I have to work bank holidays? When I asked the HR person she was, quite amazingly, unsure. She said that she thought I might have to work them, but even though bank holidays were included in my holiday entitlement I wouldn't be given a day in lieu.

I'm thinking now that I should have had that clarified and, if necessary, corrected before I signed the contract... mainly because I think I may now be in a position that I have to work bank holidays and as a result will lose out of a day of holiday entitlement but not get it back!

Does anyone have any ideas?
    if that bank holiday is marked on your holiday form as holiday then it is holiday, if not then you will have to work it. If you work on that day you will get your holiday pay and also get paid for working too so its like double pay. (assuming if your on holiday on that date)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    if that bank holiday is marked on your holiday form as holiday then it is holiday, if not then you will have to work it. If you work on that day you will get your holiday pay and also get paid for working too so its like double pay. (assuming if your on holiday on that date)
    But it says that bank holidays are part of my normal working week, which to me makes it sound like I have no choice about working them. But, how can it also say that my holiday time includes bank holidays? (I haven't started working there yet so haven't seen a holiday form).

Very confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyMiner)
    Hey everyone. With all this talk of bank holiday entitlement I thought I would throw my question into the pile and would love an educated answer.

I am due to start working full-time (39.5 hrs per week) with Sainsbury's in September. My contract says that I have 310 hours (including bank holidays) of holiday entitlement per year, which works out at around 24 days per year when weekends are included during the holiday period). However, my contract also states that bank holidays are included in my normal working week.

My question is this: Do I have to work bank holidays? When I asked the HR person she was, quite amazingly, unsure. She said that she thought I might have to work them, but even though bank holidays were included in my holiday entitlement I wouldn't be given a day in lieu.

I'm thinking now that I should have had that clarified and, if necessary, corrected before I signed the contract... mainly because I think I may now be in a position that I have to work bank holidays and as a result will lose out of a day of holiday entitlement but not get it back!

Does anyone have any ideas?
    It's very simple. You are given 6 weeks holiday a year which includes the bank holidays (most workers have four weeks which they can choose + 2 weeks of bank holidays where their employers will pay them anyway). In exchange for the extra holiday you work any bank holdays that fall on your shift pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Hello from Australia all you poor suckers still stuck in Sainsbury's eh? Pahahaha - oh I can't laugh, it won't last long.

I know come the 11th I'll be back in full force, uniformed up... can I really survive another however many months? Vacancies seem to have dried up as well. Ah well. I'll live I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddikins)
    Guys... What does a online shopper do when they have no more orders to complete? Stack Shelves?

Although whatever you would be doing wouldnt be for long, considering these shifts advertised are 4 hours each :O
    We stack shelves. It will depend what 4 hours you are doing though. If its 6am for instance, its highly unlikely you will run out of work. These summer holidays I have been doing 5am til 9am, I am dreading the week after next when my hours go back to 9am til 1pm :mad: mondays we always run out of work by atleast 12. I only like the shopping, not stacking shelves:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    We stack shelves. It will depend what 4 hours you are doing though. If its 6am for instance, its highly unlikely you will run out of work. These summer holidays I have been doing 5am til 9am, I am dreading the week after next when my hours go back to 9am til 1pm :mad: mondays we always run out of work by atleast 12. I only like the shopping, not stacking shelves:yep:
    Ahah! Thank you! The 4 hours on the vacancy are 6am - 10am on thurs, sat and sun.

Just about to apply

EDIT:

Finished and submitted my app a while ago. Just got to wait and see what happens now. Will they phone me and tell me that ive been invited to an interview, or do i have to check the app thingy on the website?

ReputationRep:
    Ahah! Thank you! The 4 hours on the vacancy are 6am - 10am on thurs, sat and sun.

Just about to apply

EDIT:

Finished and submitted my app a while ago. Just got to wait and see what happens now. Will they phone me and tell me that ive been invited to an interview, or do i have to check the app thingy on the website?
    You will receive an e-mail and a text either tomorrow or the next day If you get an interview. If you did received the good news you need to call back the HR department and book the interview slot.

Gud Luck!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok I got rejected again by sainsburys for the 2nd time I don't know where I am going wrong. I always get through the interview stages but they always give the message that while i demonstrated the skills they need some candidates were much closer for the role.

ReputationRep:
    I got the job finally :O :woo:

(Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I got the job finally :O :woo:
    Pheewwwwwwwwww!

Congratulations! :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Pheewwwwwwwwww!

Congratulations! :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo: :yep: :woo:
    LOL Received my contract today! Gosh, this search for a job at Sainsburys was crazy! LOL funny thing is, I didn't get the job through the normal process :p:

(Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    LOL Received my contract today! Gosh, this search for a job at Sainsburys was crazy! LOL funny thing is, I didn't get the job through the normal process :p:
    Secretly, I knew you wouldn't. But I didn't want to say, because I didn't want to be the one to suggest ringing up your stores HR and nagging them :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Secretly, I knew you wouldn't. But I didn't want to say, because I didn't want to be the one to suggest ringing up your stores HR and nagging them :p:.
    LOL it is difficult to get jobs in London

I got a job in my local store which luckily had a five mile radius! However I applied for Warehouse Assistant and got the interview but I also told the interviewer heard that I used to work on Checkouts and she noted it down. Few days later (1 day before my results day) I get various missed calls from an number I did not know, I decided to call them back and it was my local Sainsburys, the interviewer asked me if I would be interested in a Customer Service Assistant job and obviously I said yes ... less than 1 week later I am offered the job

ReputationRep:
    how long do you normally have to wait to hear back? the manager said around a week but it's been ten days now, cheers.

Anywhere from a day to a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    Hey guys, I used to work at Sainsbury's as an Online Shopper (June 07-Sept 08) but left to go to uni. Now I could really do with a permanent weekend job, but there are no vacancies on their website for this. Do you think it's ok to ring Sainsbury's, get put through to the Online shopping department and ask them if I could have my old job back?
    You'll have to keep checking the website for vacancies, it gets tedious, but once they notice you've been there before it should get easy. I did the same, quit than start again, i worked in one store for 9 months and wasn't able to get a transfer so i had to try find another job and happened to keep checking the vacancies and 6 months later I got back in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattgeezer)
    how long do you normally have to wait to hear back? the manager said around a week but it's been ten days now, cheers.
    If it gets too long, i'd call the number they called you on to get an interview, and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    ahaha i used to talk to the checkout manager for like a whole year when i used to shop at sainsburys, that helped me get an interview

ReputationRep:

Just about to apply

EDIT:

They email you & you have to give them a call to arrange an interview (i think thats what happened, was last november) then 4 days after the interview I had a call saying I had the job & the dates for inductions.
    Those hours you will be doing I would be very surprised if you ever run out of work! What branch is that in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Hello from Australia all you poor suckers still stuck in Sainsbury's eh? Pahahaha - oh I can't laugh, it won't last long.

I know come the 11th I'll be back in full force, uniformed up... can I really survive another however many months? Vacancies seem to have dried up as well. Ah well. I'll live I'm sure.

Hi from the sunny UK. hows australia, snowing yet?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.