Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's something you will all love. Sainsbury's took part in a Channel 4 documentary a few years back called "I'm running Sainsbury's" where ordinary colleagues ideas were trialed across the company.

It's a really worthwhile watch and something we can all relate to as well. It's something that really gets you thinking about ways to improve your own store and it's weird seeing the company that you work for on tv too!

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKiuT...next=1&list=SL

ReputationRep:
    Handed in my notice I'm hoping for a dual store, because I don't really want to leave, but just in case I don't get one, i'll be leaving on the 9th of September

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am having problems finding another job.

I am looking to quit Sainsburys, but I won't quit unless I found a job.

I have been job hunting for just over 4 weeks. I only had 2 job interviews, which I rejected, one was because it took 56 minutes to get there. I though it was too far.

The other because they wanted to interview me the same day they rang me. I told them if I could go to the interview at another day. I did ring them later, if I can attend the interview and the person who phone me wasn't available. I should of went to both interview, but it's too late now.

I just got a call, from someone asking me my current work situation. I told them I had to give 4 weeks notice. They said they are looking for someone for an immediate start. She said the job pays 15k/year while I am earning 7k/year at Sainsburys. I can only work up to 4 days a week for 4 weeks, as I work on Thursday at Sainsburys.

I would have to quit my Sainsburys job, so I am free to work Mon-Fri straight away. But if I quit my Sainsburys job, I may have no job.

So, what should I do? I may not of had that job, as she may want to interview me. But this 4 week notice isn't really ideal.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    Hi guys,

I am having problems finding another job.

I am looking to quit Sainsburys, but I won't quit unless I found a job.

I have been job hunting for just over 4 weeks. I only had 2 job interviews, which I rejected, one was because it took 56 minutes to get there. I though it was too far.

The other because they wanted to interview me the same day they rang me. I told them if I could go to the interview at another day. I did ring them later, if I can attend the interview and the person who phone me wasn't available. I should of went to both interview, but it's too late now.

I just got a call, from someone asking me my current work situation. I told them I had to give 4 weeks notice. They said they are looking for someone for an immediate start. She said the job pays 15k/year while I am earning 7k/year at Sainsburys. I can only work up to 4 days a week for 4 weeks, as I work on Thursday at Sainsburys.

I would have to quit my Sainsburys job, so I am free to work Mon-Fri straight away. But if I quit my Sainsburys job, I may have no job.

So, what should I do? I may not of had that job, as she may want to interview me. But this 4 week notice isn't really ideal.

Thanks
    How bout working saturdays and sundays at sainsburys and work mon-fri on the the other one if you do get it. Then hand in your notice at sainsburys.

ReputationRep:
    Working weekends might be a good idea, or you could ask for unpaid leave if you don't need the money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davireland)
    This isn't strictly true and depends on whether your shift is over the lunchtime period or not.

If you work under 4.5 hours in a shift you are not entitled to any break.

If you work from 4.5 hours-6 Hours, you are entitled to a 15 min paid break.

From 6-9 hours, you are entitled to a 30 min paid bread.

9+ Hours (Over Lunch) = 1 am 15 min paid break, 1 hour unpaid lunch, then 1 pm paid break.

9+ Hours (Not over Lunch) = A total of 45 min paid breaks organised when it is convenient for the business.

Thats how our store has always organized breaks.

Also that would be right for the local's too because if someone does 8 hours then they would get 30 min paid.

Also the 20 minute break thing that someone mentioned, the company used to give 20mins instead of 15mins but when contracts changed to RGS, they reduced it to 15min. In every store there are some colleagues who may still be on old contracts so they are entitled to 20 min breaks instead of 15 mins simply because of the contract they are on. There also may have been a management decision in that store to give everyone 20 min breaks despite the changes, simply to treat everyone the same.
    The colleague hand book thing says:

4.5 to 6 hours is 15 mins paid
    6 hours to 8 hours is 20 mins - 15 mins paid, 5 mins unpaid (this is because of the Working Time Regulations require employers to give you the opportunity to have a 20 mins break if you work over 6 hours) but I don't think they ever really enforce the 'unpaid' bit
    8 hours to 9 hours is 30 mins - either 15 mins in the morning and afternoon or 30 mins all at once
    9 hours and over is 45 mins - 30 mins and 15 mins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mage)
    How bout working saturdays and sundays at sainsburys and work mon-fri on the the other one if you do get it. Then hand in your notice at sainsburys.
    I work Thurs, Sat and Sun at Sainsburys. It's my contract, and I have to work on Thur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)
    Working weekends might be a good idea, or you could ask for unpaid leave if you don't need the money?
    What is unpaid leave?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuyUK)
    What is unpaid leave?
    Basically just days off that you don't get paid for. My store is giving it away atm.
    Your supervisors might be able to work something out for you though. When I got a second job I was working Friday and Saturday but they let me change my Friday hours to a longer Saturday and Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    How do I go about a store transfer? Should I hand my notice in before because I don't know which uni I'll be going to yet so don't know which store I would like to change to but I know I want to leave my current Sainsburys at the start of September.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, just wanted some advice.

I have been in sainsburys HR for 4 years, i can't get promoted to store trainer(I've tried) and there is no progression. My current store is making me depressed which is seriously causing me to be ill - this has affected my absence levels. i tried to transfer recently to another store but because of absence levels they wouldn't accept me even though they put me through TWO interviews oh and also rejected me by letter, not even a phonecall when there were only two applicants - thats respect for you.

I have had enough and i seriously think i should quit, but i'm worried as the market at moment is not good, i graduated last year and at same time whilst working been looking for better employment - somewhere that pays more than 6.88 hour.

any advice or help would be highly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you can try to get work in another department, maybe admin or just shop floor, instead? You might be able to work your way up that way? But then, if the store itself is making you depressed and stuff, maybe that's not what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somerr)
    How do I go about a store transfer? Should I hand my notice in before because I don't know which uni I'll be going to yet so don't know which store I would like to change to but I know I want to leave my current Sainsburys at the start of September.
    I would advise to speak to your Department Manager and Personnel/HR Manager and explain the situation, from my experience they're always very helpful. Either they or you will then e-mail the stores at the towns you're considering working at who will say whether or not they are willing to take you.

Alternatively if they can't find you a place or due to whatever circumstances they might offer you the opportunity to come back and work over the holidays (especially Christmas). Either way, it's worth asking as you never know how it'll work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbunny)

I have been in sainsburys HR for 4 years, i can't get promoted to store trainer(I've tried) and there is no progression. My current store is making me depressed which is seriously causing me to be ill - this has affected my absence levels. i tried to transfer recently to another store but because of absence levels they wouldn't accept me even though they put me through TWO interviews oh and also rejected me by letter, not even a phonecall when there were only two applicants - thats respect for you.

I have had enough and i seriously think i should quit, but i'm worried as the market at moment is not good, i graduated last year and at same time whilst working been looking for better employment - somewhere that pays more than 6.88 hour.

I agree that you should speak to your manager about the possibility to move to another department. The new experiences and colleagues there may make you feel a bit happier and as far as I know, personnel is the only department without a Team Leader so there may be room to progress from there. Alternatively there might be an opportunity to step straight into a Team Leader in training position somewhere in the store, although with an absence problem they may want you to 'prove yourself' in the dept. first.

In September you could always apply for the graduate scheme if retail is something that interests you? (The retail scheme intends to train people to Deputy Store Manager level in something like 2 years, so there's definitely a lot of potential there.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbunny)

Is it the lack of progression which is making you depressed and ill or is it something else?

Tbh, it sounds like a bit of catch 22, the lack of progression is depressing you which is in turn making you ill which is in turn hindering your chances of progression. I think you need to have an open, honest conversation with your HR manager regarding this state everything you have said above to them and see what they say.

Also regularly look on the sainsburys.co.uk website for career opportunities, band 3 jobs or above come up quite regularly, you just need to keep an eye out. If you graduated with a 2:1 or above, have you considered Sains HR Graduate Scheme, or if your interested in Retail operation the Retail Graduate scheme is also an option (if you want more info about either of them PM me). The Trainee Manager scheme is also an option if you didn't get a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a maximum amount you can use the discount card? I was chatting to a neighbour earlier who works for a different supermarket who mentioned that the discount card can only be used up to a certain amount (I think £1000) after which it no longer works until the start of the next year. Is this true of the Sainsbury's card too?

Also any recommendations of where to get good black trousers with pockets? I just can't seem to find a pair with pockets which sucks as I like to have a pocket in my work trousers. I don't overly like the sainsburys pair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    Is there a maximum amount you can use the discount card? I was chatting to a neighbour earlier who works for a different supermarket who mentioned that the discount card can only be used up to a certain amount (I think £1000) after which it no longer works until the start of the next year. Is this true of the Sainsbury's card too?
    I doubt it - i'm sure i've spent double that in 6 months! A family of 5 doesn't eat cheaply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    Also any recommendations of where to get good black trousers with pockets? I just can't seem to find a pair with pockets which sucks as I like to have a pocket in my work trousers. I don't overly like the sainsburys pair
    I had the same problem for ages but I eventually got some in New Look. You might be able to get a cheaper pair in Primark though.

ReputationRep:
    Met my area manager for the first time today, she was so lovely!

On a 7am-3pm tomorrow though, less lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)
    I had the same problem for ages but I eventually got some in New Look. You might be able to get a cheaper pair in Primark though.
    Thanks I managed to get a pair for £5 in Primark.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.