The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hate, hate, HATE working in the evenings, especially on Saturdays when I've got no Sixth Form beforehand and I spend the entire day annoyed that I need to go to work at 5pm. As well as that, I hardly ever get out on time on late nights because some dickhead invariably turns up at my till at 8:59 with a massive trolley, and because I'm usually the only one on a till at that time, I have to serve them. I'd much rather work an 8am-12 noon and get it out of the way nice and early. :smile:

I don't like working Sundays either - they really drag. Well, until the last hour when Tesco shuts and everyone flocks to Sainsbury's, which, again, means I never get out on time. :frown:
Reply 9181
I only work early mornings and it suits me ok. Getting up at 5am can be a bit of a drag, but I finish on time at midday every day and still have the rest of the day to myself. The shop is usually pretty quiet (except Saturdays after 10am) as well so it's not too bad.
Reply 9182
I like earlier shifts because it gets work out the way and I still have the rest of the day, but I mostly do evenings and midday which are ok. I agree that 12-8 on Saturday drags, but it's not too bad when I'm not on a till the whole time.
Does anyone else's stores have sashes for people on self scan that say here to help on them?
I assume that my application still being in progress after 5 days is quite normal, because as an ex-sainsburys employer for 2 years, I do not think I can take a rejection from them.
Original post by gunners r us
I assume that my application still being in progress after 5 days is quite normal, because as an ex-sainsburys employer for 2 years, I do not think I can take a rejection from them.

I waited 2 weeks for them to get back to me, Id already gotten another job that I was to start the same day as my induction with them.
Does anyone know what the Bank Holiday premium is for a Band 2 colleague on £6.37 p/h normally? (Or have they abolished that as well? :tongue:) When I first joined when I was 16 I was on £4.65 p/h and the premium was £2.02 for Bank Holidays. Does the extra increase as your normal pay increases?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9186
I am absolutely disgusted at how little I get paid more than a CSA once I'm fully signed off lol.

Its like an extra 60p per hour as a team leader :frown: + the £50 skills payment each month. Meh.
Reply 9187
Hey guys I've recently been offered a job at Sainsbury's and am waiting on induction :smile:

They told me I would get paid 6.21p/h but I turn 21 in a month's time. Will it go up?

Also I'll be working in a local store. Will I be trained to do most things and how many people often work in these smaller stores at one time?
Reply 9188
Original post by WDooley1
I am absolutely disgusted at how little I get paid more than a CSA once I'm fully signed off lol.

Its like an extra 60p per hour as a team leader :frown: + the £50 skills payment each month. Meh.

Did you not know that before you signed the dotted line? London weighting means basic employees get paid more than team leaders outside London.
Reply 9189
I've only just got my job at Sainsburys.. been almost a month and the other day Ive found out that my Uni day (as its a one day a week course) has changed from monday to wednesday :frown: .. but I specifcally chose these hours as they fitted around my course. Do you think Sainsburys will be ok about moving my days around or not? I don't want to quit my job but I still want to go to Uni
Original post by cr19694
I've only just got my job at Sainsburys.. been almost a month and the other day Ive found out that my Uni day (as its a one day a week course) has changed from monday to wednesday :frown: .. but I specifcally chose these hours as they fitted around my course. Do you think Sainsburys will be ok about moving my days around or not? I don't want to quit my job but I still want to go to Uni

they should be ok if you explain.
Reply 9191
I hope so. Do I speak to my department manager or do I go higher?
Reply 9192
Original post by cr19694
I hope so. Do I speak to my department manager or do I go higher?

your dept manager or team leader as they know your dept better than anyone and know where they need people.

a quick question for you guys, you know how sunday trading is up to 6 hours, how can leaving a self scan on for staff and nightshift to use not flag up on eagle eye or something that transactions are still being made? or does it get flagged up and they know it is for staff use? just curious.
Does anybody know what sort of questions i might be asked for the counter assistant position?

Also I've already done research on sainsburys and know that they also offer insurance (home,pet,car,over 50's etc)
I also know they have their own bank and that they do active kids and are the sponsors of the 2012 paralympic games but will this be enough or will i need to know annual turnover etc?
Reply 9194
Original post by Liam6993
Does anyone know what the Bank Holiday premium is for a Band 2 colleague on £6.37 p/h normally? (Or have they abolished that as well? :tongue:) When I first joined when I was 16 I was on £4.65 p/h and the premium was £2.02 for Bank Holidays. Does the extra increase as your normal pay increases?

Bank Holiday premium is £2.53/h for band 2 and £2.80/h for band 3. As far as I know even people joining now still have it. It's the only one left along with night shift premium.

Dunno when the premiums increase. But basic rate review thingy will be out sometime soon.
Original post by zigzak789
Does anybody know what sort of questions i might be asked for the counter assistant position?

Also I've already done research on sainsburys and know that they also offer insurance (home,pet,car,over 50's etc)
I also know they have their own bank and that they do active kids and are the sponsors of the 2012 paralympic games but will this be enough or will i need to know annual turnover etc?

I don't think they asked me anything about the company.
Original post by swarfliam
I don't think they asked me anything about the company.

Ok well i'll just stick with what i have so far then :smile:

Did they ask you the normal questions like
"Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?"

or did they throw in some more difficult questions?
What's the difference between band 2 and 3 and what is a CO2?

I did my first full self scan shift today - it was ok considering my training consisted of half an hour of being told to collect baskets / how to accept id and then being left alone on there for an hour before doing the test your knowledge. Thankfully no till rolls needed changing and non of the machines did anything too wrong. But I told my team leader how useless training was.
Reply 9198
Original post by FXX
Did you not know that before you signed the dotted line? London weighting means basic employees get paid more than team leaders outside London.

I knew that Sainsbury's already paid their CSA's that amount, but I didn't know their team leader's were paid that amount. When you factor in the skills payment of £50 per month, it works out at around £1 more per hour than the CSA's [£15k per year for team leaders] but it should totally be more.
Original post by zigzak789
Ok well i'll just stick with what i have so far then :smile:

Did they ask you the normal questions like
"Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?"

or did they throw in some more difficult questions?

Erm yeah.
Tell me about yourself.
What do you know about the role.
What makes you good for it
Why is the role important

The usual crap.

Latest

Trending

Trending