The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

not very - august is a popular month for holidays!
i applied for a job in sainsburys and it states candidates must live within a 3 mile radius of the store. I am meant to be moving in about 2-4 weeks and it will be 6 mile away from the store. Will there be a problem with that? if i tell them i moved after a succesful interview
Original post by imabigboynow
i applied for a job in sainsburys and it states candidates must live within a 3 mile radius of the store. I am meant to be moving in about 2-4 weeks and it will be 6 mile away from the store. Will there be a problem with that? if i tell them i moved after a succesful interview

Will you still be able to manage to get to the store fine from 6miles away, if so then it should be fine.
yes i will take a train
Reply 9084
6 miles will almost certainly result in an unsuccessful application, they are so strict on the distance thing now - it was the first thing I was asked in my interview [whether I lived within that distance]
Reply 9085
That's just stupid. You give them your address when you sign up on the recruitment website. All they need to do is run a postcode check. They could do it automatically from HRSS and have them tell you you live too far away, would save everyone a lot of wasted time.
Reply 9086

I reapplied for a job asking for a 5 mile radius. I got an interview. However, on my application I listed my home address which is far away, while my university address is about 200 metres from the shop. So when they called to book the date and time for my interview, they cancelled it because I'd used my home address. (I moved to my university address 4 days later.)
ouch pj991, did you try to explain to them that you will be moving closer to the store later?
ouch pj991, did you try to explain to them that you will be moving closer to the store later?

I'm the same haha - If you live close to the shop your the most likely to the job as they can quickly call you in for over time and you can be at the store within 15 minutes > 0
hey to the girls or guys with longish hair :tongue: are you aloud to have your hair down whilst on checkouts?
Reply 9090
Original post by confused1993
hey to the girls or guys with longish hair :tongue: are you aloud to have your hair down whilst on checkouts?

The colleague handbook says "If you have shoulder length/long hair, you should tie it up with a band or slide of a neutral colour". Whether you can get away with not having it tied up depends on your Customer Service Manager :P!
Reply 9091
I asked my HR about a store transfer, and she said I'd have to phone the store I want myself and ask them about it before they email them. Did anyone else have to phone them up first? I get nervous about this sort of thing, I don't want to phone them up and them not have a clue why I did

Original post by confused1993

I actually wore my hair down for a few months, until one day I was in a different time so there was a different supervisor working. She was grumpy, and, from what I gather the next time I saw her, must've complained to the department manager about me >_> Even though the department manager has seen me loads of times and I always wore my hair down. So my department manager saw me on one of my breaks and asked if I could tie my hair back.

There are still odd days where I and other people wear their hair down, I usually do when I'm late and don't have the time :P No one cares. I suppose it completely depends on the other people around.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone have any experience of an interview for th TU clothing department? Exactly what does it consist of?
Original post by Jackie0hh
Does anyone have any experience of an interview for th TU clothing department? Exactly what does it consist of?

Hey, I work on TU now so I may be able to help you. :h:

The interview process for me was exactly the same as everyone else, regardless of department. It consisted of a few questions and watching a DVD with a test. There's a lot on this thread about the DVD already so I won't bore you with it. :tongue: You learn more about the TU department after you're offered the job and start receiving your training. :smile: Good luck!
Original post by briesandwich
Hey, I work on TU now so I may be able to help you. :h:

The interview process for me was exactly the same as everyone else, regardless of department. It consisted of a few questions and watching a DVD with a test. There's a lot on this thread about the DVD already so I won't bore you with it. :tongue: You learn more about the TU department after you're offered the job and start receiving your training. :smile: Good luck!

Great, thanks :biggrin: After spending the entire summer just constantly applying for jobs back home i'm so desperate to get this one at uni Even though it will mean finding sofas to crash on for the next few weeks till my lease starts!
My store has an internal vacancy for H&B assistant. If I wanted to apply, what should I put in the application letter?
Reply 9096
Original post by Debbie2709
My store has an internal vacancy for H&B assistant. If I wanted to apply, what should I put in the application letter?

I'd put in the position you're applying for, why you want it, what makes you perfect for the role, and any previous experience if applicable. Keep it short and sweet.
Original post by FXX
I'd put in the position you're applying for, why you want it, what makes you perfect for the role, and any previous experience if applicable. Keep it short and sweet.

Thanks, I think keeping it short and sweet will be the easy part. :biggrin: Do you think they are likely to have interviews or will they just pick someone based on how well they know us?
Reply 9098
Original post by Taurus92
Hey guys, 19 year old on checkouts here.

Going to university in September and know a couple of people who work at the same store who only work when they are back from university in the holidays.

Just wondering what the chances of getting this kind of contract are, i've worked 9 months here and havn't missed a days work and would love to stay on in the holidays, especially since most of my mates who have come back from uni have really struggled to get one.

I would apply to get transferred except that there isn't a Sainsbury's where i am going -.-

Cheers

My parents are moving to the other end of the country, thats means I will need to either a) find another job b) get a dual contract

Anyway. I asked my manager about it and see what she recomended, and she told me that they no longer issue dual store contracts (Although I don't know if this is due to her not wanting to organise around a dual contract, or if someone has actually told her that they are no longer allowed to do it).
Literally have just found this thread!

I've been working in Sainsbury's for nearly two years now but I'm leaving in four weeks as I'm going to university - I'm actually quite sad to be going if I'm honest! I work on Customer Service, started off on tills, but then got trained on self scan. After I showed I was capable of that, I was trained in everything else (CSD, kiosk and supervising) which is a lot better, sitting on a till for eight hours is now my idea of hell. Currently applying for dual store in Bath which is where I'm going to uni, I really do hope I'm successful!