Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielMartin)
    IKR lol - Carrying a birth certificate, passport and N.I Card + an iphone 3g + another phone and around £10 in cash :L

I'm a prime target LOL
    so how did your interview go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WDooley1)
    Spent over £800 of my pay so far on bills for this month & not even finished yet! Life sucks! Lol.
    Tell me about it, after I'm done paying bills Im just going to crawl back under my sheets.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone knows the address of the tax office? I need it for something personal. On the P60 form it only says Manchester Group >.<

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am handing in my notice on Monday as I will be moving away to go to university next month. I have not got a job offer or anything lined up at another Sainsburys store in the city that I am moving to, but I was just wondering if in my notice I could write that I would like a dual contract IF anything came up in the new city? Or can you only ask for a dual contract if you already have a job prepared for when you leave?

Similarly, my manager mentioned that I could work through christmas holidays, etc if I didn't have a job, although I'm not sure if he was just saying that for the hell of it. Could I mention that I would be willing to work during holiday time if I was available? or can you only do that if you are hired at another store anyway?

Sorry for all the questions!

P.S - is it just me or has this week been really terrible!? There have been so many overs in my department and staff not turning up/a lot on holiday! plus plinth change - nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah paying tax sucks but I guess it has to be done :rolleyes: At least I will have extra holiday next year for doing more hours, I just wish that they still kept overtime rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsRach)
    Hi guys, I am handing in my notice on Monday as I will be moving away to go to university next month. I have not got a job offer or anything lined up at another Sainsburys store in the city that I am moving to, but I was just wondering if in my notice I could write that I would like a dual contract IF anything came up in the new city? Or can you only ask for a dual contract if you already have a job prepared for when you leave?

Similarly, my manager mentioned that I could work through christmas holidays, etc if I didn't have a job, although I'm not sure if he was just saying that for the hell of it. Could I mention that I would be willing to work during holiday time if I was available? or can you only do that if you are hired at another store anyway?

Sorry for all the questions!

P.S - is it just me or has this week been really terrible!? There have been so many overs in my department and staff not turning up/a lot on holiday! plus plinth change - nightmare!
    I'm not sure about the dual contract stuff, but my manager told me I could write that I wanted to return as a vacational student in my notice and that I'd contact them when I know when I will be back home to work. That might be what he meant!

ReputationRep:
    Put on riot alert tonight, strange atmosphere to say the least!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,i have an interview next saturday and the guy on the phone said that it will involve a dvd test! i was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on what to expect so that i can be completely prepared as i really want the job as the hours are perfect to fit around my college timetable.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone here. Anyone know if I can find a part time 20 h/w evening or night job on Sainsburys? Or anywhere else. Thank you!!

(Original post by bogdann23)
    Hi everyone here. Anyone know if I can find a part time 20 h/w evening or night job on Sainsburys? Or anywhere else. Thank you!!
    http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/aboutus...areers_new.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigzak789)
    Hey guys,i have an interview next saturday and the guy on the phone said that it will involve a dvd test! i was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on what to expect so that i can be completely prepared as i really want the job as the hours are perfect to fit around my college timetable.
    A little bit of maths and some common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two)
    A little bit of maths and some common sense
    Thankyou

With that i should be fine then, i just gotta hope i get the job because like i say the hours are perfect suit me perfectly

ReputationRep:
    Work was exhausting today, fire alarm and two parasense alarms during it.

ReputationRep:
    so, I have a question for all you little Sainsberries!

Do you prefer earlies or lates, or mids in terms of shifts?

ReputationRep:

It depends on the day. If it is a weekday I prefer working nights. Day shift is full of the people that have worked there for 15 years or more, and I can''t be bothered with their winging about how they know their rights and the law says they have to have a break every 4.5 hours (Law states its 6 hours), and refuse to do anything that dosent involve sitting on a till. With late nights I'm usually surrounded by people my own age, and I get along with them, which means more gets done, and their usually gagging to get of till :P

On a Saturday I prefer days - simply because customers refuse to listen to tannoys during nights, and you can't take the cassettes out of self scan until the shop is clear of customers. We are meant to go and do the flight at half 10, but you often don't start flighting self scan until 1030. I nearly always get out at midnight :l

I've just cottoned on that it is the same man and woman who keep me behind on a Saturday so once the tannoys start going at 9:45, I track them two down and tell them they need to go to checkouts now.

I refuse to work Sundays on the basis that i've worked late night Friday until 1am, Saturday late night and i'm usually tired all day on Sunday (I do overtime on petrol tills if offered on a Sunday as it is easy and dosent require much concentration, and provides a change of scenery).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xangelinax)
    Work was exhausting today, fire alarm and two parasense alarms during it.
    Fire alarms are fun. Until you walk back in and realise that there are now 30 trolleys of returns that need to be put back...

At the beginning of the week we where evacuated twice due to the riots. I swear i've lost a few pounds from it :l

Funny thing is, as soon as we recovered from the evac, we had to go again. We had full trolleys lined up from our end checkout 44, down to checkout 27

ReputationRep:

Good question.
    I generally hate middle of the day shifts (especially if they're only 4 hours), its our busiest time so you're practically stuck to your till unless you get a break or are a 'chosen one'. I think the customers at this time are usually the nicest though so it could be worse.

I like evening shifts because they're usually pretty quiet and there's more chance of getting something else to do. You don't always get away on time though, which sucks. Our store used to contract people until 15minutes after closing time (Usually 8 but 9 on Thursday and Friday and 6 on Sunday) but they changed that for some reason. Is probably better to maybe have to stay until 10 past than definitely have to stay until quarter past anyways though.

I love early shifts on other departments because its great getting away early but I absolutely loathe them on checkouts during the week. The same two people (who have been there years, probably since the shop opened) refuse to do tills for more than 5minutes at a time so you're basically on them by yourself while they stand around talking. So frustrating.
    I don't know what Saturday mornings are like because I've always done middle of the day/ evening shifts and we don't open until 1 on Sunday so there isn't an early shift then (unless you're counting tills/working on fresh).

As much as I hated the idea of working Sundays when I agreed to do them, they're not as bad as I thought they were. Its a middle of the day shift (1-6) but its the complete opposite of every other day. Its quiet and boring all day but then 5 minutes to closing you get about 2-3 trolleys at each till so you never ever get away on time unless you've been purposely closed off. Is also very frustrating being told to stay on your till when there's nothing to do on them and other people are walking about.

Sorry bout the essay.
    Basically, I hate middle of the day shifts and probably prefer evening shifts to early ones, especially if I'm getting away on time.

ReputationRep:

I prefer midday shifts. Like a 10am-2pm. Those were great. It was often really busy, so I'd get to stay on a till. And, our store rumble was at 3pm, so I wouldn't have to take part in that either lol.

My Saturday shift used to be 12pm-8pm, which was okay as it stayed busy most of the time but it was a bit of a drag. I hated the fact that I left home at 10.30am and then didn't get home until 9.30pm [because of how long the bus took] - it made it a very long day.

My least favourite shift though was without doubt the late shift. I used to do 7pm-11pm every Thursday night and it was always dead! You'd be at a lose end as we'd have one till open at most [and often none at all - the person on self scan would jump on a till if someone came through with a big trolley]. That meant lots and lots of cleaning. Some shifts, we'd have like 4 people cleaning the checkouts for 2 hours each. It was crazy. That four hour shift always felt longer than my 8 hour Saturday shift, that's for sure!

ReputationRep:

Depends really. Probably midday/evening shifts as im really not a morning person... and the only 8am start I have is on Sunday, which I usually turn upto sleep deprived and hungover/still drunk. Then again, my other 2 shifts start at 5pm and, I dont know if anyone else gets this (?), but knowing ive to go into work later in the day kind of... puts a downer on whatever im doing earlier in the day, knowing ive to be home by a certain time to get ready, have dinner etc... Im not one for rushing either... I need a bit of wind down time to almost psychologically prepare myself before a shift... the place and customers really do put my head away. Another sucky thing about evening shifts, I dont finish until 11pm so im always playing catch up on nights out :/ my ideal shift would probably be something like 2pm-8pm... a good lie in beforehand + getting to go out at a reasonably normal hour afterwards

PS. im not actually an alcoholic bum... I just happen to work right before and right after the weeks most sociable hours. Lord knows how I stuck out nightshift on Friday and Saturday nights for nearly 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Night shifts all the way.

Absolutely love it. It's calm, peaceful, everyone I work with is awesome and there are no customers to deal with. It's brilliant. I don't think I would like working during the day as much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.