Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just gone past 3.5 years working at Sainsburys. Time has flown by, I don't really like working there, but I can't found another job.

I was wondering how long people have been working at Sainsburys? what you do? and if you like working there?

I mainly collect trolleys, baskets, emptying the recycle bins, work on self scan, checkouts, returning products, security tags and pods. I sometimes help with flighting pods and helping managers cash up self scans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatrinaLou)
    What's the difference between band 2 and 3
    Sainsbury's divides all its roles into bands or grades. Managers are bands 4S, 5S and 6S.

Non-management roles are arranged into bands 2 and 3 (apparently band 1 used to exist but they scrapped it). As far as I know, the band 3 roles are Merchandising Controller (CDA), Price & Advertising Controller, Store Trainer, Dispensing Assistant, Team Leader (+ a bit extra when they're signed off) and potentially Stock Controller too. All other non-management roles are band 2 (eg. General Assistant, Warehouse Assistant). Band 3 colleagues are paid more (something like 50p/h recruitment and 70p/h competent). I think the theory is band 3 roles are more technical and usually the staff need to be more self-reliant.

ReputationRep:
    When you hand in your notice, do you get whatever holidays you had left in your last pay package? xmas holidays etc included?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Erm yeah.
    Tell me about yourself.
    What do you know about the role.
    What makes you good for it
    Why is the role important

The usual crap.
    Fair enough.

Thankyou for answering my questions i appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigzak789)
    Ok well i'll just stick with what i have so far then

Did they ask you the normal questions like
    "Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?"

or did they throw in some more difficult questions?
    I got asked 'What did I know about Sainsbury's?' and 'Why did I want to work there?' Might have got a third question but I can't really remember. :confused:

Anyone here work in an NI store?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)
    I got asked 'What did I know about Sainsbury's?' and 'Why did I want to work there?' Might have got a third question but I can't really remember. :confused:

Ive worked in the West Belfast store since it opened over 2 years ago which one have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Debbie2709)

Thankyou

Ahh thats ok i've done some research so know some things about sainsburys, do you think i would need to know things like how many stores they have or just the big things like they do insurance, have their own bank etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cjcw20)
    When you hand in your notice, do you get whatever holidays you had left in your last pay package? xmas holidays etc included?

Want to know this too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam6993)
    I hate, hate, HATE working in the evenings, especially on Saturdays when I've got no Sixth Form beforehand and I spend the entire day annoyed that I need to go to work at 5pm. As well as that, I hardly ever get out on time on late nights because some ******** invariably turns up at my till at 8:59 with a massive trolley, and because I'm usually the only one on a till at that time, I have to serve them. I'd much rather work an 8am-12 noon and get it out of the way nice and early.
    At our store they let us finish on checkouts 5 minutes early so we have time to close down and cash up. Because, you know, cashing up is part of the job, not just being on the till. If people get irritated saying "but you're the only one open" I tell them to tell the supervisor, because I don't make the timetable >_< I have to do this though, because I finish at 9pm and the bus comes at 9:10, so if I miss it the next bus is 9:40 >_< And the journey takes 40 mins. In my earlier days, I did get intimidated by the customers who said there were hardly any open, but it *is* the supervisors job to make sure there are sufficient tills open >_>

(Original post by zigzak789)
    Does anybody know what sort of questions i might be asked for the counter assistant position?
    The interviewer I had asked me if I knew which road Sainsbury's started...it says on their site, I've forgotten it now XD He said that he in particular liked to ask that question, though

ReputationRep:
    You'll get paid for whatever proportion of holiday you're owed. Say you were given 100h of holiday for the whole holiday year and you leave half way through (so earned 50h). You took 28h of holiday during those 6 months, you would be paid for the 22h that you hadn't taken.

On the other hand if you'd taken 62h holiday in the first 6 months then they'd charge you back 12h.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjgoth)
    You'll get paid for whatever proportion of holiday you're owed. Say you were given 100h of holiday for the whole holiday year and you leave half way through (so earned 50h). You took 28h of holiday during those 6 months, you would be paid for the 22h that you hadn't taken.

On the other hand if you'd taken 62h holiday in the first 6 months then they'd charge you back 12h.

I'll have been there 6 months when i quit, does that effect my holiday pay when i go?
    I didn't take any btw.

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to give a notice to the HR people if I want a dual store contract or can I mention it in my leaving notice? Also what did you write apart from explaining them that you're going off to university. I am really struggling for words. Managed to write 5 lines so far :eek:

(Original post by mkb230)
    Do I have to give a notice to the HR people if I want a dual store contract or can I mention it in my leaving notice? Also what did you write apart from explaining them that you're going off to university. I am really struggling for words. Managed to write 5 lines so far :eek:
    Your notice doesn't need to be any more than the date of your final shift and maybe a thanks if you enjoyed working there.

ReputationRep:
    I got a verbal offer the other day and on my online application it said Verbal Offer - Accepted. Just looked now and that has disappeared, Is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    Ive worked in the West Belfast store since it opened over 2 years ago which one have you applied for?
    I'm in Armagh, and have been for over 2 years.
    Did you get the briefing about the thing happening tomorrow? I'm not going to say what it is because I'm not sure if we're allowed to, but I will say that I'm so glad I'm not working again until Saturday .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Your notice doesn't need to be any more than the date of your final shift and maybe a thanks if you enjoyed working there.
    Arghh cheers ! I was running out of nice things to say Could you also tell me if I need to make a request in writing to the HR personnel for a dual store contract?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ive been asked by my departments team leader if I can push back my holiday in a fortnight because there is 5 people taking there holiday on that week and its also plinth change. I don't know if I should, it means I would have a week off two days after payday but I kind of need a week off from the mad house that is my store. The only reason they asked me out of the 5 others is because I can get through 1500 tickets and confirm them in a 8 hour shift so I also feel kind of nice from that comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matt93UK)
    I got a verbal offer the other day and on my online application it said Verbal Offer - Accepted. Just looked now and that has disappeared, Is that normal?
    Very normal, mines kept saying things like I was still to get interviewed and such when infact I was about to go do my induction. You'd think with the amount of money they make they would invest in some better oracle coders.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I still have to wait until the 1st October to get my discount card. It feels like I have been working at Sainsburys for a VERY long time...:rolleyes:

Also, I find it very hard to say no to overtime and find myself agreeing to the shifts they offer because no one else will do them and I feel bad that they are understaffed. I really just want to stick for my contracted hours for now. Does anyone else feel guilty about passing up overtime or can't say no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemMills)
    Also, I find it very hard to say no to overtime and find myself agreeing to the shifts they offer because no one else will do them and I feel bad that they are understaffed. I really just want to stick for my contracted hours for now. Does anyone else feel guilty about passing up overtime or can't say no?
    Yes, absolutely. However my studies are my priority so I've started to cut back on the extra hours. I've been in 30-35hrs every week for the past month or so and while the money is good, I feel like I'm never out of the place so it'll be good to get back to my normal hours in a way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.